• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

JugbandFrog

Might I recommend: The Big Red One with Lee Marvin, The Wind and the Lion with Sean Connery as, well, about as convincing a part as Sir Lawrence Olivier in Khartoum, and A Bridge Too Far, with just about everybody they could round up who was a Big Star at the time.

Oh, and go watch Master and Commander again. Just cause.

The "War Movie" genre isn't really about war, necessarily, but more about friendships and trust in terrible situations. "Buddy Movies" with more blood and things blowing up than normal. It is as rare to find a good one as it is to find a good film in any area, but perhaps even more so now with the lack of knowledge displayed by writers in these sad times.
Master and Commander is excellent, as is Black Hawk Down

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Master and Commander is excellent, as is Black Hawk Down
Master and Commander is fun, partially because I really liked the Patrick O'Brian books, and also because fimmaker Peter Weir got so many things right. He and the scriptwriter got a lot of things wrong, too (The "disguised ship" ploy never worked in the books...), but the things gotten right far outweighed them and made for a wonderful film. Whoever the actor is that played Preserved Killick got it dead on. Dead. On.

Black Hawk Down was good, and it was curious to see a British outfit (Ridley Scott's production company) doing an American battle story. Tom Sizemore and Sam Shepard were just great. I highly recommend Mark Bowden's book on the incident.

I would also recommend Act of Valor for a look. Essentially a movie made by SEALs for SEALs (It was originally put together as a recruiting film for internal Navy use, but somehow got moved to a Real Film status), with active duty guys in the "starring" roles and using live ammo in the "action" shots. There is a completely different feel to the film, as they people making it are not Hollywood types, but actual operators who were given carte blanche to play around with a lot of nifty toys to add realism. At some point, there is a shot of an Ohio-class boomer surfacing from under a boat that is just mind-blowing. Hollywood would have done it with dopey CGI. The Navy? "Get me Admiral so-and-so at PACFLT..."

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
I haven't watched Black Hawk Down because I was reading the classified message traffic as it was happening and was pretty horrified by the whole thing.
I think Tora, Tora, Tora is one of the best war movies. Pearl Harbor attack told from both sides, with a Japanese production crew telling their side, and an American crew telling ours.
And just for fun, The Final Countdown. USS Nimitz time-travels back to just before Pearl Harbor. Do they intervene and change history?

Eight

Master and Commander is fun, partially because I really liked the Patrick O'Brian books, and also because fimmaker Peter Weir got so many things right. He and the scriptwriter got a lot of things wrong, too (The "disguised ship" ploy never worked in the books...), but the things gotten right far outweighed them and made for a wonderful film. Whoever the actor is that played Preserved Killick got it dead on. Dead. On.

Black Hawk Down was good, and it was curious to see a British outfit (Ridley Scott's production company) doing an American battle story. Tom Sizemore and Sam Shepard were just great. I highly recommend Mark Bowden's book on the incident.

I would also recommend Act of Valor for a look. Essentially a movie made by SEALs for SEALs (It was originally put together as a recruiting film for internal Navy use, but somehow got moved to a Real Film status), with active duty guys in the "starring" roles and using live ammo in the "action" shots. There is a completely different feel to the film, as they people making it are not Hollywood types, but actual operators who were given carte blanche to play around with a lot of nifty toys to add realism. At some point, there is a shot of an Ohio-class boomer surfacing from under a boat that is just mind-blowing. Hollywood would have done it with dopey CGI. The Navy? "Get me Admiral so-and-so at PACFLT..."

the overhead shot of the twin 60's and the mini gun in act of valor is pretty amazing with the tracers and the amount of firepower being delivered on a target

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Might I recommend: The Big Red One with Lee Marvin, The Wind and the Lion with Sean Connery as, well, about as convincing a part as Sir Lawrence Olivier in Khartoum, and A Bridge Too Far, with just about everybody they could round up who was a Big Star at the time.

Oh, and go watch Master and Commander again. Just cause.

The "War Movie" genre isn't really about war, necessarily, but more about friendships and trust in terrible situations. "Buddy Movies" with more blood and things blowing up than normal. It is as rare to find a good one as it is to find a good film in any area, but perhaps even more so now with the lack of knowledge displayed by writers in these sad times.
Crimson Tide

ShadowFrog

Moderators

....and the Brown Water swift boats.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
...And there isn't a line in the film where one of the characters doesn't cough or sneeze.
Trivia Fact from that film, made entirely without Pentagon cooperation i.e facilities, equipment, submarines, etc. and in the closing shots that was the real USS Alabama cruising away but, again, without approval. Still, excellent film.

Just finished The Tomorrow War on Amazon. Not too bad, and action galore, wow. The aliens were intense.

Gets a bit corny in spots at the end and has what I thought were some minor plot holes (like every movie though) here and there but other than that, quite solid. I was easily entertained.

Just finished watching it and the last 30 minutes are about as bad as I've ever seen. The rest was decent but, my God, that was horrendous. At least the great Richard Splett and the hot chick from Chuck were in it.