• The KillerFrogs

I guess if you don't give $$ to a NIL, you can't be a fan

Klaw

I wonder how this will evolve. Currently you have the equivalent of the Royals trying to compete with the Yankees except there is no contract to wait out before the Yankees sign the Royals' best players.

I wonder if NIL deals will be structured with "length of service" clauses or similar, or if that would get caught in antitrust laws.

As you allude to, smaller schools are asking fans to donate to the Royals in an environment with no salary cap and no contracts. I have to think that at some point everyone other than the filthy rich will tire of it.
I believe it’s more similar to European soccer to where the big clubs always win, have more resources and are rarely challenged but it is more magical when a Leicester City wins the league.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
I'm on pretty near the exact same trajectory.
Same. Was pretty much set on letting my season tickets go once the younger kid went off to college. He ended up choosing TCU, so I’ve got them for a couple more years. Honestly going to the games has become a bit of a beating. And the fact that my season tickets are surrounded by fans of whatever team we’re playing kind of sucks the life out of it. Yeah, I could pay more for better seats, but it is already outrageously expensive for the cheapest option.

Wexahu

I believe it’s more similar to European soccer to where the big clubs always win, have more resources and are rarely challenged but it is more magical when a Leicester City wins the league.
I guess but correct me if I’m wrong, but when a player switches teams usually there is compensation given, right? They don’t just all play on 1-year contracts and are essentially free agents every year, are they?

Wexahu

Same. Was pretty much set on letting my season tickets go once the younger kid went off to college. He ended up choosing TCU, so I’ve got them for a couple more years. Honestly going to the games has become a bit of a beating. And the fact that my season tickets are surrounded by fans of whatever team we’re playing kind of sucks the life out of it. Yeah, I could pay more for better seats, but it is already outrageously expensive for the cheapest option.
Fans are suckers at this point. The powers that be do not care about putting a compelling product on the field, they just want your money, and then they’ll do what they can do to make the [ Finebaum ]ty product appear compelling.

Wog68

Cam Rising will be 7 years next season and he has already said he is coming back. His recruiting class in 2018 included Tervor Lawrence and Justin Fields.
and Justin Rogers/Tyler Shough.

been around
Our guy will be in his 8th year and probably be a grad assistant working on his BA.

FrogBall09

What is going to happen is the NCAA is going to lose the latest lawsuit, and the schools are going to have to pay the players directly, with the athletes of the revenue producing sports getting the bulk of the direct payments. At that point, or even before, you are going to have the FBS split everyone is talking about. You will be able to contribute directly to the school to fund this if you want, and athletes will have to do something to earn NIL money, similar to what you said above. Scholarship monies may or may not become taxable, but room and board certainly will be (at least at the federal level).
You are also going to have schools begin cancelling every sport that doesn’t get close to paying it’s own way

Talked to the AD of a large state school on a hunting trip during their off week

He said the day his school has to pay track, swimming, golf, etc athletes is the day every one of those programs gets put on a clock to break even in 5 years or be ended

He also had said the days of schools wanting to be known as great overall athletic programs are over - it’s the big 3/4 sports that matter and even those vary by school after football

Pharm Frog

You are also going to have schools begin cancelling every sport that doesn’t get close to paying it’s own way

Talked to the AD of a large state school on a hunting trip during their off week

He said the day his school has to pay track, swimming, golf, etc athletes is the day every one of those programs gets put on a clock to break even in 5 years or be ended

He also had said the days of schools wanting to be known as great overall athletic programs are over - it’s the big 3/4 sports that matter and even those vary by school after football
Watch what happens when Title 9 gets more involved. I would not want to be playing a sport that generally identifies as a men’s sport.

Klaw

I guess but correct me if I’m wrong, but when a player switches teams usually there is compensation given, right? They don’t just all play on 1-year contracts and are essentially free agents every year, are they?
Yes, there is a transfer fee paid by the buyer to the seller

FrogBall09

Watch what happens when Title 9 gets more involved. I would not want to be playing a sport that generally identifies as a men’s sport.
Title 9 will be overturned as soon as it is next taken to court by a school refusing to pay any female athletes- there is no basis for title 9 once the athletes are paid to play

Pharm Frog

Title 9 will be overturned as soon as it is next taken to court by a school refusing to pay any female athletes- there is no basis for title 9 once the athletes are paid to play
As long as athletics is considered an educational experience by schools participating in federal funding programs Title 9 will apply. You might get around the first two components: participation and athletic scholarships but I see no way to get around the third component of “other program components”. Maybe every school can come up with an LSU gymnast or two to balance the books.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
The sound stuff is getting out of control everywhere. I don't know where this is at AGCS because I haven't been able to make it back to Fort Worth in several years, but when I go to games elsewhere it drives me crazy. I went to a game at Kentucky this year and the sound system was insanely loud and played every second the ball wasn't in play. The Kentucky band played very seldom, and every time the Tennessee band played the sound system played over it. It was absolutely awful and I'll never go to a game there again. And I'm not old; I'm barely more than 40. The point to me is the destruction of tradition: you go to college games for the sights and sounds of campus. When the ball isn't in play entertainment should be the marching band. If the band isn't playing, let people talk. I don't care which helmet the football is hidden under on your jumbotron because I'm not a moron, and I don't need any help with hearing loss.

