• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Chongo94

Furiosa is apparently struggling at the box office. Not surprised. No star power and corny looking trailers didn’t help.

Casting someone like Anya Taylor-Joy to play the role Charlize Theron made amazing was a horrendous choice and definitely didn’t help either. No way that actress screams action and physically demanding.

Cougar/Frog

Furiosa is apparently struggling at the box office. Not surprised. No star power and corny looking trailers didn’t help.

Casting someone like Anya Taylor-Joy to play the role Charlize Theron made amazing was a horrendous choice and definitely didn’t help either. No way that actress screams action and physically demanding.
Someone is trying too hard to put her everywhere. I don't like ATJ and find her almost as annoying as Zendaya.

Froglaw

Alamo Movie Grill shows classics on Sunday.

Showgirl Frog’s daughter and English hubby are in town from Britain.

I‘ve got us four tickets for Stagecoach (Duke included) this Sunday.

Beats most of the crap being put out this summer.

JugbandFrog

It’s got its issues, but I would rank Battle Los Angeles as one of my favorite Alien Invasion movies. It gets a lot of things right, especially the action/battle scenes in terms of entertainment. Good sound and editing.

My number one alien invasion is Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise.

As far as others, most just focus too much on the drama.

tcudoc

It’s got its issues, but I would rank Battle Los Angeles as one of my favorite Alien Invasion movies. It gets a lot of things right, especially the action/battle scenes in terms of entertainment. Good sound and editing.

My number one alien invasion is Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise.

As far as others, most just focus too much on the drama.
I guess my favorite in that genre is Gotaways: The Hidden Border Crisis (2023)
I’m not familiar with the ones you mentioned.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
I like Mars Attacks. ;)
MV5BNThlMjBmOWItNjljZi00ZGU4LWJkZjgtNWU1ZjI1MTg4MzczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse

I saw it Saturday. It is dreadful.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Mrs. Brewingfrog and I took in the two Dune films recently. I found them to be wonderfully shot and absolutely brilliant from a Production Design standpoint. Script was reasonably good, but slid into the Usual Crap of "strong female girl-boss" with Chani. I suppose the girl they had cast into that role excels at scowling, so they let her play to her strengths. Timothy Chalamet was surprisingly good as Paul, and Rebecca Fergusen was fabulous playing Lady Jessica. Jason Momoa was wonderful, as usual, and will be back on the payroll as a ghola very soon. Javier Bardem looked like he was doing nothing more than playing Anthony Quinn's "Auda" in Lawrence of Arabia. Of course, Herbert himself probably had that role in mind when he was writing Stilgar...

My main annoyance with the films has to do with composer Hans Zimmer. The "primitive woman shouting incoherently" at dramatic points grated at first, then descended into torture. I don't understand why this was repeated over and over, although thankfully it only happened a couple of times in the second part. It was extremely annoying and really took me out of the picture. Bad Hans. Bad! Figure out another sonic way of emphasizing a dramatic point than a recording of a woman having a finger cut off...

I have read that Villenueve has gotten Dune III greenlighted. Considering the dark nature of the source materiel (which I began about four decades ago, and put down halfway through because I ran out of patience), it will test the modern cinematic audience.

tcudoc

Mrs. Brewingfrog and I took in the two Dune films recently. I found them to be wonderfully shot and absolutely brilliant from a Production Design standpoint. Script was reasonably good, but slid into the Usual Crap of "strong female girl-boss" with Chani. I suppose the girl they had cast into that role excels at scowling, so they let her play to her strengths. Timothy Chalamet was surprisingly good as Paul, and Rebecca Fergusen was fabulous playing Lady Jessica. Jason Momoa was wonderful, as usual, and will be back on the payroll as a ghola very soon. Javier Bardem looked like he was doing nothing more than playing Anthony Quinn's "Auda" in Lawrence of Arabia. Of course, Herbert himself probably had that role in mind when he was writing Stilgar...

My main annoyance with the films has to do with composer Hans Zimmer. The "primitive woman shouting incoherently" at dramatic points grated at first, then descended into torture. I don't understand why this was repeated over and over, although thankfully it only happened a couple of times in the second part. It was extremely annoying and really took me out of the picture. Bad Hans. Bad! Figure out another sonic way of emphasizing a dramatic point than a recording of a woman having a finger cut off...

I have read that Villenueve has gotten Dune III greenlighted. Considering the dark nature of the source materiel (which I began about four decades ago, and put down halfway through because I ran out of patience), it will test the modern cinematic audience.
If you’ve ever heard a soundtrack by Hans Gruber, you will never complain about Hans Zimmer again. The screams are even worse.
1717522442223.gif

FrogCop19

I agree with all of this. Rebecca Ferguson is phenomenal in anything she does, but she played the Machiavellian role to a T here. Chalamet is very talented in anything he does. I went into Wonka pessimistically, but he channeled the perfect amount of Gene Wilder; is hystericalnot a blatant copy, just a perfect homage. His recurring SNL character SmokeCheddaDaAssGetta is hysterical.

My favorite scene for the cinematography is the arena fight scene on Giedi Prime. Never seen anything like it.

Really enjoyed both, recognizing that it probably moves too slowly for people either not familiar with the story or expecting a full-on action movie.

Chongo94

I agree with all of this. Rebecca Ferguson is phenomenal in anything she does, but she played the Machiavellian role to a T here. Chalamet is very talented in anything he does. I went into Wonka pessimistically, but he channeled the perfect amount of Gene Wilder; is hystericalnot a blatant copy, just a perfect homage. His recurring SNL character SmokeCheddaDaAssGetta is hysterical.

My favorite scene for the cinematography is the arena fight scene on Giedi Prime. Never seen anything like it.

Really enjoyed both, recognizing that it probably moves too slowly for people either not familiar with the story or expecting a full-on action movie.
Agree with most points. I liked both efforts overall as well.

One other middling complaint/thought I had was that the ending of Dune 2 seemed very rushed. Everything seemed to happen so quickly…would have liked for a little more build up on some aspects towards the end.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Stumbled upon a movie on Netflix that turned out to be surprisingly good. "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society."

It's about the residents of Guernsey in the aftermath of the German occupation of the island during WWII. (The actor who played "Hangman" in TG-Maverick is part of the cast.) Worth a watch...but be sure to use closed captions.

FrogCop19

Stumbled upon a movie on Netflix that turned out to be surprisingly good. "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society."

It's about the residents of Guernsey in the aftermath of the German occupation of the island during WWII. (The actor who played "Hangman" in TG-Maverick is part of the cast.) Worth a watch...but be sure to use closed captions.

That dude is in everything now. Hell, he's in a movie where he plays six different versions of the same character.

Chongo94

New action comedy done by some of the John Wick people. Doesn’t look half bad…but also no award candidate either. I’ll probably still check it out.

The Killer’s Game.