• The KillerFrogs

I guess if you don't give $$ to a NIL, you can't be a fan

froginmn

I still love attending games and my tailgate here in MN is a big part of why. Wish I was still in FW and going to TCU games but I'll take what I can get nearby.

I can see a time when I'll give up game tickets and ONLY tailgate, with a generator and TV.

But the NIL and specifically the unfettered transfers will ruin competitiveness and destroy the game IMO.

Coach Mora, don't complain to the fans, complain to the people who run the sport.

East Coast

Tier 1
What can be done is fix the broken NIL system. Make players actually do appearances, social media work, and be in commercials that the NIL is supposed to pay for. Make it a valid worth not a pay for play scheme.

I donate to the schools, not the players.
What is going to happen is the NCAA is going to lose the latest lawsuit, and the schools are going to have to pay the players directly, with the athletes of the revenue producing sports getting the bulk of the direct payments. At that point, or even before, you are going to have the FBS split everyone is talking about. You will be able to contribute directly to the school to fund this if you want, and athletes will have to do something to earn NIL money, similar to what you said above. Scholarship monies may or may not become taxable, but room and board certainly will be (at least at the federal level).

Pharm Frog

He’s not wrong. In the NIL era, we as alums need to cough up the money. Nobody likes it (except the players) but that’s how it is.
You nailed it here. The problem with the assertion though is that the “need” you speak of is one-sided. I feel precisely zero need to “cough up” anything under this system. We find ourselves in a free rider market and I’m content to participate. Never once have I donated to a minor league, semi-pro, free agent athletic organization and this won’t change.

froginmn

You nailed it here. The problem with the assertion though is that the “need” you speak of is one-sided. I feel precisely zero need to “cough up” anything under this system. We find ourselves in a free rider market and I’m content to participate. Never once have I donated to a minor league, semi-pro, free agent athletic organization and this won’t change.
I wonder how this will evolve. Currently you have the equivalent of the Royals trying to compete with the Yankees except there is no contract to wait out before the Yankees sign the Royals' best players.

I wonder if NIL deals will be structured with "length of service" clauses or similar, or if that would get caught in antitrust laws.

As you allude to, smaller schools are asking fans to donate to the Royals in an environment with no salary cap and no contracts. I have to think that at some point everyone other than the filthy rich will tire of it.

Wexahu

I wonder how this will evolve. Currently you have the equivalent of the Royals trying to compete with the Yankees except there is no contract to wait out before the Yankees sign the Royals' best players.
It’s worse than that. In pro sports they at least have a draft. I know it’s not all that relevant to baseball, so it’s more like the Dallas Cowboys competing with the Packers with no draft, no salary cap, and one year contracts. Dumber than dumb.

At least if they disallowed immediate eligibility for transfers, teams and coaches would have a “chance” to build and develop a team.

Wexahu

NIL and transfer portal. Asking fans to give big sums of money to someone who will leave in a heartbeat for more somewhere else. Player gone. Money gone. Ask donors to write more checks.

Welcome to the demise of everything you once loved about college athletics.
The immediate transfer eligibility thing kind of snuck in there under the radar because there was so much made publicly of NIL. To me, and I said so at the time, that is the FAR bigger problem. And people kind of dismissed it at the time, saying, well if coaches can leave and coach somewhere you’ve gotta let players too. Yada yada yada.

Well, here we are. NIL without immediate eligibility would work fine. Immediate eligibility with no NiL would still be a disaster.

HG73

I'm 72 and a season ticket holder for 50 years. Every year now is a decision on renewing. My big gripe is the drive. Heath to TCU used to be an hour each way. Now it's 1.5-2 hours coming back and getting worse.
Regarding NIL, I haven't contributed and probably won't. Retired, fixed income etc. I agree that eventually the school will pay the players so TV contracts will create a two tiered system. Frankly we're there now. Are the players even students anymore?
Hopefully NIL legislation will ban payments to HS recruits, place some kind of limits on transfers and create a salary cap.

Limey Frog

Mrs. Brewingfrog and I were walking back to our lodgings after the game on Saturday, and discussing the wisdom of continuing to purchase Season Tickets. Driving 300 miles to Fort Worth isn't getting any shorter, and the annoyance factors of the "Gameday Experience" are grating more and more heavily.

I hate and loathe the sound bombardment that seemingly makes up every formerly quiet moment. Between every play, filling every non-action second, there is annoying sound blaring out of those damned speakers on the North end. I cannot understand how anyone would feel that this is some kind of benefit, or desirable in any way. If I want to listen to such garbage, I would simply turn on a TV, but I don't. I pay good money to watch Football games, not be beaten down by talentless crap for three hours. If a tornado came through and tore out all that pricey sound gear, I'd rejoice.

Yeah, I'm old. I also help pay the bills by buying tickets. I don't have to buy the tickets, and when the annoyance outweighs the joy, I won't. And it's getting damned close.
The sound stuff is getting out of control everywhere. I don't know where this is at AGCS because I haven't been able to make it back to Fort Worth in several years, but when I go to games elsewhere it drives me crazy. I went to a game at Kentucky this year and the sound system was insanely loud and played every second the ball wasn't in play. The Kentucky band played very seldom, and every time the Tennessee band played the sound system played over it. It was absolutely awful and I'll never go to a game there again. And I'm not old; I'm barely more than 40. The point to me is the destruction of tradition: you go to college games for the sights and sounds of campus. When the ball isn't in play entertainment should be the marching band. If the band isn't playing, let people talk. I don't care which helmet the football is hidden under on your jumbotron because I'm not a moron, and I don't need any help with hearing loss.