As for NIL from the first post, the system is crazy. I've said it before, but the players need to have revenue shares from the TV money: they generate it, they should keep it. It's insane to ask people to pony up for season tickets and everything else you pay for then ask for more to pay the players because you can't give them the literal millions of dollars you already have but have to spend on other stuff. I know it's complicated to reclassify players as employees, but there must be something more sensible than this. Classify them as work-study students with a revenue share subcontract arrangement or something. Just find the best work around title IX, get out of the equal scholarship requirement shackles, separate football from non-revenue sports in the budget, and pay the players the money they have earned.
I love watching English Premier League Football. It is so jarring to go from watching a game where the only sound in the stadium are fans cheering, clapping, and actually singing real songs about their teams and individual players to the cacophony of college football. Not to mention the joy of watching an full half of 45 minutes of near-continuous gameplay uninterrupted by interminable commercial breaks. It makes college football seem cheap and tawdry in comparison.

Limey Frog

I love watching English Premier League Football. It is so jarring to go from watching a game where the only sound in the stadium are fans cheering, clapping, and actually singing real songs about their teams and individual players to the cacophony of college football. Not to mention the joy of watching an full half of 45 minutes of near-continuous gameplay uninterrupted by interminable commercial breaks. It makes college football seem cheap and tawdry in comparison.
Yeah, obviously that's what I grew up on. The "entertainment" and atmosphere in the ground comes from fans chanting, often insultingly at each other: good clean fun. College football games now are getting like the NBA. We're all just treated like morons in need of constant stimulation.

Wexahu

Yeah, obviously that's what I grew up on. The "entertainment" and atmosphere in the ground comes from fans chanting, often insultingly at each other: good clean fun. College football games now are getting like the NBA. We're all just treated like morons in need of constant stimulation.
The games themselves are really not that entertaining. Most of them anyway. Especially for the average, casual fan. I tell those kind of people not to go to the games because I know they won’t really like it and it’ll take forever to end.

All the extra stuff is part of trying to make fans feel like what they attending is somehow worth it. Trying to put lipstick on a poor product.

Limey Frog

The games themselves are really not that entertaining. Most of them anyway. Especially for the average, casual fan. I tell those kind of people not to go to the games because I know they won’t really like it and it’ll take forever to end.

All the extra stuff is part of trying to make fans feel like what they attending is somehow worth it. Trying to put lipstick on a poor product.
But really, who are these people saying to themselves "well the football wasn't great but at least the rap music was deafening and constant, plus they had a guy try to kick a field goal from the 15 yard line who missed it and did that thing on the jumbotron with the football hidden under one of three eggshells; that stuff really made it worthwhile"?

I don't want to believe these people exist. I think we've convinced ourselves that's what people are thinking because we're somehow uncomfortable saying that when you go to a college game you're just going for the experience of being back on campus, tailgating with friends and enjoying the tradition of the marching band and other spirit squad type stuff. That's all college football was for more than a century, and the football used to be much worse. People loved it. That's what I fell in love with. If people really like all the music and the jumbotron stuff then people really are as stupid as I'm worried they all might be.

I honestly look at this stuff as signs of civilizational decay: no hyperbole. We'll all be dressed in "pro wear" from wall-mounted dispensers before you know it.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
But really, who are these people saying to themselves "well the football wasn't great but at least the rap music was deafening and constant, plus they had a guy try to kick a field goal from the 15 yard line who missed it and did that thing on the jumbotron with the football hidden under one of three eggshells; that stuff really made it worthwhile"?

I don't want to believe these people exist. I think we've convinced ourselves that's that what people are thinking because we're somehow uncomfortable saying that when you go to a college game you're just going for the experience of being back on campus, tailgating with friends and enjoying the tradition of the marching band and other spirit squad type stuff. That's all college football was for more than a century, and the football used to be much worse. People loved it. That's what I feel in love with. If people really like all the music and the jumbotron stuff then people really are as stupid as I'm worried they all might be.

I honestly look at this stuff as signs of civilizational decay: no hyperbole. We'll all be dressed in "pro wear" from wall-mounted dispensers before you know it.
We used to talk. It was a social event.

That is no longer possible.

Sangria Wine

I don't want to believe these people exist. I think we've convinced ourselves that's that what people are thinking because we're somehow uncomfortable saying that when you go to a college game you're just going for the experience of being back on campus, tailgating with friends and enjoying the tradition of the marching band and other spirit squad type stuff. That's all college football was for more than a century, and the football used to be much worse. People loved it. That's what I feel in love with. If people really like all the music and the jumbotron stuff then people really are as stupid as I'm worried they all might be.

Seems it’s like everything else in society. When there was timely use of music or stadium announcing that helped fire things up it was a great addition to the band and organic fan led chants and cheers. But alas, enough is never enough…we just have to keep pushing things until good things become bad things. And good things have definitely become bad things today.