• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread, Championship Edition: TCU vs Georgia; Sponsored by Hell's Half Acre Stadium Goods

kramer-seinfeld-running.gif

smufrogger

sonny mentioned in his post game they felt the two full practices this week were as good as the ones they had the week before the michigan game so what went wrong?

hard to say, maybe it was the moment, maybe it was the realization of what they were actually playing for instead of just one game at a time

maybe sonny and his staff should have done a better job, no one on this board can truly answer that, but we did hear comments from the tcu sideline that gillespie was frustrated with his defense for not getting properly lined up, for missing assignments, so why?

that is up to sonny and his staff to figure out
Why were the signals so slow to thr defense?

tjcoffice

After watching a game like this you wonder how a team like Missouri took UGA down to the wire. Just doesn’t seem possible. I guess you also wonder how we were 13-1 entering this game.
That's that mental element. The boys played with heart all year. Now, their heart let them down.

Eight

He’s right in that it wouldn’t have been as lopsided because the GP MO would have ordered the OC to run the ball every play to shorten the game and punted on every 4th down regardless of field position.

While the D was dazed and confused all game, the most concerning thing to me was the inability of the interior O line to even produce modest resistance to the UGA D line. I expected some wear and tear there but not from the get-go.

the difference in athletic ability between the interior uga defensive linemen and the tcu interior offensive line was brutally stark

texas with their two big defensive tackles clogged the run, but they didn't get pressure in the pass rush like georgia and when you can't protect from the inside or create any space to run things come apart quickly

Eight

Dude, you cannot deny that this team did not fire on all cylinders tonight. It wasn’t all UGA recruits that resulted in this score.
National title game and frogs were not ready. That is on coaching.

If the run gets you first down, do it. If you get burned on a seam, practice for it.
Lesser teams played UGA better this year.

no, this team didn't fire on all cylinders and some is on coaching, but you keep saying practice again and again but if you don't have that level of talent it makes it damn near impossible to give a comparable look

there is no one on the tcu roster who could fill the role of bowers or washington on the scout offense, which tight end on the tcu roster is making that td catch bowers made against camara? which tight end on the tcu roster is tossing johnny hodges around like a rag doll like washington did in the run blocking game a few times last night?

seriously on the ball to bowers out in the flat in the 3rd quarter washington comes, picks up a tcu defensive back and drives him 10+ yards down the field. if tcu has anyone on their roster who can do that they damn well aren't on the scout team giving the defense a look.

did we even need to talk about who can play that uga defensive line? the frogs knew what to do in many situations last night, they just couldn't get their fast enough or do it well enough

Bruce Berry

This hurt our program. Like someone said above, even if we had lost something like 37-18, I think it still would have been respectable and, since it was the national championship vs SEC, been a win for recruiting. However, what occurred tonight is going to haunt us for a while. Yes, Georgia is highly talented but a lot of this falls on our shoulders. Kent State put up a better fight. We were scared.

Like Oregon. Georgia beat them by 46 on a national stage this year. Kent State put up a better fight. They were scared. That hurt their program-they sunk to finishing 10-3.

Shut the scheiss up.

Great season for us. Proud of our guys.

Mean Purple

no, this team didn't fire on all cylinders and some is on coaching, but you keep saying practice again and again but if you don't have that level of talent it makes it damn near impossible to give a comparable look

there is no one on the tcu roster who could fill the role of bowers or washington on the scout offense, which tight end on the tcu roster is making that td catch bowers made against camara? which tight end on the tcu roster is tossing johnny hodges around like a rag doll like washington did in the run blocking game a few times last night?

seriously on the ball to bowers out in the flat in the 3rd quarter washington comes, picks up a tcu defensive back and drives him 10+ yards down the field. if tcu has anyone on their roster who can do that they damn well aren't on the scout team giving the defense a look.

did we even need to talk about who can play that uga defensive line? the frogs knew what to do in many situations last night, they just couldn't get their fast enough or do it well enough
No, we don’t have a scout team for that. Neither do other teams who played UGA better than we did. Frogs knew what that D line was coming in. And there are designed runs to help with that. Stretch them out as much as you can. Our guys were run blocking well.

