• The KillerFrogs

LaDarius Brown

Froglaw

Looking on Internet and found this.

Baylor let one player play anyway.

Also found numerous arrests for OU, UT, ATM, Auburn, U of Minn, etc.

Trying to get kids to stop doing illegal drugs is difficult when their background found it acceptable. 

I agree with CGP.  No tolerance of illegal drugs is the only way I want TCU to go on this subject.

Would I be willing to let a player back on the team?  Sure. 

One year's suspension.

Drug rehab, community service, washing the other athletic teams dirty uniforms, etc.

Huge apology to his teammates and coaches made with a sincere remorseful tone.

Drug tests conducted every month for a year.  All clean.

Meeting with parents.

Passing grades with a 5 year degree plan.

Then a written contract between the kid and the coach setting forth all of this in writing.

Anything less would be condoning the behavior and a green light to the rest of the team.

Baylor football player dismissed from team after latest arrest
Posted: Oct 14, 2010 5:16 PM CDT
<em class="wnDate">Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:16 PM EST</em>

Willie Jefferson

Additional Links

by Louis Ojeda Jr. & Mark Wiggins
BELL COUNTY - A Baylor football player has been dismissed from the team after being arrested twice in two weeks.
State Troopers say 19-year-old Willie Jefferson was arrested on Thursday for possession of marijuana. Sources told News Channel 25 that Jefferson was driving another player's car and was found in possession of one ounce of "Hydro," a high-potency form of marijuana.
DPS Troopers say the arrest was part of a routine traffic stop in Temple. He was booked into the Bell County Jail, but has since bonded out.
Jefferson was also arrested on Oct. 3 along his teammate, wide receiver Josh Gordon, after he was found passed out at a Waco Taco Bell drive thru.
Gordon was allowed to play in Baylor's game Saturday against Texas Tech, but Jefferson did not play.
Jefferson was arrested by Orange Police on January 25, 2009, on misdemeanor possession of marijuana charges. That case is still pending in Orange County.

tcujsauce

Ron Swanson said:

Didn't read that long post, but judging solely on the above picture, Willie Jefferson looks like he has straight murder-raped some people
eso_es_racista.gif

maximilian

Ron Swanson said:

I'd feel less immoral driving to my buddy's house down the street than I would driving to Dallas from Fort Worth.

But that's not what's at issue here. CGP quotes after CP4's suspension:

"This is not about this season," Patterson told the AP. "This about a young man's life, about a whole bunch of kids."

"I've got a young football team and a person who obviously needs help," Patterson told The Associated Press. "Until I can come up with some answers, it's not about one season, it's about a lot of seasons."

Those are admirable qualities to voice but beg the question: why is a rising junior WR busted for pot possession less in need of help turning their life around than a junior QB who drove drunk, put other drivers at risk and had prior issues with failed drug tests? Yeah, driving drunk for a short distance isn't the same level of risk as driving through the metroplex, but it's still a selfish decision that increases the risk of a collision to anyone else on the road at the time. That is already more of a crime against society than anything Brown did.

It's selective mercy to me, and misplaced at that.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
maximilian said:

Those are admirable qualities to voice but beg the question: why is a rising junior WR busted for pot possession less in need of help turning their life around than a junior QB who drove drunk, put other drivers at risk and had prior issues with failed drug tests? Yeah, driving drunk for a short distance isn't the same level of risk as driving through the metroplex, but it's still a selfish decision that increases the risk of a collision to anyone else on the road at the time. That is already more of a crime against society than anything Brown did.

Do you know how many failed drug tests/trouble Brown had been in before this?  I am guessing this isn't his first strike, or his second.

maximilian

Frogs On A Plane said:

Do you know how many failed drug tests/trouble Brown had been in before this?  I am guessing this isn't his first strike, or his second.

Why is that different from Pachall? He failed multiple drug tests before his arrest too, and admitted past cocaine use to a cop during the drug bust for Brock.

FrogSwagSurfin

maximilian said:

Why is that different from Pachall? He failed multiple drug tests before his arrest too, and admitted past cocaine use to a cop during the drug bust for Brock.
Fair enough but one will get your kicked out of school and the doesn't. Didn't Tanner and the crew get kicked out after the drug bust?

smufrogger

GeorgeLanescaddy said:
Fair enough but one will get your kicked out of school and the doesn't. Didn't Tanner and the crew get kicked out after the drug bust?
this, but also have to throw out there what you are alluding to-- As a student athlete, perhaps not only was he breaking rules as a student athlete- ie. getting arrested, but also perhaps he wasn't holding up his end of his performance in the athletic portion  of it-- Im not an insider, beyond an arrest, I would believe every coach in America would also weigh in as to whether the kid is likely to not only address his off campus issues, but also any on campus/playing issues.  Im guessing Brown went through multiple strikes on both accounts.

