• The KillerFrogs

Official World Cup 2018 Thread...

Purp

Been watching EPL faithfully for about 4 years now but don’t have a team. Really thinking I am going go with Liverpool. They were so fun to watch last year. Any die hard EPL guys with some HSO’s?
Tottenham. Whatever you do don't go with Man City, Man U, or Chelsea. You want a club that has a chance to win the league, but isn't like picking the Yankees or Lakers to go with the front runner. A club that is always competitive, but doesn't achieve that level by buying their way to the top. It should also have a legit, home grown superstar.

That pretty much leaves you with Tottenham Hotspur. Other great things about the club are the fans/tradition (EPL equivalent of the lovable Cubbies) and a brand new stadium.

The only bad thing I can say about Spurs is that they chose to not retain the name White Hart Lane for it's new stadium. White Hart Lane was home of the club since the 19th century. You can't abandon such a fantastic name when the new stadium is on the same ground as the old stadium. It would be equivalent to the Cubs or Red Sox razing and rebuilding new stadia adjacent to their current, iconic ones and jettisoning the names Wrigley and Fenway.

At least they didn't sell out to a corporate sponsor for naming rights. I can live with Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

ETA: Initially I learned toward Liverpool like you, but Tom Hicks in the ownership group soured me on that club when he destroyed the Stars and Rangers. I wasn't prepared to have him destroy another of my teams so I picked Spurs.

I also followed Fulham closely bc they always had several Americans in the starting 11. Thrilled to see them back in the EPL. Speaking of great names for stadia, I think Craven Cottage is the best you'll find anywhere. Especially since White Hart Lane is history.

Last edited:

SuperTFrog

For the record, I always play with Tottenham on FIFA on PS4 for some reason. Got to watch a lot of their player deep into the World Cup with England and some other.

Belgium was my team because of Lukaku, de Bruyne, Hazard, Kompany, Curtois, etc, but it was fun seeing so many players from Tottenham sprinkled throughout the World Cup as well.

Not sure if duel citizenship is acceptable (rooting for both) or if that is like being a Baylor and TCU fan.

dawg

Been watching EPL faithfully for about 4 years now but don’t have a team. Really thinking I am going go with Liverpool. They were so fun to watch last year. Any die hard EPL guys with some HSO’s?

I'd say go with your gut and whatever team you're most drawn to. If you're in to and enjoy watching the club play, you'll build that bond faster and stronger. Purp nailed it, and i'll second his points about the Manchester clubs and Chelski. I started watching EPL in 2003 and was drawn to Arsenal and the style of football they played. Now I'm a #Gooner4Life.

At least they didn't sell out to a corporate sponsor for naming rights. I can live with Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Well...about that...

“It’s a necessary and critical component of financing a modern football stadium,” [Daniel Levy] said.

Looks like he is biding his time, a la Jerry originally naming JerryWorld "Cowboys Stadium" until he got the deal he thought it deserved.

http://www.cityam.com/289828/tottenham-hotspur-stadium-why-dont-spurs-have-naming-rights

Chongo94

Regarding Spurs, if you decide to follow them, be prepared for bandwagon comments in the near future. For whatever the reasons, they seem to be the hip/in choice among new(ish) EPL fans. Lots of new fans seem to be gravitating towards them. Also, be prepared for continual heartache and annoyance as they always manage to trip over their own feet when it comes time to win a trophy...I kid I kid.

All that said, Purp and Dawg’s advice is best.

Edit: just to add, Tottenham generally seem to do things the right way most of the time, and their kits are consistently, usually, some of the best in the league. And if their stadium can successfully recreate Borussia Dortmund’s yellow wall, that will be awesome. I’d easily pick them over ManU and Chelsea, the ultimate bandwagon teams.

Last edited:

Chongo94

Frog-in-law1995

I got in on the ground floor with Tottenham when they were [ Finebaum ]ty and have enjoyed the ride. I’d probably jump on Fulham right now. Promoted up, in the shadow of Chelsea, but still a decent central/west London fan base. With a little early success, they could grow into a good club. I’ll be rooting for them.

Purp

I'd say go with your gut and whatever team you're most drawn to. If you're in to and enjoy watching the club play, you'll build that bond faster and stronger. Purp nailed it, and i'll second his points about the Manchester clubs and Chelski. I started watching EPL in 2003 and was drawn to Arsenal and the style of football they played. Now I'm a #Gooner4Life.

