• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

What Up Toad

Just watched The Suicide Squad. Loved it.

Some may hate it though. I think it’s a very fine line on whether you will enjoy it or not but I certainly did. It’s very much a comedy at times and I was laughing throughout. Also, it’s pretty gory at times.

It is a bazillion times better than the first one. The music was great too, depending on your tastes.

Stay on the lookout for the Spanish secretary, wowzas…

I liked The Suicide Squad, but it's definitely one of the goriest movies I've seen in a long time.

And you definitely won't be able to miss the secretary.

Eight

Huge Tolkien fan here and I am glad Peter Jackson is not directing. His fight scenes and invincible characters, especially Legolas, became preposterous as the series progressed. The Hobbit series was almost unwatchable. Legolas and the Dwarves from the Hobbit might be able to kill 10,000 Orca in about 10 minutes.

the most amazing thing about legolas is that somehow he never, ever ran out of arrows

heck, even hawkeye ran out of arrows in the marvel stories, but not the magic quiver of legolas

agree on the dwarves as well in the 5 armies. 2 dwarves versus 100 goblins?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I believe I have come to hate the Peter Jackson films more each time I run across them. I cannot imagine Tolkein's works ever being filmed again, what with the properties being worth so much the studio will hang onto that cash-cow until the SMOD wallops the planet.

BrewingFrog

I think the first and third lord of the rings were overrated but the second one - twin towers - is good.

the two big battles are strong.
The only thing I can say is that, in referring to the Two Towers, I am reminded of a thread on the venerable Ace Of Spades site, where they were discussing the horror of the future Olympics events. One commenter lamented, "How long until they bring in Dwarf Tossing as an Event?"

A witty wag replied: "Shortly."

Bizarro Frog

Fellowship of the Ring had pretty good battle scenes but then Jackson fell in love with tossing dwarves and Legolas sliding down things like he’s on a Chive TV video. He also completely changed Gimli and most all of the Dwarves into Dirty Highlanders. It was clever at times but mostly opposite from their nature in the source material.

Froglaw

I saw Stillwater.

I liked it.

Foreign Justice systems scare the he!! out of me.

Every time we complain about our jury system we must realize how unique we are and how well it works the vast majority of the time.

BrewingFrog

this from the man (we think) who was excited about a movie involving andy dwyer getting a message from the future during a televised soccer match which would reach about 2% of the us population that volunteers were needed decades in the future to fight advanced aliens that could survive all types of modern weapons and yet be killed with a single shot hunting rifle

so one movie is based upon the works of the father of modern fantasy literature and who was part of the literary group the inklings that included one of the greatest christian writers of all time cs lewis and the other is a rip off of the tom cruise movie edge of tomorrow mashed up with war of the worlds

are we shocked which one steel prefers?
"Stuff got blowed up reeeal good!"

steelfrog

Tier 1
this from the man (we think) who was excited about a movie involving andy dwyer getting a message from the future during a televised soccer match which would reach about 2% of the us population that volunteers were needed decades in the future to fight advanced aliens that could survive all types of modern weapons and yet be killed with a single shot hunting rifle

so one movie is based upon the works of the father of modern fantasy literature and who was part of the literary group the inklings that included one of the greatest christian writers of all time cs lewis and the other is a rip off of the tom cruise movie edge of tomorrow mashed up with war of the worlds

are we shocked which one steel prefers?
Steel has no idear what movie you're talking about.

If you are talking about Forever War, it was putrid

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
FWIW...

7 Best TV shows of the summer (per WaPo):

Blindspotting (Starz)
Dave (FXX)
Evil (Paramount Plus)
Reservation Dogs (FX on Hulu)
The Other Two (HBO Max)
Tuca and Bertie (Cartoon Network)
The White Lotus (HBO)

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
FWIW...

7 Best TV shows of the summer (per WaPo):

Blindspotting (Starz)
Dave (FXX)
Evil (Paramount Plus)
Reservation Dogs (FX on Hulu)
The Other Two (HBO Max)
Tuca and Bertie (Cartoon Network)
The White Lotus (HBO)

The only one I watched was The White Lotus, and I thought it was....stupid.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Steel may have made this recommendation before, but on Netflix for history buffs, there's a 10-episode series on Hitler called Hitler's Circle of Evil that is fascinating look at the personalities around Hitler, including many of the lesser known but critically important ones like Heydrich and Bormann