• The KillerFrogs

KillerFrogs own Wes interviewed! You'll enjoy this one

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
tcuhf93 said:
Same here. I must have turned away from KFC for a few minutes and next thing I know, all hell had broken loose. Would love to have a thorough recap of what caused the mass exodus of some very long time posters. Oh well, maybe it will be on the Special Features section of the DVD.
The tl;dr version goes like this:

Some posters didn't like some of the rules concerning what you could post, things were said, some poorly, and feels were hurt.

Dogfrog

As I recall, Gary had just won the Broyles award as top assistant coach. I remember we discussed on this board that if TCU was not yet at a place where we could attract a top successful head coach, and we went for a top assistant...hell, we already have the top assistant on staff.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
frognutz said:
Nice job as always!

Missed opportunity to explain the "events" that led up to the defection of a lot of posters two years or so ago.  I honestly don't know the whole story on that one.
Not sure what to say on that one. They made some noise but at the end of the day it wasn't that many.

pastorfrog

Dogfrog said:
As I recall, Gary had just won the Broyles award as top assistant coach. I remember we discussed on this board that if TCU was not yet at a place where we could attract a top successful head coach, and we went for a top assistant...hell, we already have the top assistant on staff.
I do know some brass wanted Watson Brown. The team, Dick Lowe and Bill Koehler stepped in to hire GP.

Scott

"KillerFrogs.com....your source for TCU SPORTS"
tcuhf93 said:
Same here. I must have turned away from KFC for a few minutes and next thing I know, all hell had broken loose. Would love to have a thorough recap of what caused the mass exodus of some very long time posters. Oh well, maybe it will be on the Special Features section of the DVD.

20 malcontents is hardly a "mass" exodus. Nearly all of them still lurk here and cannot quit discussing us. No big deal.

Limp Lizard

pastorfrog said:
It was almost 20 years ago, though someone mentioned as late as 2001. Likely a Frank issue. Bless his heart.
Frank was not paranoid enough, or organized enough.  Definitely smells like Hyman, who ruled with an iron hand.   Which TCU needed when he took over in 1998.  He got things organized, destroyed our Men's basketball program, and left.  Then a few years later were were fortunate enough to get CDC!

Limp Lizard

Limp Lizard said:
Frank was not paranoid enough, or organized enough.  Definitely smells like Hyman, who ruled with an iron hand.   Which TCU needed when he took over in 1998.  He got things organized, destroyed our Men's basketball program, and left.  Then a few years later were were fortunate enough to get CDC!
Hmmm, just heard Wes say it started during Frank era. My bad, but the rest of my comments about Hyman remain.

Limp Lizard

Wes referenced the 81-16 loss to Texas in 1974.  Most statically even 65-yard whupping ever.
First Downs:  Texas 24, TCU 20
Total Yards:   Texas 334, TCU 221
Difference was turnovers, especially early Texas 1, TCU 6
In second half Texas scored on kickoff return, a pick six and a safety.

Just a strange game in cold weather.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
pastorfrog said:
I do know some brass wanted Watson Brown. The team, popsicle Lowe and Bill Koehler stepped in to hire GP.
That was the rumor and his name may have been on the list but I don't think it was given serious consideration.  

There were some others on that list who were interviewed and we should all  thank God that they were complete A-holes before, during and after the interview, and were not hired because of that.  

pastorfrog

wes said:
That was the rumor and his name may have been on the list but I don't think it was given serious consideration.  

There were some others on that list who were interviewed and we should all  thank God that they were complete A-holes before, during and after the interview, and were not hired because of that.  
Dan McCarney who just got canned at University of North Texas, I'm pretty sure was one of them. A certain DC "down south of here" as well.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Pastorfrog--this is the worst podcast yet.  You didn't get the answer to the FH mass exodus and you didn't explore Wes's lack of faith in The Lord.  You let Wes snow you with BS nobody cares about and gloss over the big issues,.

pastorfrog

steelfrog said:
Pastorfrog--this is the worst podcast yet.  You didn't get the answer to the FH mass exodus and you didn't explore Wes's lack of faith in The Lord.  You let Wes snow you with BS nobody cares about and gloss over the big issues,.
Can't be any worse than the other garage we put out there.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
pastorfrog said:
Dan McCarney who just got canned at University of North Texas, I'm pretty sure was one of them. A certain DC "down south of here" as well.
Not sure about him but  there was a former SEC head coach and former C-USA head coach ( not Watson Brown ) who were interviewed.

We made the right choice

Virginia Frog

pastorfrog said:
I do know some brass wanted Watson Brown. The team, popsicle Lowe and Bill Koehler stepped in to hire GP.
Weren't the HC candidates the Southern Miss coach, Dave McGinnis (Bears or Cardinals?), Watson Brown( UAB) and maybe a couple others.

The hiring committee had to do their due diligence and "eliminate" some outside candidates before giving the nod to Gary. Shultz was the other TCU undercard candidate I believe.

Latest posts