CountryFrog

maximilian said:

How do you know he's not still being helped by someone at TCU? Or maybe he was offered help and rejected it? I don't know how you can judge TCU's or Patterson's actions when you have no idea what has actually happened with Brown both recently and in the past. Maybe they already provided help in the past due to other issues and now he's screwing up again. Just because they didn't have a press conference to announce everything being done doesn't mean they've never helped anyone else with problems.

maximilian

CountryFrog said:
How do you know he's not still being helped by someone at TCU? Or maybe he was offered help and rejected it? I don't know how you can judge TCU's or Patterson's actions when you have no idea what has actually happened with Brown both recently and in the past. Maybe they already provided help in the past due to other issues and now he's screwing up again. Just because they didn't have a press conference to announce everything being done doesn't mean they've never helped anyone else with problems.

I'm open to the concept that I'm wrong and Brown really did screw up more than his fair share of times; it's definitely possible.

Having said that, I don't believe anyone around here ever heard about any serious off the field issues with LD Brown before this, whereas CP4 was infamous for the party-boy persona and already had drug rumors surrounding him before he ever took a snap as a starter.

TCU is a small campus and word gets around with these things fast, so while I can buy LD Brown failing drug tests and having his share of screw ups, I'm quite a bit skeptical that he was more of a knucklehead than pre-DUI Pachall.

TCURiggs

maximilian said:

I'm open to the concept that I'm wrong and Brown really did screw up more than his fair share of times; it's definitely possible.

Having said that, I don't believe anyone around here ever heard about any serious off the field issues with LD Brown before this, whereas CP4 was infamous for the party-boy persona and already had drug rumors surrounding him before he ever took a snap as a starter.

TCU is a small campus and word gets around with these things fast, so while I can buy LD Brown failing drug tests and having his share of screw ups, I'm quite a bit skeptical that he was more of a knucklehead than pre-DUI Pachall.

ill_allow_it_community.gif

maximilian

GeorgeLanescaddy said:

Yes they did, but they were facing charges of dealing, not possession. While LD Brown got caught with quite a bit, we don't know the reason why, outside of speculation. He could have been selling, or he could have purchased quite a bit for himself and others.

And if the legality/school code of conduct angle is the only thing keeping CGP from stepping in and helping a troubled kid, then why make those comments at all?

Like I said, I'm all for the attitude he had towards CP4, despite the flack taken from some people about coddling his starting QB. I just think a decision like this appears on its face to be a bit hypocritical and gives more ammunition to those critics. I admit that I don't know all the info about both cases and could very well be wrong.

CountryFrog

maximilian said:

And I'm willing to bet that Casey is not the only student-athlete that TCU has ever helped out with anything during Patterson's 14 years as head coach.

maximilian

CountryFrog said:
And I'm willing to bet that Casey is not the only student-athlete that TCU has ever helped out with anything during Patterson's 14 years as head coach.

Where did I say he was the only one? I'm saying that comparing these two lends itself to at least an accusation of selective mercy, not that it was proof-positive of it.

All I'm saying is people are rationally wired; we like to see logically consistent behavior and decision-making, as that appeals to reason. When I see situations like these going off in different directions, I'm just noting it brings up a red flag as to disciplinary principles.

I've said it before in this thread: I'm working with incomplete info and could be completely off-base.

FrogSwagSurfin

maximilian said:

Where did I say he was the only one? I'm saying that comparing these two lends itself to at least an accusation of selective mercy, not that it was proof-positive of it.

All I'm saying is people are rationally wired; we like to see logically consistent behavior and decision-making, as that appeals to reason. When I see situations like these going off in different directions, I'm just noting it brings up a red flag as to disciplinary principles.

I've said it before in this thread: I'm working with incomplete info and could be completely off-base.
Yes CP was wild and maybe shoul have been kicked off but again LD was in possession of a lot of weed. He had enough weed to question being a dealer and that's not something the university will except.

Tre J

Ron Swanson said:

Didn't read that long post, but judging solely on the above picture, Willie Jefferson looks like he has straight murder-raped some people
I think the texans drafted him last year. Apparently an incredible athlete. Took a risk, and he ended up being one of the three rookies kicked off the team for guess what, smoking weed in the hotel on the road.

froggy

GeorgeLanescaddy said:
Yes CP was wild and maybe shoul have been kicked off but again LD was in possession of a lot of weed. He had enough weed to question being a dealer and that's not something the university will except.

froggy

Check the police report, it says less than 2 oz, could have been one joint, also someone stated Casey failed more than one drug test , might wont to recheck your facts.