• The KillerFrogs

FWST: A day after being let go, Gary Patterson shows up to work for TCU football

bronco

god forbid we dont try our hardest to keep a generational talent.. Oh I forgot we are tcu and everyone wants to come and play here. News flash its time to wake up... the last 4 years has proved we cant find too many good players to WIN. Our offensive and defensive line have been horrid and they continue to get worse and worse. Max goes out there every week and gets killed. KEEPING him will make this job more attractive because there will be some talent on the team.
I enjoyed the comment about Zach leaving would be addition by subtraction. Yeah we can just let a 5 star go and replace him with a guy walking down the street. I don't think so.

Retired Frog

Good grief - all you ol' timer Frogs through "hate" around so much I almost feel sorry for you. It's not hate. It is simply business protocol.
Bottom line is - he quit. That's it. So....he can't just come and go as he pleases (imo). It is a terrible idea not to have a super clean break. No matter how long he has been here and no matter how everyone personally feels about him. At some point you HAVE to deny access and that should have happened on Sunday.

Is he a legend? Yes.

Do I like Gary? Of course! He lives two blocks from me and I see him all the time. Saw him last night getting into his car with Kelsey while on a walk from my house and yelled "HEY!" to him. He waved back and smiled. They were going out.

Do I think TCU made the right decision? 1000% yes...it was beyond time.

Do I think him "hanging around" is a good idea? Hell no. It is a terrible idea.

TCU and Gary need to be in cahoots again for sure...but in about 2-3 years maybe. Everything needs to calm down and get back to the business at hand....playing football and running and athletic department. Not a circus.
Exactly. Everything to you is business. 100%

For my perspective what did you play at TCU?what years? Me - Basketball early 70s

Your probably excellent at Business mergers acquisitions or a great Hedge Fund Manager
Where it’s all 100% business

Doubt you have ever seen the inside of a locker room before it’s been cleaned. It’s not 100% business in there

Wexahu

I enjoyed the comment about Zach leaving would be addition by subtraction. Yeah we can just let a 5 star go and replace him with a guy walking down the street. I don't think so.
We've become Texas.

We won't need to replace him with the guy down the street, but we can replace him and do just fine. This is the worst team we've had in about 20 years, and Zach Evans is part of it. Probably the biggest contribution from a 5-star kid in this programs history, and it's one of the worst teams, if the the worst, we've had since the 90's. We don't need more 5-star kids, we need more kids that want to be at TCU and are here to play football and win. And if they are highly rated kids with a lot of talent, all the better.

Fiscuits

For my perspective what did you play at TCU?what years? Me - Basketball early 70s

Your probably excellent at Business mergers acquisitions or a great Hedge Fund Manager

Doubt you have ever seen the inside of a locker room before it’s been cleaned. It’s not 100% business in there
Retired...You communicate in a lot of absolutes. "Everything" is not business to me. But "business" is business to me.
When you pay a guy $6 million to coach a kids game, and he quits....then that guy forfeits his access.

If he wanted to continue providing his imprint he should have stayed the last four games and rode it out.

He didn't , so he has to go. It is not personal against Gary. Gary has nothing to do with it. It applies to anyone on staff. You quit, you're gone.

And as for "being in a locker room" - was in and at every TCU Football practice, game, locker room, everyday...from 1990 until 1995...so yeah, I have seen how "things" work.

westoverhillbilly

I couldn't agree more.. I, too, worked in a couple of soul-less corporations until about 35 years ago where grabbing your personalty and leaving was protocol when someone quit or was terminated and this I guess is where some of our posters are totally adult life-long products of this culture and that it transcends to everywhere.. Thankfully it isn't working that way here..

Gary will likely prove to be a tremendous ambassador for TCU in the future in an ex officio role.. May very well even become a trustee.. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a great TV gig and becomes a beloved and more famous figure.. Having him around may prove to be a huge advantage over the next couple of decades. Darrell Royal played this role adeptly at UT after being forced out when he was 9 years younger than Gary- his replacement's (Akers) teams played in the NC game twice over the next 7 years (losing in '77 to Notre Dame and '83 to Georgia) and improved considerably after Royal had 6 so-so years.

Fiscuits

We've become Texas.

We won't need to replace him with the guy down the street, but we can replace him and do just fine. This is the worst team we've had in about 20 years, and Zach Evans is part of it. Probably the biggest contribution from a 5-star kid in this programs history, and it's one of the worst teams, if the the worst, we've had since the 90's. We don't need more 5-star kids, we need more kids that want to be at TCU and are here to play football and win. And if they are highly rated kids with a lot of talent, all the better.
My bet is- with Gary gone , we're about to see the real Zach Evans next season. Hell, maybe this season. No coach is not going to give that kid the ball less than 25 times a game. Bank on it.

mc1502

Is it so hard for people to understand this. GP built this program from the ground up. As so many point out, he selected his friends as his coaches. He has done nothing but live this team for 20 years. Is it so hard to believe that he feels a sense of loyalty to his former employees/coaches? It may not be normal, but it certainly shows class. I was on the side of needing a change in the program, but I absolutely love him for this.

Last edited:

SwissArmyFrog

Me as well....at any other job when you essentially quit - not only do you not show up the next day...you can't. Everything in Gary's office, TCU's athletic facilities, etc...is TCU's...not Gary's. An inventory should be taken and he given his personal effects. That's it. It's a bummer deal, but that's the way it goes.

It is not normal behavior from Gary or our Athletic Department.

But in this case, it is certainly proper and gracious behavior.

Wexahu

You don't think he will be here? Or that he will get that many carries
I don't think he'll be here, and if he's here, I don't think he'll get that many carries. Have you been paying attention to what is going on? I don't think he'll accept that many carries, wherever he goes.

And I think there's an outside chance he doesn't play anywhere next year.

Fiscuits

I don't think he'll be here, and if he's here, I don't think he'll get that many carries. Have you been paying attention to what is going on? I don't think he'll accept that many carries, wherever he goes.

And I think there's an outside chance he doesn't play anywhere next year.
? I have been paying attention , but are you claiming to have some kind of inside, first hand knowledge? I know all about the rumors he has handlers that limit his carries, etc….

Just don’t know I believe that.

FROG2597

I’m just trying to apply it to any other job. I mean picture the office where you work (assuming you work in an office)….. Someone quits on the spot and storms out today after being told they are being let go at the end of the year but then they show back up to work tomorrow to hang out for a little bit. That’s not even remotely normal.

Pretty sure George Costanza did that once.

Wexahu

? I have been paying attention , but are you claiming to have some kind of inside, first hand knowledge? I know all about the rumors he has handlers that limit his carries, etc….

Just don’t know I believe that.
There are people on this board (who I trust, although I've never met them) that are much more on the inside than me that have confirmed that it is true. Don't know what the terms of the arrangement are but safe to say he isn't getting the ball 25 times per game.

Mean Purple

I remember getting done with a lift session for football and watching our school's basketball team practice. Actually, the part where they attacked the bleachers. I just thought, "holy ----, those guys run a lot"