• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Gary Patterson exit is not amicable as fans should fear TCU without their GP

froginmn

I'm not a donor or season ticket holder.
Never have been.
I however am a graduate.
That being said, it's hard to blame a man who stays true to himself to the very end.
His drive and personality were the reasons for his success and his followers embraced him.
Now those same traits are being vilified to some degree.
Loyalty to a fault is acceptable in my book.
Reminds me a bit of my old man.
That same loyalty is likely what kept him at TCU long enough to go to three BCS/NY6 games. A less loyal guy would have chased bigger jobs.

Wexahu

Some people want to see the result of a huge gift they're giving. What's so weird about that?
Maybe I don't know the story well enough. You mean they donated $5M-10 or whatever it was for the statue?

I thought they donated money and made it a stipulation that the statue be put up. Yeah, I think that's kind of odd. Especially when the guy being "honored" is against it.

OmniscienceFrog

I know that. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make it any less weird. I just can't imagine having that kind of request when I'm on my death bed, that a statue be put up of a football coach before I go.
What's so weird about consenting to one of the end of life wishes of someone that has given the school and football program a lot of money?

What's always been weird to me is naming the field after one guy, but making the name on it sound like it's two people.

Wexahu

What's so weird about consenting to one of the end of life wishes of someone that has given the school and football program a lot of money.

What's always been weird to me is naming the field after one guy, but making the name on it sound like it's two people.
I'm not saying it's weird what TCU did, I'm saying the end of life wish from the donor was weird. And it was especially weird in light of the fact that GP was against it.

HFrog1999

I know that. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make it any less weird. I just can't imagine having that kind of request when I'm on my death bed, that a statue be put up of a football coach before I go.

Rich people are weird

Because they can afford to be

cute-exo-funny-rich-Favim.com-1198840.gif

Virginia Frog

20 seasons without changing head coaches is pretty incredible.

Im also prepared for this to either go the route of OU - replace a legend with a bright young coaching mind (to a lesser scale) OR the route of Florida and Texas. Fumble it around a few times after replacing a legend (Mack & Urban) again, to a lesser scale.
And given the current 4-4 record of 2021 (and a "should've been" L to lowly TCU to be 3-5!) Texas STILL may be in the coaching wilderness to date (hopefully a losing record this season!) How many YEARS has it been since they paid adieu to Mack?

Last edited:

Westsider

So Gary told you personally that Sonny Dykes told him that TCU reps called him to gauge his interest in the TCU job? How often do you and Gary chat?

In Fly's defense (and I don't know him), I wouldn't doubt what he says about this situation because he does know GP. Now whether he's talked directly with GP since this happened.... idk.

Virginia Frog

Of this staff he's probably the most qualified for the next few weeks. Tells me that they are ready for a full house cleaning.
I wonder and will probably never know, did GP "suggest" JK for the HC-temporary role. Gettin' his old bud a big fat paycheck for 4 weeks. Pretty good tactic on GP's part then! (Can JK go 4-0? I'm dreaming sports fans.)

traderfrog

I've seen some talk about how strange it was to fire Gary after 20+ years, and others say he deserved to go with a losing 4-year record. So I ran the numbers to find out: how many head coaches with a losing record over the past 4 years are still around, and haven't been fired?

For the Power Five teams, there are 22 teams that have a losing 4-year record. Of that, only 4 of 22 still have that head coach from over 4 years ago.

Teams that kept their coach: Syracuse, Duke, Rutgers, Cal

Teams that fired their coach: Ole Miss, North Carolina, Tennessee, Colorado, Purdue, Texas Tech, Maryland, Louisville, Florida St, South Carolina, UCLA, Nebraska, Oregon S, Illinois, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Kansas.

I'm not necessarily saying Gary should have been fired or not, but just looking at that list I'd say it is very common to fire a coach with the recent record that he had. Again, Gary has a much more decorated past than any of the coaches above. But still, generally speaking, at that win percentage in recent years most coaches do get let go.

Fiscuits

That same loyalty is likely what kept him at TCU long enough to go to three BCS/NY6 games. A less loyal guy would have chased bigger jobs.
He did chase bigger jobs. Three of them...Minnesota, Tennessee and Arkansas. He was actually out the door to Arkansas until they backtracked and hired Bobby Petrino.

He tried to leave three times on record and couldn't...they didn't pick him. Just saying. If you're going to have an argument, base it on facts at least.