• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU vs Cyclones (Game Moved to 1PM)

Fans get delusional in that they start believing “competitive” equals 7-5 years with the occasional 9 W.....That’s the real problem. Expectations are either way to high or way to low. GP pulled us up by his boot straps because he never believed 8 wins was good enough. I’m not sure a program that recruits the way we do and hires as poorly as GP does can ever really challenge for a National Championship. But in my mind the expectation should be for us to get deep into the season with a chance at a conference title ....that’s competitive
How many remember the "dark ages" from the mid 60's to Franchione. Patterson has been a blessing to this program. He deserves every opportunity to turn this around. If he cannot, he deserves to leave on his own terms. We (TCU fans) have not always been so delusional. In the end, it's only a football game.

LVH

How many remember the "dark ages" from the mid 60's to Franchione. Patterson has been a blessing to this program. He deserves every opportunity to turn this around. If he cannot, he deserves to leave on his own terms. We (TCU fans) have not always been so delusional. In the end, it's only a football game.

Finally, a reasonable post

AroundWorldFrog

We've said 5 of the eight years in the Big 12 to let him turn it around.

Moose Stuff

Sure. But he’s got to change some things. Status quo and just hoping it gets better ain’t gonna work.

Wexahu

Woody Hayes, Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno....coaches who just coached too long.

The list is long. Here closer to home, Mack stayed at UT too long and Stoops stayed at OU too long. I think once a guy gets to about 10 years, some complacency and staleness starts setting in. The move to the Big 12 kind of reset the clock for GP because you could tell he was HIGHLY motivated to prove we could win at this level. For the first time ever I am thinking we’d be better of with a different HC. I don’t know if the game has passed him by but I’ve seen too many absolutely listless performances the past few years to think otherwise. We almost epitomize a stale program.

Pharm Frog

Cause I love Gary. He was what we needed. But I think it's time. I hate typing that. I became a TCU fan in 2001. He's basically all I know... But it's time and I hate it.

I preceded you by only one season and I appreciate what CGP has done for this school, this program, this community, etc. The Rose Bowl will forever be the pinnacle of college football for me and fulfilled a bucket list item for Mrs. The statue stands. I’ll post it for the second time in three weeks —- sometimes you need your Joshua when Moses can’t get you where you know you must go. Doesn’t make me sad though. Change isn’t generally an emotional thing for me when the evidence appears overwhelming in favor. What would be far far worse is deterioration of the program relying on nostalgia and hope.

Mean Purple

He is not paid "leave on his own terms" money. He is paid "deliver" money.
Should he get another year, yes. But if he wont make needed changes for coaches, including s&c, and has another bad season, well, then he risks it.

Many of us were here pre fran, but we cant get suckered I to thinking another great coach would not come or that Patterson should not have to win.

Nobody wants him gone, but he is the one who controls his fate.

Froggish

As I said we definitely owe him as long as he wants. No issue at all with him calling his shots. I just want us to acknowledge that if he stays long enough, it’s possible for him to lead us right back from whence we came...

Wexahu

Name 5 names. Put up or shut up

This is kind of stupid. I’m not an AD and I don’t have my list of all the candidates out there but there are quality coaches to be had if we offer enough money, which I’m sure we could.

Nobody figured Matt Rhule would be a candidate for the Baylor job when Briles left but here he is, doing a pretty good job. He’s probably a really good coach if we’re being honest.

There are guys out there to go hire. The job has to be available first before you find out.

Mean Purple

The list is long. Here closer to home, Mack stayed at UT too long and Stoops stayed at OU too long. I think once a guy gets to about 10 years, some complacency and staleness starts setting in. The move to the Big 12 kind of reset the clock for GP because you could tell he was HIGHLY motivated to prove we could win at this level. For the first time ever I am thinking we’d be better of with a different HC. I don’t know if the game has passed him by but I’ve seen too many absolutely listless performances the past few years to think otherwise. We almost epitomize a stale program.
How has Patterson done since we came to the Big 12?
And not compared to just bad coaches, but overall.

He needs to get it in gear.

Mean Purple

This is kind of stupid. I’m not an AD and I don’t have my list of all the candidates out there but there are quality coaches to be had if we offer enough money, which I’m sure we could.

Nobody figured Matt Rhule would be a candidate for the Baylor job when Briles left but here he is, doing a pretty good job. He’s probably a really good coach if we’re being honest.

There are guys out there to go hire. The job has to be available first before you find out.
The thing is, should not have to. If Patterson will stop being stubborn and get new assistants, it gets fixed.
Bring back Meach or get an OC that can actually run whatever the hell it is GP is hoping for.
Get an o line coach.
Get a rcvrs coach.

Froggish

I know whoever we get one day will be handed the keys to a program that has infinitely more resources than the one GP took over. It will be a pretty damn good situation to walk into..P5 program, Lot of money, Great facilities, and sitting squarely in a recruiting hot bed..A new coaches dream

Sometimes a program just needs a fresh face. It’s just possible that new scenery for TCU and GP might mean success for both