• The KillerFrogs

Official TCU Men's Tennis thread -- NC or bust

Jared7

And OU wins 4-3.  So, after all that, the finals will be a re-match from last season: Oklahoma v. Virginia.  I guess I'm for OU, because of the Big12 (which has only won 1 previous NCAA championship) and because we beat them in the regular season.  Although I think Virginia will be favored.  Either way, I just want it over with so that singles competition can get started and we can get back to rooting for the Frogs.

jake102

Singles draw is out

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/tennis-men_d1_singles_2016.pdf

Norrie got a mediocre draw and Rybakov got two pretty beatable opponents then a very tough road. 

Norrie will start with Redlicki from Arkansas who is ranked #21... 6-8" dude. If this goes indoors, could be trouble. Either guy he could play in 2nd round is easier than Redlicki. Round of 16 opponent is likely Diego Hidalgo of Florida (#10)

If he gets through that, he's likely got #3 Koepfer or #9 Thai Son in the quarters. Norrie beat Koepfer in the fall. 

Semis would most likely be #1 Torpegaard of Ohio State, #15 Fawcett or #12 Lenz. 

Rybakov starts with #45 Di Feo and likely gets #13 Mansouri in 2nd round. If he gets through there he has a big test in #6 McDonald of UCLA in round of 16. His quarters opponent would likely be #2 Cid. Semis are wide open... that portion of the bracket is really weak. 

Overall I would project Norrie to make finals and lose to McDonald and Rybakov to lose to McDonald in round of 16. 

Jared7

I agree about Norrie's draw - it doesn't seem good.  This Redlicki's pretty good (I think he has a brother also in the draw) - it seems like he'd get an easier first rounder.  As for the possible 2nd round, I saw Shropshire play at Northwestern - he's streaky; he can hit some big shots and take control for a few games, but otherwise is inconsistent.  I don't know anything about Adamson of UC-Davis.  Tulane's Koepfer spent much of the year at #1 - he's very good.  Torpegaard is #1 now, but he didn't look all that impressive v. Cal's Lakat.

Rybakov should win his first round - he'll have to play well to beat (presumably) Missouri's Skander Monsouri, who I think has the edge over A&M's Arthur Rinderknech.

Have you heard or read anything about the times of the matches?

Pharm Frog

With apologies to Mr Adamson (who seems to be a relative unknown), is there anyone in the draw with a name like "Smith" or "Johnson" or something like that?

jake102

Jared7 said:
I agree about Norrie's draw - it doesn't seem good.  This Redlicki's pretty good (I think he has a brother also in the draw) - it seems like he'd get an easier first rounder.  As for the possible 2nd round, I saw Shropshire play at Northwestern - he's streaky; he can hit some big shots and take control for a few games, but otherwise is inconsistent.  I don't know anything about Adamson of UC-Davis.  Tulane's Koepfer spent much of the year at #1 - he's very good.  Torpegaard is #1 now, but he didn't look all that impressive v. Cal's Lakat.

Rybakov should win his first round - he'll have to play well to beat (presumably) Missouri's Skander Monsouri, who I think has the edge over A&M's Renderknech.

Have you heard or read anything about the times of the matches?
I think I saw that matches will begin at 5pm tomorrow. Seems strange but maybe women are in the morning.

Jared7

Pharm Frog said:
With apologies to Mr Adamson (who seems to be a relative unknown), is there anyone in the draw with a name like "Smith" or "Johnson" or something like that?
Austin Smith from Georgia will be taking on OU's Axel Alvarez Llamas in the first round.  There's also a "Clark" and a "Cash" and a "Montgomery" and a "Locke" and a bunch of others as well.  I didn't see any "Johnsons" - those Johnsons need to step up their game - perhaps they should go to the Rybakov Tennis Academy in Coral Gables to study under Alex's parents. 

Jared7

Virginia takes the national championship 4-1 over Oklahoma for the 2nd straight year (and 3 times out of the last 4 years).  Andrew Harris over Ryan Shane was OU's sole point.  With that over with, the singles championship (with two TCU participants) starts tomorrow!

jake102

Clinic so far... 6-2, 3-0

Good example of why these matches should be outdoors. Big man can't deal with the elements, totally thrown his serve off

Norrie wins 6-2, 6-2

Made it a little closer than should have been

Rybakov wins 1st set 6-3

Jared7

Woo hoo!  Norrie advances into the Round of 32!!  His likely opponent - so far  - looks likes Northwestern's Shropshire who barely won his first set against Adamson in a tie-break.

And Rybakov is cruising too!  6-3 in the first, taking the winning game at love!  His potential opponents (Mansour/Rinderknech are just starting).

Jared7

And Alex Rybakov advances to the Round of 32 - 6-3, 6-2!!

