• The KillerFrogs

Official TCU Men's Tennis thread -- NC or bust

TCUdirtbag

Dang. Great effort late to nearly come back and win today. Rybakov just couldn't quite finish off what would've been a huge comeback victory.

Great season. A couple big 12 titles, undefeated at home, sweet 16. Looking forward to 2017.

jake102

tcumaniac said:
Damn. Depressing way to go out. 

You have to think we win that match if it's played outdoors. 
Without a doubt. Goransson won all of his big matches (including the fall indoor national championship) when playing indoors. He loses to any decent players outside.

So frustrating. Ruins what would have been a great match up with Ohio St including Norrie taking on #1 player in country.

jake102

Starting wendesday is the singles national championship where Norrie (seeded #5) and Rybakov will be competing

Norrie has a legit shot at competing for a title with the way he has been playing

Jared7

(sigh)  Very disappointing after that thrilling comeback (5-7 in the 3rd in the deciding match).  Losing the doubles point, playing indoors and Nava going down to cramps really hurt, and we came so close.  Congrats to Cal and good luck the rest of the way!  For TCU, what's left is Norrie and Rybakov in the singles and Blake/Stalder in the doubles.  And wait til next year for the team, which, with no seniors, should come back strong next year.

A Big 12 regular season championship and a Big 12 tourney championship, but we couldn't overcome our nemesis in the Round of 16.  (sigh2)

tcumaniac

Jared7 said:
(sigh)  Very disappointing after that thrilling comeback (5-7 in the 3rd in the deciding match).  Losing the doubles point, playing indoors and Nava going down to cramps really hurt, and we came so close.  Congrats to Cal and good luck the rest of the way!  For TCU, what's left is Norrie and Rybakov in the singles and Blake/Stalder in the doubles.  And wait til next year for the team, which, with no seniors, should come back strong next year.

A Big 12 regular season championship and a Big 12 tourney championship, but we couldn't overcome our nemesis in the Round of 16.  (sigh2)

Soooo many unlucky breaks today. This seemingly was a national championship caliber team that just had a very unlucky day. What a shame. 

Pharm Frog

Don't know a lot about tennis but an observation or two on competition:

Why Tulsa in mid-May? Why Waco in mid-May? Seems ridiculous to me. Play in Palm Springs, Glendale, San Diego, or somewhere where the weather might be less risky. Seems to me that matches meant to be played outdoors should be played outdoors and indoors played indoors. Why not push the championships to mid-June like baseball...still chance for weather but less. Is there a tennis draft or something that says it has to be done before turning pro?

Finally...don't court conditions (speed and sometimes surface material) change from indoor to outdoor? I realize it's not as dramatic a change from regulation golf to indoor mini-golf but still seems like bad form to change venue types in the moment. Do spectators get any consideration? I know there are large indoor venues but outdoors would seem to be more conducive to fan support.

jake102

Pharm Frog said:
Don't know a lot about tennis but an observation or two on competition:

Why Tulsa in mid-May? Why Waco in mid-May? Seems ridiculous to me. Play in Palm Springs, Glendale, San Diego, or somewhere where the weather might be less risky. Seems to me that matches meant to be played outdoors should be played outdoors and indoors played indoors. Why not push the championships to mid-June like baseball...still chance for weather but less. Is there a tennis draft or something that says it has to be done before turning pro?

Finally...don't court conditions (speed and sometimes surface material) change from indoor to outdoor? I realize it's not as dramatic a change from regulation golf to indoor mini-golf but still seems like bad form to change venue types in the moment. Do spectators get any consideration? I know there are large indoor venues but outdoors would seem to be more conducive to fan support.

A couple thoughts/opinions:

1) Not every college tennis facility has 12 quality outdoor courts AND six indoor courts. (TCU has six outdoor and only five indoor). In fact, very few have both. And these days, the courts need to be fitted with streaming video. So your options quickly become limited. 

2) The tournament doesn't have to be in mid-May, but it makes sense. A lot of top players want to get in a couple professional tournaments in the summer (Norrie played in two or three last summer). 

3) I think they need to get creative because this is two years running where a large part of the tournament has already been played indoors which is not the intention of this tournament at all. It's supposed to be an outdoor tournament. 

4) There's a huge difference going from outdoor to indoor, mostly to due with the elements (wind, sun). Indoor play greatly benefits tall players who rely on huge serves and quick strike shots. If you look at the ATP tour a lot of the super tall guys have most of their big success indoors. 

5) Due to #4, I think it's pretty unfair and ridiculous to move a match indoors 30 minutes prior to starting. Also, the highest ranked team out of Ohio St, UT, TCU and Cal should have gotten to choose what they wanted. Instead we got royally screwed, basically served (get it?) it up on a platter for Cal. 

Pharm Frog

Why does it need to be played on a college campus? School's out anyway. I think it would benefit the sport if it could align on a venue like TDA in Omaha rather than moving around

jake102

Pharm Frog said:
Why does it need to be played on a college campus? School's out anyway. I think it would benefit the sport if it could align on a venue like TDA in Omaha rather than moving around

Yep, completely agree. That was kind of what I was thinking when I mentioned "getting creative".

There are plenty of US cities that host ATP tour events. Would think you could make a deal with one of them to stay for the long haul... granted most (if not all) of those facilities don't have streaming cameras set up for every court which would need to happen. 

Jared7

I'm quite sure that our level of care factor has declined precipitously, but in the what might have been category, Cal just beat Ohio State 4-3 in a tremendously exciting match.  It all came down to Lakat (whom Norrie beat handily) going to a 3rd set tie-breaker against Torpegaard, the #1 player in the country, and winning 7-6 on a deciding joint match point.  They will now face Virginia, who also barely outlasted Florida, in the semis tomorrow.  The other quarters are just starting.

Jared7

And Georgia blew out North Carolina 4-0.  And OU-UCLA are tied 3-3, with OU's Biro serving for the match at 5-3.  If OU wins, it'll be Virginia v. Cal and OU v. Georgia in the semis.  The Frogs lost to Cal and Virginia, but beat OU.  OU wins!

I've looked and looked but I can't find the singles draw (for Norrie and Rybakov).  They start Wednesday. 

Jared7

Virginia just mauled Cal 4-0 in just over 90 minutes, so the Cavs will face the winner of the Georgia-OU match which is ongoing (OU won the doubles point).  Cal also lost the women's semis against Oklahoma State.

3-3 now between OU and UG. The final match is between OU's Ghilea and UG's Duncan; just starting.  (Andrew Harris and Axel Alvarez Llamas both lost their singles matches).

Ghilea goes up two breaks.  It's looking like Boomer Sooner tonight.