• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
knowing what a music geek you are brewing i give you this to enjoy:

Techno Lawrence of Arabia? Troy in space? Hmmm... More a tone poem to set a scene than an overarching theme. Zimmer essentially repeats what he did with Dunkirk in terms of tonally setting a scene and theme, and uses the musical cues and forms he used in Troy. Villenueve's powerful visuals and flowing action sequences are the stars here. The music isn't necessarily a character in itself, as it would be in a John Williams soundtrack, but is there to enhance the eye candy and more engage the viewer in the overall experience.

Yeah. Gotta go see it in a theatre. IMAX, baby...

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The Lynch opening, with the lovely Virginia Madsen telling us what's what, and the lush Toto theme music...

Funny to think that a David Lynch film would be held up as the "traditional" example! But, then, a bildungsroman is about the oldest storytelling form there is.

Eight

Gary Oldman and Daniel Day Lewis would be my picks.

oldman is a good pick.

lewis would as well, but he has basically gone to the woods and given up acting. the video of him preparing with the green beret to prepare for the last of the mohicans is amazing.

lewis learned to reload a muzzle loader on the run to prep for the epic final scene

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

Just took the kiddo to see Jungle Cruise tonight. They took the overdone CGI from Pirates of the Caribbean and the preposterous writing from National Treasure 2 and said, “let’s see if we can combine these to remake Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
I mean, it looks like a legitimately bad movie based on the commercial I’ve seen roughly 38x while watching the olympics. I like the Rock and I like Emily Blount, but the movie doesn’t look good.

Frog-in-law1995

try
I mean, it looks like a legitimately bad movie based on the commercial I’ve seen roughly 38x while watching the olympics. I like the Rock and I like Emily Blount, but the movie doesn’t look good.

Was hoping it was going to be a little more like Jumanji, which was pretty good in a “take your kid” kind of way. This was just a mess. And right when you think the story line can’t get more outrageous, they bring the high heat.

tcudoc

I watched “Nobody” with Bob Odenkirk the other day on an American Airlines flight. I had super low expectations about it because I had never heard of it and only picked it because I love Odenkirk as an actor.
I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It felt a bit like Bruce Willis in the original Die Hard. Lots of gratuitous violence. Has anybody else seen it? I can’t tell if it was really pretty good or if I just had such low expectations that it beat my expectations by quite a bit. I don’t recall it ever being in theaters.

Ron Swanson

I watched “Nobody” with Bob Odenkirk the other day on an American Airlines flight. I had super low expectations about it because I had never heard of it and only picked it because I love Odenkirk as an actor.
I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It felt a bit like Bruce Willis in the original Die Hard. Lots of gratuitous violence. Has anybody else seen it? I can’t tell if it was really pretty good or if I just had such low expectations that it beat my expectations by quite a bit. I don’t recall it ever being in theaters.
I remember seeing commercials for it and thinking “that doesn’t look very good but I will probably watch it because of Bob Odenkirk”

What Up Toad

It was in theaters. I went and saw it because it was written by the same guy who did the John Wick films.

And that's how I'd describe it. Campy John Wick.