• The KillerFrogs

KillerFrogs own Wes interviewed! You'll enjoy this one

pastorfrog

In what is clearly one of the top five interviews of the two we've had this season, Wes Phelan tells the story of KillerFrogs and the rise of TCU athletics!

http://thefrogcast.com/2015/10/22/the-frogcast-special-edition-2/

A few highlights

- A flowchart in the ADs office linking handles with real names because they didn't like what was being said.

- A person in the ADs office had the job of keeping up with the site! That's more than they had on the recruiting staff at the time, IMO.

- The original site was hosted on a golf page

- Fran didn't think GP should follow him as HC

- In 93 who wasn't tired of everything TCU athletics?

For those of you that have been a fan of the Frogs for more than 15 minutes you will love this interview!

back_in_black

Moderators
It was actually a spreadsheet. I received a copy of it in 2001 when I started working at TCU. It had forum handles, names, and job information. Also showed how they were associated with TCU. Think it was a student or recent grad they had researching.

don

Great interview. The way I remember the 97 SMU game was that the only play the TCU QB could audible to was the infamous smoke draw, and all the opposing coaches knew it except SMU. Maybe a player on here from that time can clarify.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
back_in_black said:
It was actually a spreadsheet. I received a copy of it in 2001 when I started working at TCU. It had forum handles, names, and job information. Also showed how they were associated with TCU. Think it was a student or recent grad they had researching.
That's kind of creepy.

pastorfrog

don said:
Great interview. The way I remember the 97 SMU game was that the only play the TCU QB could audible to was the infamous smoke draw, and all the opposing coaches knew it except SMU. Maybe a player on here from that time can clarify.
To be fair it seemed the only audible Fran and Shultz had was the option to the short side of the field!

Bayonnefrog

pastorfrog said:
In what is clearly one of the top five interviews of the two we've had this season, Wes Phelan tells the story of KillerFrogs and the rise of TCU athletics!

http://thefrogcast.com/2015/10/22/the-frogcast-special-edition-2/

A few highlights

- A flowchart in the ADs office linking handles with real names because they didn't like what was being said.

- A person in the ADs office had the job of keeping up with the site! That's more than they had on the recruiting staff at the time, IMO.

- The original site was hosted on a golf page

- Fran didn't think GP should follow him as HC

- In 93 who wasn't tired of everything TCU athletics?

For those of you that have been a fan of the Frogs for more than 15 minutes you will love this interview!

Just another thing Fran was wrong on.  What a winner!

Deep Purple

Bayonnefrog said:
Just another thing Fran was wrong on.  What a winner!

I strongly suspect Fran wasn't being honest.  I'm sure he wanted to take Patterson to Tuscaloosa with him.  Fran was a good coach, but he was very absorbed in his own career.  Wouldn't put it past him to hold back a valued assistant from advancement so that the assistant could continue to serve the interest of Fran's career.

pastorfrog

Deep Purple said:

I strongly suspect Fran wasn't being honest.  I'm sure he wanted to take Patterson to Tuscaloosa with him.  Fran was a good coach, but he was very absorbed in his own career.  Wouldn't put it past him to hold back a valued assistant from advancement so that the assistant could continue to serve the interest of Fran's career.
That is the truest thing ever said on this board

frognutz

Nice job as always!

Missed opportunity to explain the "events" that led up to the defection of a lot of posters two years or so ago.  I honestly don't know the whole story on that one.

Punter1

Deep Purple said:

I know a ton of people on that staff and I've never heard that story. Everything I heard was Fran thought GP would be a great head coach and told the TCU brass as he left.

And MOST importantly...I heard TCU didn't really care what Fran's thoughts were when he left. The entire team wanted GP to be the coach and coming off 2 awesome defensive years...GP was pretty much the only choice.

tcuhf93

frognutz said:
Nice job as always!

Missed opportunity to explain the "events" that led up to the defection of a lot of posters two years or so ago.  I honestly don't know the whole story on that one.
Same here. I must have turned away from KFC for a few minutes and next thing I know, all hell had broken loose. Would love to have a thorough recap of what caused the mass exodus of some very long time posters. Oh well, maybe it will be on the Special Features section of the DVD.

tcuhf93

back_in_black said:
What was the purpose? Was it a hit list or something?

frognutz

tcuhf93 said:
Same here. I must have turned away from KFC for a few minutes and next thing I know, all hell had broken loose. Would love to have a thorough recap of what caused the mass exodus of some very long time posters. Oh well, maybe it will be on the Special Features section of the DVD.
Roddog and Atheist lesbians was all I could piece together....how those merged I have no idea.