Mean Purple

This hurt our program. Like someone said above, even if we had lost something like 37-18, I think it still would have been respectable and, since it was the national championship vs SEC, been a win for recruiting. However, what occurred tonight is going to haunt us for a while. Yes, Georgia is highly talented but a lot of this falls on our shoulders. Kent State put up a better fight. We were scared.
I don’t think our guys were scared. I think they just got demoralized as any team would in that situation. But it should not resulted in guys just standing around and watching. And that happened on several plays in the 2nd qtr.

Eight

No, we don’t have a scout team for that. Neither do other teams who played UGA better than we did. Frogs knew what that D line was coming in. And there are designed runs to help with that. Stretch them out as much as you can. Our guys were run blocking well.

so uga approached the kent game with the same level of intensity? the mizzou game?

uga on more than just last night showed that we they raised their level of intensity no one could go toe to toe with them. they did it against uo in the opener and they absolutely dismantled the vols offense as well this year.

do think that one big difference with how both teams approached this game mentally was how they went through the season.

this cfp final was uga's goal all year long and i do believe everything smart and his staff did was driven by reaching that ultimate goal be it going through fall camp to a daily practice etc.....

no way tcu started the season with that mindset and i think we saw the mental fatigue start to catch up with the frogs as well as the physical. when you have a staff that has never had to endure a 15-game season how can thy know what to expect? you can talk to people, but the number of people who have been in that situation is small and no one took the path the frogs did which i think in the end caught up with them

all these little things, the mental fatigue, the talent difference, the lack of experience in these situations for the COACHES and the players.

read sonny's comments after the game and there is no doubt he, his staff, and this team are absolutely empty, nothing left to give and the unfortunate part is they bonked with roughly 3 quarters or so to go in the season

y2kFrog

so uga approached the kent game with the same level of intensity? the mizzou game?

uga on more than just last night showed that we they raised their level of intensity no one could go toe to toe with them. they did it against uo in the opener and they absolutely dismantled the vols offense as well this year.

do think that one big difference with how both teams approached this game mentally was how they went through the season.

this cfp final was uga's goal all year long and i do believe everything smart and his staff did was driven by reaching that ultimate goal be it going through fall camp to a daily practice etc.....

no way tcu started the season with that mindset and i think we saw the mental fatigue start to catch up with the frogs as well as the physical. when you have a staff that has never had to endure a 15-game season how can thy know what to expect? you can talk to people, but the number of people who have been in that situation is small and no one took the path the frogs did which i think in the end caught up with them

all these little things, the mental fatigue, the talent difference, the lack of experience in these situations for the COACHES and the players.

read sonny's comments after the game and there is no doubt he, his staff, and this team are absolutely empty, nothing left to give and the unfortunate part is they bonked with roughly 3 quarters or so to go in the season

This 100%. I know as a fan, even I became mentally exhausted from the journey (and all the traveling). I had a friend ask me if I was nervous about the game. It was weird, I wasn't as I think the glory the Fiesta Bowl has not worn off yet and it felt like we were playing with house money. I am just a little old fan...multiply that by like a million and I 100% understand how the players had given all they could.

Mean Purple

Agree with a lot of that. Nobody is saying we could have won that game. But play calls and the game plan was not suited for this game and it showed early. I just think if we run the ball more our guys get settled a little more and it would not have been that bad and the defense would have stayed composed more.

y2kFrog

Agree with a lot of that. Nobody is saying we could have won that game. But play calls and the game plan was not suited for this game and it showed early. I just think if we run the ball more our guys get settled a little more and it would not have been that bad and the defense would have stayed composed more.
We can complain about the game plan all you want, but trying to figure out what to do against Georgia is nearly impossible. When you stick in tape of Texas this year, the game plan is obvious....make Ewers beat you. I could go on and on for each team we played (including Michigan). You could watch every Georgia game the last 2 years and still not have any clue what to do.

Mean Purple

We never played a team like this Georgia team during those years. Not even close. We can all try and convince ourselves that Ole Miss and Wisconsin were similar, but they were not.
No we did not. But his point was a GP team would not have went down that way, by that much. And that’s hard to argue with.
I also think we saw troubles of a 3-3-5 last night. Hopefully it is different if we recruit well there, but 3 just won’t cut it at that level of competition. Makes Bowers and company job of blocking at the midlevel easier.

FrogMBA16

This game had nothing to do with gameplan for Kirby defensively (offensively - Monken put on a misdirection clinic). Listen to Kirby's pregame.

It was over from the coin toss at midfield. Just a completely different level of athlete. I'm not sure a single screen pass worked... Georgia's speed was nasty.