• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread, Championship Edition: TCU vs Georgia; Sponsored by Hell's Half Acre Stadium Goods

Pharm Frog

No we did not. But his point was a GP team would not have went down that way, by that much. And that’s hard to argue with.
I also think we saw troubles of a 3-3-5 last night. Hopefully it is different if we recruit well there, but 3 just won’t cut it at that level of competition. Makes Bowers and company job of blocking at the midlevel easier.
Still say this is correct on two levels as GP would have conceded in Q2 by running the ball exclusively, running down the play clock and punting as soon as he could AND GP would never have even be able to guide this team to the point where they would have even been on the field on the last game of the season. So yes…GP would not have been beaten this badly or at all last night.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
This game had nothing to do with gameplan for Kirby defensively (offensively - Monken put on a misdirection clinic). Listen to Kirby's pregame.

It was over from the coin toss at midfield. Just a completely different level of athlete. I'm not sure a single screen pass worked... Georgia's speed was nasty.

Geez coach Smart, try some Sanka. Sounds like he wanted an embarrassment more than just a win.

Last edited:

Wexahu

No we did not. But his point was a GP team would not have went down that way, by that much. And that’s hard to argue with.
I also think we saw troubles of a 3-3-5 last night. Hopefully it is different if we recruit well there, but 3 just won’t cut it at that level of competition. Makes Bowers and company job of blocking at the midlevel easier.
Has nothing to do with the 3-3-5 and everything to do with personnel IMO.

I think we were just spent to be honest. Georgia is a much better team to be sure but I think their minds were in a better place too. They were ready to kick ass, we seemed to be there to soak it all in and then when the lights came on we weren’t really ready. Pin that on the coaching staff I guess but they’ve been doing it with smoke and mirrors all season, we finally met a match that was way too much.

FrogMBA16

I think we were just spent to be honest. Georgia is a much better team to be sure but I think their minds were in a better place too. They were ready to kick ass, we seemed to be there to soak it all in and then when the lights came on we weren’t really ready. Pin that on the coaching staff I guess but they’ve been doing it with smoke and mirrors all season, we finally met a match that was way too much.
This is correct - Georgia runs/ran plenty of 3 man fronts. TCU has one of the oldest/most experienced teams in college football but with only 17/85 players being 4 stars. Georgia has damn near 80% 4/5 stars on their squad. It was evident instantly.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
A little realism needed?

We had a great season, but a very fortunate season. Not a criticism, but all those comebacks (not the least of which was a last second FG at Baylor), a cobbled roster of GP leftovers and transfers that were picked to finish 5-7 does not equate to a team built over time with the cream of the crop like Georgia. I think it’s a credit to the kids and coaching staff to have over-achieved this year. I’m not sure we lose that bad but I’m not sure we win any or many if we played Georgia 10 times. That’s a lot of big fast future NFL talent.

Now it’s time to try and bring in as many good big fast bodies as we can and try to build on this miraculous year. Nobody on our schedule can really say much, especially the little pony boys. We beat them all, we were one of the two last standing and they none of them were. Maybe it was a combination of a gritty classy kid from Iowa, a top notch receiver, a new coaching attitude, an up and coming freshman nose tackle, a lot of luck, some smoke and mirrors, but it is a much better first step in trying to be more like a Georgia than trying to go out and recruit off a 5-7 record.

Getting blown out by a team like Georgia, especially one bent on not just winning, but destroying (as the recording above shows) shouldn’t be the theme of 2022. The theme should be the little school from Fort Worth overachieved, played together and finished 13-2. There aren’t many left standing that can claim that.

Onward and upward Froggies!

Last edited:

Chongo94

Have you ever given thought to the possibility, that maybe, just maybe, a GP coached TCU team actually gets beat even worse than last night?

Eight

reading sonny's after game comments it is very, very apparent he, his staff, those players are spent

you can talk to all the people you want about how you should prepare for this type of season, but how many have truly navigated it in a successful manner? how many started where tcu did this season?

keep thinking about a guy i know who in his younger days was a world class marathoner, ran sub 2:10 at boston, but bonked really bad in one of his first competitive runs at boston

he had trained for that race, planned a race strategy, knew the course, ate, hydrated, and it still got the best of him

tcu just finished a 15-game marathon that they weren't preparing for last summer, heck, they weren't preparing to end their year with the #2 and then #1 team, they will simply trying to win, and the program bonked really hard, sucks, but it was a great run.and time to learn and build from it

