• The KillerFrogs

I guess if you don't give $$ to a NIL, you can't be a fan

One Frog Nation

Jim Mora probably didn't endear himself to the UConn faithful on Tuesday.
The football coach told reporters on Tuesday that a big reason for the team's 2-9 record this season came down to a small NIL budget compared to other teams around the country, and suggested that fans shouldn't complain to the product on the field if they weren't going to contribute to the financial health of the football program:

FrogAbroad

Mora's comment is, IMO, predictive of what we're beginning and destined to see in college sports. Schools aligning and realigning themselves into more powerful, more profitable conferences will gradually, eventually, leave just bones and scraps for the rest.

Fosterpark Squatter

Jim Mora probably didn't endear himself to the UConn faithful on Tuesday.
The football coach told reporters on Tuesday that a big reason for the team's 2-9 record this season came down to a small NIL budget compared to other teams around the country, and suggested that fans shouldn't complain to the product on the field if they weren't going to contribute to the financial health of the football program:

Wonder what their basketball NIL budget is considering all the titles.

Frogco2015

He’s not wrong. In the NIL era, we as alums need to cough up the money. Nobody likes it (except the players) but that’s how it is.

Sangria Wine

He’s not wrong. In the NIL era, we as alums need to cough up the money. Nobody likes it (except the players) but that’s how it is.
Exactly. A university can’t fix their own NIL funding troubles so it’s 100% on the fans to pay that bill. This era of college sports will ultimately end my passion for college aports unless major reform takes place. It’s just a matter of time until it’s just not fun anymore.

SoonerFrogs

Didn’t know it at the time, but that ticket Jug gave me for the Baylor game last year is probably the last Frog game I’ll attend. It’s just not fun anymore.

Sangria Wine

Didn’t know it at the time, but that ticket Jug gave me for the Baylor game last year is probably the last Frog game I’ll attend. It’s just not fun anymore.
I’m in the stage where I let my season tickets go and honestly haven’t missed attending the games in person. After 25 years of season tickets and a ton of wonderful memories with special people in my life wrapped up in those sporting events. I watch the games on TV and have even missed games on TV at times because I have something else planned that doesn’t allow me to sit and watch. Honestly I hate that I feel that way about it all. I loved the run made last year but it didn’t even feel as special as the Rose Bowl year to me. Weird the gamut of emotions we as sports fans have with our teams…

Moose Stuff

Mora's comment is, IMO, predictive of what we're beginning and destined to see in college sports. Schools aligning and realigning themselves into more powerful, more profitable conferences will gradually, eventually, leave just bones and scraps for the rest.

That article was written in 2021.

Wexahu

Exactly. A university can’t fix their own NIL funding troubles so it’s 100% on the fans to pay that bill. This era of college sports will ultimately end my passion for college aports unless major reform takes place. It’s just a matter of time until it’s just not fun anymore.
Yep. No way I’m throwing money at this stuff because I’m not a rich man, but even if I was, no way. It’s a fools game. Once they allowed immediate eligibility for transfers, I think that’s what did it for me more than anything. It’s such a stupid sport now from a competitive standpoint, totally rigged.

Most of my passion is already gone, I’m watching and following out of habit now more than anything. More of an observer than a fan I guess you’d say.

Wexahu

Used to go to every game, with very few exceptions. Went to one this year, and honestly would have been fine staying home. It’s ok, there are other things I can do with my time, and a new generation of fan that likes where this is going will take my place I guess.

Froglaw

I’m in the stage where I let my season tickets go and honestly haven’t missed attending the games in person. After 25 years of season tickets and a ton of wonderful memories with special people in my life wrapped up in those sporting events. I watch the games on TV and have even missed games on TV at times because I have something else planned that doesn’t allow me to sit and watch. Honestly I hate that I feel that way about it all. I loved the run made last year but it didn’t even feel as special as the Rose Bowl year to me. Weird the gamut of emotions we as sports fans have with our teams…

I’m sitting in an airport gate lounge on thanksgiving.

I watched/followed the Tcu Baylor game via a bad iPad connection.

It killed me to miss the last home game, but this is a bucket list trip.

I love TCU home games. My tailgate is where I catch up with family and friends.

Worth every minute.

From the drop of the first sweat bead on Labor Day weekend to the last out in the college World Series.

Every second.

So carry me out of my tailgate tent feet first, but I’m going to the games.

Moose Stuff

I’m sitting in an airport gate lounge on thanksgiving.

I watched/followed the Tcu Baylor game via a bad iPad connection.

It killed me to miss the last home game, but this is a bucket list trip.

I love TCU home games. My tailgate is where I catch up with family and friends.

Worth every minute.

From the drop of the first sweat bead on Labor Day weekend to the last out in the college World Series.

Every second.

So carry me out of my tailgate tent feet first, but I’m going to the games.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

fanatical frog

I'm on pretty near the exact same trajectory.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Mrs. Brewingfrog and I were walking back to our lodgings after the game on Saturday, and discussing the wisdom of continuing to purchase Season Tickets. Driving 300 miles to Fort Worth isn't getting any shorter, and the annoyance factors of the "Gameday Experience" are grating more and more heavily.

I hate and loathe the sound bombardment that seemingly makes up every formerly quiet moment. Between every play, filling every non-action second, there is annoying sound blaring out of those damned speakers on the North end. I cannot understand how anyone would feel that this is some kind of benefit, or desirable in any way. If I want to listen to such garbage, I would simply turn on a TV, but I don't. I pay good money to watch Football games, not be beaten down by talentless crap for three hours. If a tornado came through and tore out all that pricey sound gear, I'd rejoice.

Yeah, I'm old. I also help pay the bills by buying tickets. I don't have to buy the tickets, and when the annoyance outweighs the joy, I won't. And it's getting damned close.