• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Gary Patterson exit is not amicable as fans should fear TCU without their GP

4 Oaks Frog

If one of the stipulations was getting rid of Jerry Kills, why was Kills named interim HC? There is some bull crap somewhere.

GO FROGS!!

Fiscuits

If one of the stipulations was getting rid of Jerry Kills, why was Kills named interim HC? There is some bull crap somewhere.

GO FROGS!!
Because Gary left...Kills is only one with any HC experience and stayed. If Kills would have declined the interim role...they could have made a Showgirl the Interim HC. It doesn't matter. This season is now 100% over.

All of our remaining coaches are on the phone looking for new jobs this morning and doing nothing extra for TCU. They are essentially no longer employed.

Kills will provide a nice buffer for the remainder of the season. A lot of vitriol will come down over the next four games because we are going to get annihilated by everyone from this point on.

The new guy that comes in will not face the same amount of scrutiny/ anger because Kill and what's left will have taken the brunt of it.

In five weeks - this will be old, old news.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Although something had to change, it’s still sad it had to come to this. TCU was just a mere 4 or 5 years prior to GP that we won 1 only one game and a big crowd might be 28,000. The stark contrast in what TCU’s campus, athletic facilities and reputation from the time GP took over to now is staggering. Though not good by any stretch, those who say we are back in bad old days either weren’t around or have short memories. True, things have been trending backward, but let’s remember we were headed to a bowl as recent as last year, had it not been for Covid.

In any event, a change needed to happen and apparently the same loyalty that kept GP at TCU, also kept him from making needed staff changes. It is sad to see it come down this, but something had to change. GP is still owed a huge debt of thanks for taking us from the absolute bottom of the football world heights not seen since the 1930s. I hope some of the vitriol can put away and GP can be given his due in the history of our school. I know he gave me some happiness I never thought I’d witness after watching a coach die in front of me in Waco and being a part a program that had a dark cloud over it for decades - to rising to the lofty heights ofa Rose Bowl and top 5 rankings and getting screwed out of the first CFP.

GP, you did alright for an assistant coach that became our school’s most successful head coach. Wish only good things for him and hope he understands it’s business and remains a friend of the school.

As Bum Phillips said, there are only two kinds of coaches, those that have been fired and those that will be…

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Wow, excellent retort.

He shouldn't have had a statue before the end of his tenure in the first place. The fact that he was encouraged to stick around, offered another job on the pay role, and chose to take his ball and go him automatically disqualifies him from having a statute of himself on campus.

Totally an asinine assertion. GP is TCU’s winningest coach, with more bowl appearances than TCU coach and was responsible for much of the new construction on campus. The statue was never his idea and publicly said he didn’t want it. But now that he’s gone, it couldn’t be more worthy.

denverbear

GP did a fantastic job at TCU - like Teaff at Baylor BITD.

Hats off - there were some great games w/ BU in recent years and just some great seasons overall for TCU.

Will miss the guy actually.

Big shoes to fill - but I guess it was time.

Good luck on the new hire.

Good location and facilities and a great recruiting area should attract many qualified candidates.

- DB

geefrogs

20 seasons without changing head coaches is pretty incredible.

Im also prepared for this to either go the route of OU - replace a legend with a bright young coaching mind (to a lesser scale) OR the route of Florida and Texas. Fumble it around a few times after replacing a legend (Mack & Urban) again, to a lesser scale.

Limey Frog

Wow, excellent retort.

He shouldn't have had a statue before the end of his tenure in the first place. The fact that he was encouraged to stick around, offered another job on the pay role, and chose to take his ball and go him automatically disqualifies him from having a statute of himself on campus.
I agree that you shouldn't raise statues to people who are still in the position for which you are memorializing them, and I might go so far as to say that you shouldn't do so while they're still alive. But I also understand why it was done at TCU in this case.

If anyone is going to take the GP statue down please let me know when so that I can show up to fight them.

OmniscienceFrog

it does when one side of the discussion is feeding the PR machine to make it seem like "they did all they could" - but then miss those little details.

Kind of like the idea they called the meeting with GP, not the other way around (they did move it from Monday to Sunday since GP asked for Monday) or that we haven't been talking behind GP's back to other coaches - because evidently someone also missed the detail where Sonny and GP are really good friends and might actually talk....
So Gary told you personally that Sonny Dykes told him that TCU reps called him to gauge his interest in the TCU job? How often do you and Gary chat?

OmniscienceFrog

Wow, excellent retort.

Do you think he cares whether that statue stays or not? Right now I'll bet he wants it gone himself, but hopefully with a passage of time he will change his mind about it. He deserves having it there.

All you people whining about that statue are apparently ignorant of the facts about it.

OmniscienceFrog

Some of yall are like 5 year olds, telling me to grow up and shut up because you can't take any criticism. I know the donor paid for it, you're not telling me anything I don't know. Patterson, the admin, someone along the way should have said this is a great idea, and will get done but this needs to wait til the end of his tenure.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, the timing was a joke.
Then you don't really know the story then, so yeah, shut up.