• The KillerFrogs

KillerFrogs own Wes interviewed! You'll enjoy this one

Virginia Frog

Scott said:

20 malcontents is hardly a "mass" exodus. Nearly all of them still lurk here and cannot quit discussing us. No big deal.
I'd like to see the "spreadsheet" of these "malcontents." (I find it crazy that TCU athletics tried to identify KFc posters like it was some kind of CIA operation.) (I know the Univ Advancement office tracks alums to see who has cash to spare - and hit-on for donations - I know I was targeted way back when, their rep taked too much and told me so!)

If you can't provide these 20 names, I'm sure the NSA has "listened-in" and can provide us with the information. :biggrin:

steelfrog

Tier 1
Steel has so much dirt that Aloyshus would never allow him to be interviewed.  He would threaten eternal damnation if it were even suggested.  Which wouldn't scare Wes because Wes believe God is a fairy tale.

But what does scare Wes is that Scotty might throttle Finny or put Wes back in The Pit.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Virginia Frog said:
I'd like to see the "spreadsheet" of these "malcontents." (I find it crazy that TCU athletics tried to identify KFc posters like it was some kind of CIA operation.) (I know the Univ Advancement office tracks alums to see who has cash to spare - and hit-on for donations - I know I was targeted way back when, their rep taked too much and told me so!)

If you can't provide these 20 names, I'm sure the NSA has "listened-in" and can provide us with the information. :biggrin:
You have to think back to the mid 90's on this one

The internet was relatively new and was considered to be the wild west.   Never before had TCU experienced open discussions about the athletic department and they were not quite sure what to think about it all.  The department was also being led by someone who was not up to date technologically.

In actual fact, the discussions were no different than those taking place in the Paris Coffee Shop, Yogi's or any other gathering place but this was the first time they were happening where all could see them.   

So the "Frog Fan Forum" task force was formed and they went to work to see who these malcontents really were.

I would have loved to been a fly on the wall at some of those meetings

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Virginia Frog said:
Weren't the HC candidates the Southern Miss coach, Dave McGinnis (Bears or Cardinals?), Watson Brown( UAB) and maybe a couple others.

The hiring committee had to do their due diligence and "eliminate" some outside candidates before giving the nod to Gary. Shultz was the other TCU undercard candidate I believe.
The Southern Miss coach was one.  Hadn't heard about McGinnis. He may have been one .  Watson Brown..I honestly don't know.

There was a head coach in the SEC at that time and later moved to a rival school as their head coach.  He was subsequently fired by the school and now coaches at a high school, I think.

Those are the only two that I am sure of and they were such ego maniacs / jerks that they were quickly ruled out.

BABYFACE

Punter1 said:
I know a ton of people on that staff and I've never heard that story. Everything I heard was Fran thought GP would be a great head coach and told the TCU brass as he left.

And MOST importantly...I heard TCU didn't really care what Fran's thoughts were when he left. The entire team wanted GP to be the coach and coming off 2 awesome defensive years...GP was pretty much the only choice.
I heard different. Fran thought GP would be a good HC someday but wasn't ready yet. The players, and Koehler liked GP. Hyman was looking elsewhere until others convinced him GP was the guy.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Punter1 said:
I know a ton of people on that staff and I've never heard that story. Everything I heard was Fran thought GP would be a great head coach and told the TCU brass as he left.

And MOST importantly...I heard TCU didn't really care what Fran's thoughts were when he left. The entire team wanted GP to be the coach and coming off 2 awesome defensive years...GP was pretty much the only choice.
Punter..trust me on this one.  My info comes from two excellent sources who were heavily involved in the search

BABYFACE

Hyman was the one not enamored with KFC and keeping tabs. I imagine FW wasn't enamored either . Danny Morrison changed that. He embraced KFC or that was the impression I got. About as genuine as they come. The good relationship continued with CDC.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
BABYFACE said:
Hyman was the one not enamored with KFC and keeping tabs. Danny Morrison changed that. He embraced KFC or that was the impression I got. About as genuine as they come. The good relationship continued with CDC.
Hyman tolerated us and was actually pretty good to us.  Morrison was as well

Windegger had no idea what to say or do about us

BABYFACE

wes said:
Hyman tolerated us and was actually pretty good to us.  Morrison was as well

Windegger had no idea what to say or do about us
Glad he tolerated.

I have a buddy that refuses to post at KFC because Hyman did not want, or discouraged employees of TCU posting at KFC . He still only reads KFC.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
BABYFACE said:
Glad he tolerated.

I have a buddy that refuses to post at KFC because Hyman did not want, or discouraged employees of TCU posting at KFC . He still only reads KFC.
OK..but why would that keep him from posting?  

OmniscienceFrog

wes said:
The Southern Miss coach was one.  Hadn't heard about McGinnis. He may have been one .  Watson Brown..I honestly don't know.

There was a head coach in the SEC at that time and later moved to a rival school as their head coach.  He was subsequently fired by the school and now coaches at a high school, I think.

Those are the only two that I am sure of and they were such ego maniacs / jerks that they were quickly ruled out.

Oh yeah, McGinnis was definitely in the mix publicly.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
OmniscienceFrog said:
Hyman was about a 66% hit.  Did great things for the football program.  Totally darned up the basketball program.  Still trying to overcome that.
I think he was exactly what we needed at the time and the athletic department vision that we are seeing now, all started with him.  He deserves a lot of credit

As for basketball, I kind of agree but not totally. If I were running the department, Tubbs would have gotten the support he needed but the truth is that he had one really good year and never capitalized on that season.  Was his failure to take it even further Hyman's fault?  I don't know.

Like many, I would have hired Dougherty.  He had a great resume but it was apparent that he was one of those guys whose best value as a coach was in an assistants position.  You take a chance promoting assistants as some are head coaching material and some are not.