Norrie will face Northwestern's Sam Shropshire, a sophomore from Philly, who finally outlasted UC-Davis' Alec Adamson in 3 long sets.  Shropshire is a streaky player who can be dominant at times.

Rybo will face Wake Forest's Skander Mansouri, a sophomore from Tunisia, who beat A&M's Arthur Rinderknech after he retired in the 3rd set, trailing 0-3.  Mansouri is 6'3" and grew up in France.

jake102

Norrie will play Shropshire of Northwestern tomorrow (ranked #40). Norrie defeated Shropshire a couple months ago 6-2, 6-3 (the match was played indoors). Norrie also easily defeated him in the 1st round of last year's singles championship. Could be a revenge factor here, although it seems like Norrie should be a clear favorite indoors or outdoors. 

Rybakov will face #13 Mansouri who is a ranked opponent in the draw. Mansouri had to go deep into the 3rd set to pull off a win today. Mansouri is a pretty big guy so hoping this match stays outdoors. Rybakov needs to take his game to next level.

Will update with match times later. 

Jared7

The final Oracle/ITA team tennis rankings were released today, and despite losing in the Round of 16, the TCU Horned Frogs finished the season ranked #3 in the nation.  That's one slot higher than we finished last year despite making the Final 4!  Here are the 2016 final rankings:

1. Virginia (duh)
2. UCLA
3. TCU
4. Ohio State
5. North Carolina
6. Oklahoma
7. Georgia
8. Wake Forest
9. California
10. Florida
11. Tech
12. USC
13. Oklahoma State
14. A&M
15. Northwestern
16. Texas
21. Stanford
22. SMU
30. Rice
32. Baylor

Congrats to the #3 Frogs on a great season!  wait til next year...

Jared7

I've searched the ITA archives which date back only to 1982, but this year's year-end #3 ranking matches TCU's best ever, which was previously achieved in 1996.  We've had several Top 10's and we've advanced further (4 Final 4's) but this year's team, in terms of rankings, is tied for the Frogs' best season ever.

Also, on Tuesday, Alex Rybakov was named the ITA National Rookie of the Year, which makes it the 2nd straight year TCU has earned a national award (David Roditi was ITA National Coach of the Year last season).

And like football, there's always "way-too-early" rankings for the next season - over at collegetennistoday, the early speculation is that TCU will be ranked #1 next year pre-season because all of the other elite teams are losing seniors and we're projected to have everyone back.  We'll see.

And there was a little controversy about the TCU-Cal match being moved indoors.  Roditi tamped that down quickly by not even mentioning it and just congratulating Cal.  But the same thing happened in both the Virginia semis and in the finals against OU and there has been a LOT of controversy about that.  Primarily because it's supposed to be an outside tournament and there already is a National Indoors (which the Cavs also won).  It was drizzling before the Finals and they had seen some lightning, and then it started raining harder and one more streak of lightning was seen, so the ITA immediately decided to move it indoors.  Of course, once that happened, it stopped raining and the courts were dry within an hour but the matches stayed indoors, limiting attendance because of fire marshall concerns and dampening the Finals atmosphere (which would have been decidedly pro-OU).  Even Roditi said that he didn't think they should have moved it indoors.  There was no TV, so the schedule wasn't that mandated.  Perhaps there should be a rule where the higher seed gets to decide.  Maybe Roditi and the rest of the Board should consider it.

Whatever - Norrie and Rybakov tomorrow!

jake102

Jared7 said:
I've searched the ITA archives which date back only to 1982, but this year's year-end #3 ranking matches TCU's best ever, which was previously achieved in 1996.  We've had several Top 10's and we've advanced further (4 Final 4's) but this year's team, in terms of rankings, is tied for the Frogs' best season ever.

Also, on Tuesday, Alex Rybakov was named the ITA National Rookie of the Year, which makes it the 2nd straight year TCU has earned a national award (David Roditi was ITA National Coach of the Year last season).

And like football, there's always "way-too-early" rankings for the next season - over at collegetennistoday, the early speculation is that TCU will be ranked #1 next year pre-season because all of the other elite teams are losing seniors and we're projected to have everyone back.  We'll see.

And there was a little controversy about the TCU-Cal match being moved indoors.  Roditi tamped that down quickly by not even mentioning it and just congratulating Cal.  But the same thing happened in both the Virginia semis and in the finals against OU and there has been a LOT of controversy about that.  

Whatever - Norrie and Rybakov tomorrow!

Great for the team. #3 overall is very good. And they are better than UCLA

Not surprised there was controversy surrounding moving indoors, I know that Roditi is very against it. I saw Georgia's coach upset about it on Twitter. Hoping for change in the offseason. 

jake102

Norrie plays at 10am this morning and Rybakov plays at 10:30am. Weather looks good for outdoors play. 

Of note, the #10 seeded player Hidalgo who would be Norrie's next opponent got beat yesterday. His draw is now wide open for him to get to the quarters like last year.