As for NIL from the first post, the system is crazy. I've said it before, but the players need to have revenue shares from the TV money: they generate it, they should keep it. It's insane to ask people to pony up for season tickets and everything else you pay for then ask for more to pay the players because you can't give them the literal millions of dollars you already have but have to spend on other stuff. I know it's complicated to reclassify players as employees, but there must be something more sensible than this. Classify them as work-study students with a revenue share subcontract arrangement or something. Just find the best work around title IX, get out of the equal scholarship requirement shackles, separate football from non-revenue sports in the budget, and pay the players the money they have earned.

FroginBedford68

Exactly. A university can’t fix their own NIL funding troubles so it’s 100% on the fans to pay that bill. This era of college sports will ultimately end my passion for college aports unless major reform takes place. It’s just a matter of time until it’s just not fun anymore.
For me, it's not as much fun as it used to be....I don't get passionate over NFL competition, and I agree with you that NIL will eventually make the college game lose its attraction....It's what the big cigars have wanted to see happen for the last 5-10 years...a junior NFL--farm teams for the big boys....

Frogco2015

It’s worse than that. In pro sports they at least have a draft. I know it’s not all that relevant to baseball, so it’s more like the Dallas Cowboys competing with the Packers with no draft, no salary cap, and one year contracts. Dumber than dumb.

At least if they disallowed immediate eligibility for transfers, teams and coaches would have a “chance” to build and develop a team.
Yeah the quitter portal is worse than NIL. I don’t mind NIL because the most passionate alumni base can fund it and win as they choose which seems fair to me. The quitter portal just accommodates grifters.

Big Frog II

Too bad the NCAA is so poorly run. They could have instituted a reasonable NIL that would have been fair to all, but sadly they did not. The results are a free for all. This most likely will be the end of the NCAA unless they can get a handle on it. Sadly they are too incompetent to do so.

As for attending games, no matter our record, no matter our conference, not matter how lame the informercials are on our scoreboard, I will be there. For me the in person experience is a million times better than any other.

fanatical frog

I can see a time when I'll give up game tickets and ONLY tailgate, with a generator and TV.

But the NIL and specifically the unfettered transfers will ruin competitiveness and destroy the game IMO.

Coach Mora, don't complain to the fans, complain to the people who run the sport.

Agree, in spades.

Last edited:

tjcoffice

And then you get things like Sam Hartman. He did 5 years at Wake Forest, then transferred to Notre Dame. He has had a great year. ND's last game was at Wake Forest. During the game, ND played a video extolling the many virtues of Hartman. The video said ND would always love Hartman. So, the Wake Forest coach says, rightly I think, that ND just "rented" Hartman. It was Wake Forest who recruited him and developed him. https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...sts-dave-clawson-you-rented-him-for-a-season/

Endless Purple

What is going to happen is the NCAA is going to lose the latest lawsuit, and the schools are going to have to pay the players directly, with the athletes of the revenue producing sports getting the bulk of the direct payments. At that point, or even before, you are going to have the FBS split everyone is talking about. You will be able to contribute directly to the school to fund this if you want, and athletes will have to do something to earn NIL money, similar to what you said above. Scholarship monies may or may not become taxable, but room and board certainly will be (at least at the federal level).
Agree this looks accurate. As this gets closer, I will stop all college sports (and probably all college since I connect through athletics) and find other means of entertainment to spend money on.

I do not mind a specified stipend for athletes on top of scholarships, training, tutoring, medical care, room and board, etc.., but open market makes an uneven playing field which is why the big schools do not want the NCAA to fix anything. Since when has a school like UT, Alabama, or Ohio State ever cared about winning on a level playing field.

I don't support the egos of players thinking they are worth tons of money for playing a game. Not to mention very few schools are making much money as profit as it almost all goes back to the athletic expenses to provide for said athletes. I have never bought a shirt or jersey or anything because of a player, and I have never bought one for a player from another school because of the player (or ever). I support the school logo on the jersey, and whatever player happens to wear said jersey.

Wog68

And then you get things like Sam Hartman. He did 5 years at Wake Forest, then transferred to Notre Dame. He has had a great year. ND's last game was at Wake Forest. During the game, ND played a video extolling the many virtues of Hartman. The video said ND would always love Hartman. So, the Wake Forest coach says, rightly I think, that ND just "rented" Hartman. It was Wake Forest who recruited him and developed him. https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...sts-dave-clawson-you-rented-him-for-a-season/
TCU has a basketball player who has been in college for 7 years.

tetonfrog

If you are really interested in changing college sports, the first place to start is to make sure all scholarships are for 4 years. You damn a kid for changing schools once or twice or.......but any coach in any sport can pull a scholarship at the end of any year and dump a kid to the curb for "underperforming." Where is the loyalty to the player? And why is it OK for a coach to take another job at any time, but his players are stuck in bad situations?

And, yes, the NIL needs to be reformed, but a return to the good old days is unacceptable. The players deserve some of the money that the big-time colleges rake in from the TV deals

If the NCAA and the schools wanted to reform the NIL, it would be easy to do. The problem is they don't want to disrupt the status quo because it tips the scales in favor of the blue bloods.

Last edited:

Endless Purple

And, yes, the NIL needs to be reformed, but a return to the good old days is unacceptable. The players deserve some of the money that the big-time colleges rake in from the TV deals
Somewhat agree with the first part of your post, but question on this section. If the players deserve some money from the TV deals, I assume you are talking payments/cash.

Does that mean it would be ok to stop giving them really nice lockers, paying for all room and board, removing the game rooms, etc..?

or

Should the athletes get a big percentage on top of all the expenses incurred in giving them a great playing area? If so where does the additional money come from to maintain all the other expenses already incurred that is paid for from the media deals?

I ask as that is where most of the money goes, back to the athletes already.

PS. Agree that the good old days is unacceptable.