• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Gary Patterson exit is not amicable as fans should fear TCU without their GP

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Gary Patterson exit is not amicable as fans should fear TCU without their GP

Big Steaming Pile, Fort Worth Star-Telegram 2 hrs ago

Nov. 1—FORT WORTH — Gary Patterson's midseason exit from TCU is a result of an administration that was ready to move on to a new voice.

Athletic director Jeremiah Donati had the full support of the school's chancellor, Victor Boschini, to try to convince Patterson to leave the job he's had since 2001.

According to sources, on Sunday Patterson met with senior level administrators at TCU.

If Patterson had any chance of remaining at TCU in 2022 as the head football coach, he was going to have to make some concessions, and changes.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...s-should-fear-tcu-without-their-gp/ar-AAQb5Uo

tjcoffice

No, these aren't the bad old days. The bad old days were getitng beat 42-0 by the Texas A&M's and recruiting, if you're lucky, one one star recruit. TCU has insitutional disadvantages because of our size. Look at what happened when Texas fired Mack Brown. There is a lot of risk in making this change.

flyfishingfrog

If GP was being required to dump Kill, why would Kill take the interim job? Doesn’t add up.
it does when one side of the discussion is feeding the PR machine to make it seem like "they did all they could" - but then miss those little details.

Kind of like the idea they called the meeting with GP, not the other way around (they did move it from Monday to Sunday since GP asked for Monday) or that we haven't been talking behind GP's back to other coaches - because evidently someone also missed the detail where Sonny and GP are really good friends and might actually talk....

Klaw

No, these aren't the bad old days. The bad old days were getitng beat 42-0 by the Texas A&M's and recruiting, if you're lucky, one one star recruit. TCU has insitutional disadvantages because of our size. Look at what happened when Texas fired Mack Brown. There is a lot of risk in making this change.
You are happy with the status quo? The program was going down hill fast.

We all appreciate what GP did for TCU football; but, everything has an expiration, and now, was the time for a change.

If we hire the right coach, it should definitely be better than 4 years but i do believe it will be hard to achieve rose and peach bowl level success.

I am looking for 8-4 annually with a 10-2 or better every 5 years when the stars align

Moose Stuff

Anybody who fears change because of the risk is doomed to fail from the beginning. And I lived through a decent portion of the bad old days. The last two weeks was a horrifying flashback. A&M would beat us worse than 42-0 if we played Saturday FWIW.

Limey Frog

Good story, brutal headline (typical).

Fair. No doubt the online editor chooses the headline, not the writer, as is typical.

Fine basic summary of GP's achievements and, I assume, a very well-informed summary of the meeting. I'm very glad that the message was eventually received by higher-ups that staffing changes were non-negotiable for the program's long-term health. That has been clear for a very long time, not just four years. That GP responded with rigid defiance will surprise no one who watches this program. Who on this board honestly expected him to replace anyone at the end of this season? That's not his MO. Stability helped TCU football for a GP's first decade and has hampered it during his second.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

If GP was being required to dump Kill, why would Kill take the interim job? Doesn’t add up.
Why wouldn’t he take it? He was basically asked to blow up the whole staff. Somebody has to be in charge the last 4 weeks and Kill is the most logical of that group considering his history as a HC.

If it’s accurate that admin though we could get by with a change in offensive personnel, I have very little hope for the near future.

I assume that was just the start. Lead in with offensive changes to soften him up and then go to the throat with defensive changes that needed to be made. Gary knew. His pride got the best of him. Happens to all of us. I fully believe they gave him the opportunity to revamp the staff and he couldn't do it. I applaud his loyalty. I jeer his stubbornness. At some point you have to be flexible.

2themax

I'm not a donor or season ticket holder.
Never have been.
I however am a graduate.
That being said, it's hard to blame a man who stays true to himself to the very end.
His drive and personality were the reasons for his success and his followers embraced him.
Now those same traits are being vilified to some degree.
Loyalty to a fault is acceptable in my book.
Reminds me a bit of my old man.