• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread, Championship Edition: TCU vs Georgia; Sponsored by Hell's Half Acre Stadium Goods

allclearforfrogs

This hurt our program. Like someone said above, even if we had lost something like 37-18, I think it still would have been respectable and, since it was the national championship vs SEC, been a win for recruiting. However, what occurred tonight is going to haunt us for a while. Yes, Georgia is highly talented but a lot of this falls on our shoulders. Kent State put up a better fight. We were scared.

this defense didn't stop uga all night, wasn't a matter of caving in it was a matter of providing little to no opposition, as to the why, can't tell you, but this idea that this situation is comparable to gary's defenses in the rose bowl and peach bowl after he had been at tcu for 14 years is ludicrous

please tell me when gary was a first year dc back in the late 90's if he ever was put in a comparable situation as going up against the defending national champion, please tell me when as a dc he was asked to reteach, retool, refit a defense that will play 15 games

won't wait for the answer because we all know the answer and that is he never was in that situation, but for some reason all season long people have struggled to realize how bare the cupboard was on the defensive side of the ball
I messed up the quoting feature, my only response to the other post was: “I think that stat hurts the most.. unfathomable”

Agree with your post, btw. Sorry for the confusion

Eight

no, I don't.

my point is that prior to today, we had never been railroaded in a post-season game / bowl game in the past 20 years.

so gary had been here how long in 2016? he had been recruiting to fill his defense for how many seasons?

the fact some of you can't grasp what a smoke and mirrors job joe gillespie and his staff have done this year i guess shouldn't be surprising, but after 14 games on tape it is hard to hide things

There were times when the line gave him 6 seconds and still did not get the ball off. That is some pressing, some not taking what’s there and some needing to hand the ball off more. That’s when you have him hand off to ED and Bailey and let him get his focus back on.
Agreed.. he used to take off and run more in the past too and chose not to tonight.

Mean Purple

this defense didn't stop uga all night, wasn't a matter of caving in it was a matter of providing little to no opposition, as to the why, can't tell you, but this idea that this situation is comparable to gary's defenses in the rose bowl and peach bowl after he had been at tcu for 14 years is ludicrous

underarmour_2_320x50.gif

please tell me when gary was a first year dc back in the late 90's if he ever was put in a comparable situation as going up against the defending national champion, please tell me when as a dc he was asked to reteach, retool, refit a defense that will play 15 games

scotts_300x250.jpg

won't wait for the answer because we all know the answer and that is he never was in that situation, but for some reason all season long people have struggled to realize how bare the cupboard was on the defensive side of the ball
A. I wrote that, not Argyle. Odd.

B. The point on GP stands.
when a GP coached team loses by +50 points in a post season game, then I'll come back here and sing songs praising your name.
folks want to act like our offense is not as talented at UGA. That ain’t the case. Our o line is not bad either.

But you have to give them a plan to attack the opponent. Run the ball and stretch them out. Boom, pass.

Eight

A. I wrote that, not Argyle. Odd.

B. The point on GP stands.

folks want to act like our offense is not as talented at UGA. That ain’t the case. Our o line is not bad either.

But you have to give them a plan to attack the opponent. Run the ball and stretch them out. Boom, pass.

the frogs offense was going against the georgia defense and not the tcu defense

there isn't any comparison between the talent in the uga defensive line rotation and the frogs rotation, not even close to a discussion on that matter

frogs did that run, run, run, try to pass and get sacked on the third series

uga is also loaded in that offensive line as well, have an edge over the frogs defensive front

the talent difference on these two rosters is that big, recruiting matters

gofor2

So confused by the pro-Gary posters tonight. Surely you guys aren’t wanting him back. Are you?
I cannot speak for anyone but myself.
No, I do not want him back. Yes, he needed to go. He had a great run but his time had come. If anything he had probably needed to be fired a year or two earlier.
Any posts that I have made about GP is related to his preparedness in post season games and our lack of preparedness today.

Eight

I cannot speak for anyone but myself.
No, I do not want him back. Yes, he needed to go. He had a great run but his time had come. If anything he had probably needed to be fired a year or two earlier.
Any posts that I have made about GP is related to his preparedness in post season games and our lack of preparedness today.

please tell me one post season situation that gary coached in that was comparable to preparing for a month to play a top 4 team, winning that game, and then having to play the best team in the country 9 days later

there is no situation comparable because he was never in that situation, every bowl game he had weeks to prepare not days

yes, this team was physically over-matched and then mentally vapor-locked, not denying that, but again this situation is so different from any of those 13 bowl games they aren't comparable situations

Pharm Frog

please tell me one post season situation that gary coached in that was comparable to preparing for a month to play a top 4 team, winning that game, and then having to play the best team in the country 9 days later

there is no situation comparable because he was never in that situation, every bowl game he had weeks to prepare not days

yes, this team was physically over-matched and then mentally vapor-locked, not denying that, but again this situation is so different from any of those 13 bowl games they aren't comparable situations
He’s right in that it wouldn’t have been as lopsided because the GP MO would have ordered the OC to run the ball every play to shorten the game and punted on every 4th down regardless of field position.

While the D was dazed and confused all game, the most concerning thing to me was the inability of the interior O line to even produce modest resistance to the UGA D line. I expected some wear and tear there but not from the get-go.

Mean Purple

Dude, you cannot deny that this team did not fire on all cylinders tonight. It wasn’t all UGA recruits that resulted in this score.
National title game and frogs were not ready. That is on coaching.

If the run gets you first down, do it. If you get burned on a seam, practice for it.
Lesser teams played UGA better this year.

Pharm Frog

Dykes is just doing what dykes does. Dykes is 2-4 in bowl games, with 3 embarrassing losses.

10-51 2017 Frisco Bowl
28-52 2019 Boca Raton Bowl
7-65 2023 Embarrassment Bowl
I relent. I will agree with you that GP would have had his defense prepared to defend the Air Force triple option in the Armed Forces Bowl much better than Sonny had the team prepared for UGA in the CFP final. Because that’s the most likely comparison.

PurpleBlood87

I never want to hear someone say momentum isn't real in football. If Avila doesn't false start to start the game, we don't go 3 and out and Georgia never gets going
Still had a chance to start fast but pre-2022 Max shows up and overthrows a wide open Williams.

Same thing happened when Johnston was wide open. But that time the free safety made an easy interception.

PurpleBlood87

I know this is s simplistic comment but this is a game where the Frogs could have used Zach Evans.

Sheesh, Georgia's four-string back Robinson was better than any of our back up RBs.