Well...about that...

“It’s a necessary and critical component of financing a modern football stadium,” [Daniel Levy] said.

Looks like he is biding his time, a la Jerry originally naming JerryWorld "Cowboys Stadium" until he got the deal he thought it deserved.

http://www.cityam.com/289828/tottenham-hotspur-stadium-why-dont-spurs-have-naming-rights
I loved Arsenal a decade ago for many of the same reasons I settled on Tottenham. Cesc Fabregas was maybe my favorite EPL player at the time and they had so much young and creative talent they looked to be great for a long time. But Wenger's style is to develop great talent and sell it once the peak prime years hit. He never kept his best players long enough for me to really get invested in the club.

Purp

For the record, I always play with Tottenham on FIFA on PS4 for some reason. Got to watch a lot of their player deep into the World Cup with England and some other.

Belgium was my team because of Lukaku, de Bruyne, Hazard, Kompany, Curtois, etc, but it was fun seeing so many players from Tottenham sprinkled throughout the World Cup as well.

Not sure if duel citizenship is acceptable (rooting for both) or if that is like being a Baylor and TCU fan.
I've always rooted for multiple clubs. No trouble there. I don't have anything against Liverpool other than the fact Everton was one of the clubs I pulled for due to Timmy Howard and you can't be an Everton fan and support Liverpool also. Honestly, with Howard long gone and Liverpool so talented and deep I may find myself pulling for them some this season. Anyone but Chelsea, Man U, or City.

Purp

Also, be prepared for continual heartache and annoyance as they always manage to trip over their own feet when it comes time to win a trophy...
This is very true. Hence the lovable Cubbies reference. I should probably have specified that I was referring to the Cubs under the Billy Goat Curse.

Tom Brown

I've always rooted for multiple clubs. No trouble there. I don't have anything against Liverpool other than the fact Everton was one of the clubs I pulled for due to Timmy Howard and you can't be an Everton fan and support Liverpool also. Honestly, with Howard long gone and Liverpool so talented and deep I may find myself pulling for them some this season. Anyone but Chelsea, Man U, or City.

Agreed no big 4. Never. Unless your family has for ages.

Chongo94

This is how I am with the Bundesliga. I love that league perhaps more than the EPL. Was a huge Bayern fan growing up but after spending some time near Hamburg they became the one that brought me the most fan aggravation. But I generally just seem to pull for multiple clubs in that league. Will be watching Nuremberg with great interest this year seeing as how they’ve returned to the top flight again.

I also tend to root for the newly promoted clubs to do well. Wolves in the EPL may create some waves this season in that regard.

Purp

This is how I am with the Bundesliga. I love that league perhaps more than the EPL. Was a huge Bayern fan growing up but after spending some time near Hamburg they became the one that brought me the most fan aggravation. But I generally just seem to pull for multiple clubs in that league. Will be watching Nuremberg with great interest this year seeing as how they’ve returned to the top flight again.

I also tend to root for the newly promoted clubs to do well. Wolves in the EPL may create some waves this season in that regard.
I'm hoping Fulham do too. I've always been partial to Hannover 96 and Schalke mostly bc of their names. Also liked Gladbach for the same reason. Just liked saying them. I went to Germany in 04 for the opening weekend of Bundesliga and saw games in Stuttgart, Cologne, and Aachen in consecutive days. Love that league. Glad Fox covers it well. Used to be near impossible to find games.

tcujsauce

I'm hoping Fulham do too. I've always been partial to Hannover 96 and Schalke mostly bc of their names. Also liked Gladbach for the same reason. Just liked saying them. I went to Germany in 04 for the opening weekend of Bundesliga and saw games in Stuttgart, Cologne, and Aachen in consecutive days. Love that league. Glad Fox covers it well. Used to be near impossible to find games.

Have my tickets reserved for Bayern and M’Gladbach in Munich this fall. So pumped.

Purp

Have my tickets reserved for Bayern and M’Gladbach in Munich this fall. So pumped.
That would be awesome, but I think I'd rather see it in Munchengladbach. I just really love the smaller, more quaint venues for European soccer. I'd still love to go with you.