• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Pieces of [ Finebaum ]...

Someone skimmed my debit card at some point. Just happened to log in and look at my balance, and here are 2 x $99 transactions (swiped) at a Citgo in Sugar Land. I've never been to SL. I don't even want to go to SL. But apparently - and bank confirmed was a swipe - someone with my card info has been all up in Sugar Land.

But... the good news is it was caught, it is being corrected, and if 2 police departments want to do some work, we can catch some card thieves because I know the exact time the fake swipe happened.

It is way too easy for people to do this sort of thing nowadays.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Pieces of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]...

Someone skimmed my debit card at some point. Just happened to log in and look at my balance, and here are 2 x $99 transactions (swiped) at a Citgo in Sugar Land. I've never been to SL. I don't even want to go to SL. But apparently - and bank confirmed was a swipe - someone with my card info has been all up in Sugar Land.

But... the good news is it was caught, it is being corrected, and if 2 police departments want to do some work, we can catch some card thieves because I know the exact time the fake swipe happened.

I have at least two credit card numbers stolen every year. I’ve learned to accept it. Somehow they need to make it harder for shipheads to steal numbers.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I have at least two credit card numbers stolen every year. I’ve learned to accept it. Somehow they need to make it harder for shipheads to steal numbers.
Why they can't put a fingerprint reader on a card is beyond me. I know it can be done, just probably expensive. Hell, I read about one kid about to finish inventing a way to put a fingerprint reader on a pistol. If a teenager can do that, Mastercard can make these more secure.

netty2424

Why they can't put a fingerprint reader on a card is beyond me. I know it can be done, just probably expensive. Hell, I read about one kid about to finish inventing a way to put a fingerprint reader on a pistol. If a teenager can do that, Mastercard can make these more secure.
Had a cc number stolen, then they loaded it on a blank, and headed to Target in Dallas. Tried to rack up a couple hundred dollars through self checkout. My phone starts blowing up with texts and calls. Stepped out of a meeting and it was Amex calling asking if I had my card on me to which I confirmed that I did. They declined the transaction. Only thing I can think that flagged that was the fact that I have the Amex app on my phone, and somehow the geolocation algorithm signaled a possible fraud. Otherwise not sure how they knew to call on that specific charge when I use that card for everything.

AMEX wouldn’t give me the exact Target location so I could call and get video, just said Dallas area. Asked why, said for my own protection.

EDIT thieves blow.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Had a cc number stolen, then they loaded it on a blank, and headed to Target in Dallas. Tried to rack up a couple hundred dollars through self checkout. My phone starts blowing up with texts and calls. Stepped out of a meeting and it was Amex calling asking if I had my card on me to which I confirmed that I did. They declined the transaction. Only thing I can think that flagged that was the fact that I have the Amex app on my phone, and somehow the geolocation algorithm signaled a possible fraud. Otherwise not sure how they knew to call on that specific charge when I use that card for everything.

AMEX wouldn’t give me the exact Target location so I could call and get video, just said Dallas area. Asked why, said for my own protection.

EDIT thieves blow.
See, that's not a bueno policy for AmEx IMHO. If people want to report to police, they need a location.

Legacy TX gave me the location, address, date and time.

netty2424

See, that's not a bueno policy for AmEx IMHO. If people want to report to police, they need a location.

Legacy TX gave me the location, address, date and time.
Yah that wouldve been good to have that info.

They told me they would pursue their own actions from a legal standpoint. Doubtful they did anything at all.

DeuceBoogieNights

Between my wife and I we've had six different card numbers stolen from us this year and only one time did we physically lose the card. Had one this week for $100 in gas in San Antonio. Seems to always be gas or groceries.

JugbandFrog

Pieces of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]...

I use a low-limit Credit card ($1,800) for all my daily in-person transactions to prevent my real money from being touched.

I had an issue a few years back when some ahole went on a shopping spree in Florida at a Wal-Mart. It took a while for the bank to restore my money as bank debit cards work differently from credit cards.

I have an RFID(?) proof wallet which prevents people from scanning the card from your pocket. I don’t even carry around my debit card. If I need cash, I use my Apple Pay to make a transaction at the ATM.

Ron Swanson

I use a low-limit Credit card ($1,800) for all my daily in-person transactions to prevent my real money from being touched.

I had an issue a few years back when some ahole went on a shopping spree in Florida at a Wal-Mart. It took a while for the bank to restore my money as bank debit cards work differently from credit cards.

I have an RFID(?) proof wallet which prevents people from scanning the card from your pocket. I don’t even carry around my debit card. If I need cash, I use my Apple Pay to make a transaction at the ATM.
I’ve been pretty lucky in this regard... had fraud happen maybe 3-4 times over the course of my adult life (that I know of at least), and every single time, the bank (Chase) or CC company (AmEx) has called me to alert me to it and then refunded me immediately.

I have had one of those RFID wallets for the last couple years and don’t think I’ve had anything happen since. Hadn’t really thought about it but maybe that’s helped.

There’s a company called articulate that sells these wallets and money clips online. Fashionable and well made and fairly cheap.

https://articulatelifestyle.com/collections/money-clips-2015

Eight

Zubaz or JD'S

7ee596b691a14d9d1e31f84d1bed985c.jpg

enhanced-buzz-1479-1378930472-24.jpg
211956.jpg
zubaz-pants-11.jpg

GeoFrog

Between my wife and I we've had six different card numbers stolen from us this year and only one time did we physically lose the card. Had one this week for $100 in gas in San Antonio. Seems to always be gas or groceries.
Typically what these guys do is go buy a bunch of gift cards with your CC until it gets declined. Then they can still spend the money. Gas Stations are the best place to do that.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Typically what these guys do is go buy a bunch of gift cards with your CC until it gets declined. Then they can still spend the money. Gas Stations are the best place to do that.
When we lived in Fort Lauderdale we had our number stolen. They basically drove straight up I-95 stopping at every Wal-Mart and spending exactly $100 until the CC company caught on and stopped it. Pretty sure it was the Eastern European owned pizza shop. Good pizza. Sketchy delivery dude.

Purp

Had my identity stolen earlier this year. Seemed like simple credit card fraud, but they had enough info on me to call USAA and pre-authorize a couple huge purchases at Best Buy. USAA was great about making it right, but even an RFID wallet didn't make a difference that time. Those darners are sinister.