LVH

We never played a team like this Georgia team during those years. Not even close. We can all try and convince ourselves that Ole Miss and Wisconsin were similar, but they were not.
That 2008 Oklahoma team is the only team we've played in the last 25 years that can be even in the same ballpark, and even then I think last night's UGA team beats that 2008 Oklahoma team pretty easily

Mean Purple

Still say this is correct on two levels as GP would have conceded in Q2 by running the ball exclusively, running down the play clock and punting as soon as he could AND GP would never have even be able to guide this team to the point where they would have even been on the field on the last game of the season. So yes…GP would not have been beaten this badly or at all last night.
Ha. good point. And I agree with him running the clock down too early. But Sonny went the other extreme last night. When you look at how the line was pushing UGA off on run plays, you gotta ride that pony while you can. That is not running the clock down GP style. That is playing complementary football. And it may have given Max a chance to settle in some.

This is why I am not a fan of the air raid. Sonny had mixed it with the run more all season, then last night too much to the air with a team that was not comfortable and got bit. The air raid does not work at that level of competition. When a defense with speed is not kept honest with a balance of running, they don't worry about coming off any coverage. They just take of the "open space" that the air raid plays too. And the speed UGA has can shut down a screen better.

Mean Purple

I swear some of you would rather win in a [ Finebaum ] bowl than get blown out in the national championship.

People think the program is worse off today than it was before the game? Recruits think "I don't want to lose in the natty I want to go to Tech and win the Texas Bowl."? [ get out of here ]
Nobody wants to get blown out. No matter the game. Especially recruits. We had a narrative that was solid after Fiesta, that got flipped last night and it can affect recruiting.

Mean Purple

We can complain about the game plan all you want, but trying to figure out what to do against Georgia is nearly impossible. When you stick in tape of Texas this year, the game plan is obvious....make Ewers beat you. I could go on and on for each team we played (including Michigan). You could watch every Georgia game the last 2 years and still not have any clue what to do.
Actually, Ohio State and UGA planned out very well. Was not impossible for them. If Marvin Harrison Jr. does not get knocked out by what would have been a targeting call against other teams, Georgia's comeback does not likely keep pace the the Buckeyes scoring. UGA had no answer for him. Went he got taken out, it stopped the freeing up of the other rcvrs.

Eight

Actually, Ohio State and UGA planned out very well. Was not impossible for them. If Marvin Harrison Jr. does not get knocked out by what would have been a targeting call against other teams, Georgia's comeback does not likely keep pace the the Buckeyes scoring. UGA had no answer for him. Went he got taken out, it stopped the freeing up of the other rcvrs.

this, that game changed on the injury

Mean Purple

Dykes is just doing what dykes does. Dykes is 2-4 in bowl games, with 3 embarrassing losses.

10-51 2017 Frisco Bowl
28-52 2019 Boca Raton Bowl
7-65 2023 Embarrassment Bowl
Last night showed the Hal Mumme's high school offense concept, even though evolved, is not balanced enough to run with big fast men. More RPO helps.

An-Cap Frog

To add. We changed defensive philosophies from one that wanted to rush 4 and get pressure on the QB to one that wants to rush 3 and let everything happen in front of them. We don't really have the upper classmen personnel in house to effectively run the scheme. I'm not saying that the guys that we did have weren't good, we definitely had talent, but they were not the ideal players for this system.

Mean Purple

To add. We changed defensive philosophies from one that wanted to rush 4 and get pressure on the QB to one that wants to rush 3 and let everything happen in front of them. We don't really have the upper classmen personnel in house to effectively run the scheme. I'm not saying that the guys that we did have weren't good, we definitely had talent, but they were not the ideal players for this system.
There is a reason UGA moves up a 4th guy on the line so much on defense. They set into a 4-2-5 on pass defense almost as a default. They base out of that 3-4 and get a linebacker who is almost hybrid DE. And then find a safety who is basically hybrid LB, like Clemson likes to use. We are going to need the same hybrids at peak level if we want a 3-3-5 to work with the national champ game level competition.

MadFrog

I think we were just spent to be honest. Georgia is a much better team to be sure but I think their minds were in a better place too. They were ready to kick ass, we seemed to be there to soak it all in and then when the lights came on we weren’t really ready. Pin that on the coaching staff I guess but they’ve been doing it with smoke and mirrors all season, we finally met a match that was way too much
The two biggest games of the year were the Big 12 Championship and the Nat'l Championship. Dykes could not win either game. I personally don't like the 3-3-5. Most teams do not use it. But on doubt, this was a boys vs men game. This was a slaughter. It had nothing to do with the choice of defense.