• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Gary Patterson exit is not amicable as fans should fear TCU without their GP

Fiscuits

I've seen some talk about how strange it was to fire Gary after 20+ years, and others say he deserved to go with a losing 4-year record. So I ran the numbers to find out: how many head coaches with a losing record over the past 4 years are still around, and haven't been fired?

For the Power Five teams, there are 22 teams that have a losing 4-year record. Of that, only 4 of 22 still have that head coach from over 4 years ago.

Teams that kept their coach: Syracuse, Duke, Rutgers, Cal

Teams that fired their coach: Ole Miss, North Carolina, Tennessee, Colorado, Purdue, Texas Tech, Maryland, Louisville, Florida St, South Carolina, UCLA, Nebraska, Oregon S, Illinois, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Kansas.

I'm not necessarily saying Gary should have been fired or not, but just looking at that list I'd say it is very common to fire a coach with the recent record that he had. Again, Gary has a much more decorated past than any of the coaches above. But still, generally speaking, at that win percentage in recent years most coaches do get let go.
Bingo. Finally....a rational post.

The powerhouses of football that kept that coach with a 4 year losing record. Syracuse, Duke, Rutgers, Cal - stellar company.

If you go back and look at coaches with a losing conference record 5 out of the last 6....? It's an even shorter list.

Gary used up all his TCU GOAT Status three years ago at best....that's what allowed him to stay until it got to this point.

NewFrogFan

I've seen some talk about how strange it was to fire Gary after 20+ years, and others say he deserved to go with a losing 4-year record. So I ran the numbers to find out: how many head coaches with a losing record over the past 4 years are still around, and haven't been fired?

For the Power Five teams, there are 22 teams that have a losing 4-year record. Of that, only 4 of 22 still have that head coach from over 4 years ago.

Teams that fired their coach: Ole Miss, North Carolina, Tennessee, Colorado, Purdue, Texas Tech, Maryland, Louisville, Florida St, South Carolina, UCLA, Nebraska, Oregon S, Illinois, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Kansas.

I'm not necessarily saying Gary should have been fired or not, but just looking at that list I'd say it is very common to fire a coach with the recent record that he had. Again, Gary has a much more decorated past than any of the coaches above. But still, generally speaking, at that win percentage in recent years most coaches do get let go.
Then again how many coaches are gone less than 2 years after a National Championship?

froginmn

He did chase bigger jobs. Three of them...Minnesota, Tennessee and Arkansas. He was actually out the door to Arkansas until they backtracked and hired Bobby Petrino.

He tried to leave three times on record and couldn't...they didn't pick him. Just saying. If you're going to have an argument, base it on facts at least.
He had an offer at MN and I know that because I have deep ties at that school. So I know you're FOS.

Jackson

G.P. would still be at TCU if he wasn’t so unlucky to land recruit Dylan Jordan. It took awhile but the Jordan affair eventually took him down as G.P.’s relationship with TCU’s Admin. & Players forever changed.
The Natl Press unjustifiably attacked Gary for days….but that is what they do today. Now the Press will attack TCU for releasing Gary as a direct result of their “story”.

Fiscuits

He had an offer at MN and I know that because I have deep ties at that school. So I know you're FOS.
Hmmm....I am full of it because you confirmed the Minnesota job (which was public knowledge) and it was published he got turned down for Tennessee and Arkansas. He was actually essentially packing for Arkansas and had to stop. It was public knowledge. But ok Mr. Deep Ties.

And just FYI - he should have gone after other jobs if he wanted. But he did not stay here out of some undying loyalty to TCU.

If you believe that, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Fiscuits

G.P. would still be at TCU if he wasn’t so unlucky to land recruit Dylan Jordan. It took awhile but the Jordan affair eventually took him down as G.P.’s relationship with TCU’s Admin. & Players forever changed.
The Natl Press unjustifiably attacked Gary for days….but that is what they do today. Now the Press will attack TCU for releasing Gary as a direct result of their “story”.
Lol....no he wouldn't. He isn't at TCU because in the Big 12 he lost more than he won. End of story.
And in the last 5 of 6 years in was pretty bad.

All this "deep state" thinking is pretty funny.

froginmn

Hmmm....I am full of it because you confirmed the Minnesota job (which was public knowledge) and it was published he got turned down for Tennessee and Arkansas. He was actually essentially packing for Arkansas and had to stop. It was public knowledge. But ok Mr. Deep Ties.

And just FYI - he should have gone after other jobs if he wanted. But he did not stay here out of some undying loyalty to TCU.

If you believe that, well, I don't know what to tell you.
You said:

He did chase bigger jobs. Three of them...Minnesota, Tennessee and Arkansas.
He tried to leave three times on record and couldn't...they didn't pick him.

I said, yes Minnesota did pick him.

We get it, you hate Gary Patterson. You become a bigger beating with every post.

Fiscuits

You said:

He did chase bigger jobs. Three of them...Minnesota, Tennessee and Arkansas.
He tried to leave three times on record and couldn't...they didn't pick him.

I said, yes Minnesota did pick him.

We get it, you hate Gary Patterson. You become a bigger beating with every post.
I think you messed up your meds. You are now agreeing with me and still insulting me at the same time. Interesting.
Don't hate Gary at all, I think you might be a little infatuated with him. He did good, he's a super nice guy and seems very genuine.

Over the last 5 of 6 years has been a lousy coach. Time to move on. Why is that so hard?

Virginia Frog

On this staff who else would you suggest?
Nobody really. It does seem a little ironic that GP's "boy" would yield the leftover bounty. Just sayin'.

Here's a crazy idea. The JD haters could pull for our distinguished AD as HC. Then after an 0-4 run, there'd be a solid reason to say adios to Mr. Donati. A win-win? Just sayin'.

netty2424

F56B6FDB-BDCD-4243-AF04-CB47B12602FE.gif

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
If today’s national press reaction is a gauge you probably won’t see much. Was at the gym for two hours and barely saw a mention save one crawl on FSN that ran once an hour.

AroundWorldFrog

If today’s national press reaction is a gauge you probably won’t see much. Was at the gym for two hours and barely saw a mention save one crawl on FSN that ran once an hour.
Really the only thing I've seen beyond Muck.

tjcoffice

Lol...life is risk. So what. If the boat isn't rocking, it is not going anywhere.

We are closer to these "bad ol' days" everyone keeps referring to, than we are these "good 'ol days"...which by the way...a majority of the "good 'ol days" happened before we were in the Big 12!

Patterson was great for TCU. His paychecks have all cleared the bank. Time to reset.

Good lord.
No, we are not and have not been. Recruiting in the past 3-4 years have been some of the best classes ever. Sure, the program could and should have been better. But, its far form the panic point. They fired Mack Brown and look what he is doing now. They fired RC Slocum after 1 or 2 bad seasons. Heck, they fired Fred Akers after 1 or bad seasons. Now, TCU is doing the same. Once a school like TCU starts that downward slide of the coaching carousel, it can be heck getitng back to where we were. UT *still* has not reached the level they were at before they fired Mack Brown. Short-sighted moves do not lead to long-term success.
Tom

Limey Frog

Gary's greatest achievement is to have built TCU football back into a program that is not content to be in the same category as Rutgers.