• The KillerFrogs

Official TCU Men's Tennis thread -- NC or bust

jake102

Norrie going onto court #2. Will start in 15 minutes or so. 

Norrie wins 1st set 6-1

This is going to get lost in the news of today, but Norrie down a break 0-2 in 2nd set. 

Norrie failing apart, now down 5-1. 

Lost 2nd set 6-1, but he woke up in the 3rd and is up a break at 3-0

Norrie breaks again, up 4-0

Rybakov is at 3-3 in 1st set

Norrie up 5-0, Rybo up 4-3 (on serve)

Norrie wins!! 6-1 in the 3rd. Onto the round of 16. 

Rybakova is up 5-4, but on serve

Rybo loses 1st set in tiebreak

Jared7

Congrats to Cameron Norrie - he makes it to the Round of 16 (and will play the winner of Cotrone/Friedrich) tomorrow.  Alex Rybakov put up a good fight, with some clutch shots and some key breaks, but couldn't hold serve often enough and fell to Skander Mansouri 6-7, 4-6.  He wasn't favored, but it would have been great to see Alex advance too.

Cotrone/Friedrich just starting...

Jared7

Norrie will face Dominic Cotrone in the Round of 16, who just beat Gabriel Friedrich of South Carolina 7-5, 6-3.  Cotrone, a senior, plays for USF now, but spent his first three years at Florida State.  He's a very good singles and doubles player (and excelled at baseball, basketball, soccer, bowling and the saxophone too), he's 6'1" from Bradenton, Florida.  He's 13-5 this season in singles this year, including a stretch of 11 out of 12.  Frog fans might remember him from last year when, in doubles, he upset Nick Chappell and Will Stein, when they were ranked 11th.  He's hot and will be a tough out for Cameron. 

Jared7

Mackenzie McDonald just blew out Skander Mansouri (who beat Rybakov) 6-1, 6-2.  Norrie should be favored against Cotrone (ranked #47th) but a singles tournament can be different than regular team tennis, so we'll see.  tennisrecruiting.net is projecting #6 McDonald as the ultimate winner, but #1 Torpegaard, #2 Cid, #3 Koepfer and #4 Vukic are all still alve (in addition to #5 Norrie).  Go Cameron!

Jared7

Jake102 said:
Norrie gets broken immediately. 

He breaks right back

Norrie breaks to win the 1st set 6-4. Good start
That was a really key break!  Norrie's not playing his best though.  I'm still worried.

Jared7

Did I ever say that I hate no-ad?  Norrie loses two no-ads in the 2nd set and loses 2-6.  But he just won a no-ad to stay in the match (albeit down a break).  1-2.  C'mon Cameron!  We need a comeback!! 

Norrie breaks back!!  (on a no-ad)  2-2!

Jared7

In a stunning comeback, the likes of which I have rarely seen, after trailing 0-2 in the 3rd set, TCU's Cameron Norrie just won 6 straight games to advance to the NCAA quarterfinals for his second straight year!!!!  Tons of unforced errors, bad breaks and he still wins!!  Kwiatkowski, who just blew out Tulane's #3 Koepfer next!

jake102

Very solid win. 

He will need to play a TON better tomorrow to beat Thai Son (who is one of the biggest dooshes I've seen in college tennis)

Pharm Frog

Jake102 said:
Very solid win. 

He will need to play a TON better tomorrow to beat Thai Son (who is one of the biggest dooshes I've seen in college tennis)
I thought he would play someone named Kwiakowskicyk or something like that

Jared7

Road Trip Frog said:
His body language was awful after going down 0-2 in the 3rd. Showed a lot of composure coming back from that.
He looked SO deflated and defeated!  In the 2nd set, he had fought back multiple times to get to the no-ad (did I ever say that I hate them?), and he lost every time.  But significantly, he absolutely needed to hold at love-2, and he won on a no-ad!!  And then he just cruised.

Jared7

Pharm Frog said:

Sorta like, "Hello this is Frank from New Delhi."  Just sounds so wrong to the ears.
Thai-Son Kwiatkowski, who, as jake said, is thought by many to be one of the biggest [Rece Davis]bags in the sport, is a Junior playing for Virginia, who have won and won and won everything in tennis for years, and act like it.  He's 6'1", from Charlotte, with a 38-7 singles record this season, including 17-1 while ranked #3.  He is the ACC Scholar-Athlete of the Year and on the  ACC All-Academic Honor Roll.  He has been ranked in the Top 10 all year, and just earned his 100th career victory in the team finals by walloping OU's Spencer Papa.  He won the ITA All-American tourney in the fall in both singles and doubles; only the 4th player in history to ever do that.  Like I said above, he blew out Tulane's Dominic Koepfer today, who was ranked #1 for much of the year.

Everyone needs to root for Cameron Norrie tomorrow from lil ol TCU against Goliath.  He'll obviously need to play better than today (other then after 0-2 in the 3rd).