• The KillerFrogs

Fire Gary

Everyone agrees Gary has done amazing things. He should be celebrated and remembered as a legendary TCU Football Coach and Ambassador for TCU. While he may have won 7 of last 9 his program has grown stale and the game has passed him by. One can make the argument that TCU has gotten a little worse each of the last few years and the rest of this season looks dicey at best. It's time for a change, is it a risk? Yes, but it's a risk worth taking as continuing down the current path most certainly leads to further slow decline of the program. Whatever magic Gary had is gone and yes he did have magic. Now though he and the team look checked out and his staff is filled with old buddies/players/yes men. It's time to usher in something new.

Endless Purple

The earlier post about assistants is the only one with merit from the fire GP crowd.

Hire the SMU Offensive Line coach and I think we get more improvements.

We are only 3 games into the Meachum as primary OC again. Apparently GP can make changes (though slow in coming). Our offense is looking better.

Our defense was looking pretty good and looked to have a good year coming. One bad game and fire the head coach. People here need a time out.

Cal had a decent run game and we did not adjust before this game so SMU took advantage. Cal was only 5 of 13 on 3rd down so that was not an issue before this week.

I expect more changes before next weekend. If I was the coach, I would quit just because of the whiny fans. This board has become worse than many others in this category. Grow up.

Pharm Frog

The earlier post about assistants is the only one with merit from the fire GP crowd.

We are only 3 games into the Meachum as primary OC again. Apparently GP can make changes (though slow in coming). Our offense is looking better.

Our defense was looking pretty good and looked to have a good year coming. One bad game and fire the head coach. People here need a time out.

Cal had a decent run game and we did not adjust before this game so SMU took advantage. Cal was only 5 of 13 on 3rd down so that was not an issue before this week.

I expect more changes before next weekend. If I was the coach, I would quit just because of the whiny fans. This board has become worse than many others in this category. Grow up.

name checks out

Eight

curious, remove the 54 minute game and when was the defense looking good this year?

Rabidfrog

I was on the defensive practicefield with Gary for 4 years... I thought he was a good teacher then, especially in walk throughs. He knew his stuff. We'd go over every formation, situation, possibility.

It seemed like we over-prepared for every game. We'd go over the same stuff over and over. Before we played Air Force in 2009 we had a quick impromptu practice on Friday before getting on the plane because he didn't think we were ready.

At least when I was there, preparation wasn't the issue. I don't doubt the coaching staff still meticulously prepares. But, to be honest, I think we could afford to over prepare against teams that we played in the MWC, who didn't really have explosive offenses or a lot of athletic ability. In today's game, where the rules and game itself favors the offense more and more and more, perhaps being too prepared makes the defense a bit too hesitant. Remember, Alex Ibiolye was out of place on the Wisconsin 2 point conversion.

Simplification could be an answer, but it doesn't explain the piss poor defensive line play today.
don't u think that penetrating that line of scrimmage is the first goal of a D lineman?

Rabidfrog

We have to honestly give some credit to SMU. It pains me to say this more than you would ever know but lets maybe assume SMU is pretty good and we just got our butts kicked. Arkansas was down to RICE in the 1st half. The fans were calling for mass firings during the game. Now look where they are. I am frustrated by the poor play like all of you but lets take a few before we over react. I know this isn't popular in the moment and Texas is looming with TCU having low expectations but I will judge him after the season.
like pickett said after gettysburg: the yankee army may have had something to do with it.

Are you sure that you watched this year‘s Cal game and didn’t accidentally rewatch the Cheez It Bowl on your DVR?

Eight

Are you sure that you watched this year‘s Cal game and didn’t accidentally rewatch the Cheez It Bowl on your DVR?

frogs had 3 good consecutive defensive series (wrapped around i short series before half) in the 2nd and 3rd quarters against cal.

then cal adjusted and had two long drives in their last 3 offensive possessions to get the game to a 2 point game and in those two drives they hit the frogs defense for big plays on the ground and throwing the ball

Last edited:

steelfrog

Tier 1
Sonny Dykes has a lot of respect for Gary, that has to count for something:

"I think our guys tried to plant the flag at the middle of the field," Dykes said. "If they did, they shouldn't have. I'll talk to them about that. There's nobody in the world that has more respect for TCU or for [coach] Gary Patterson ... than I do. I apologize for that."

Endless Purple

curious, remove the 54 minute game and when was the defense looking good this year?
So you judge his entire future on 2 games, and you remove any positive notes first. I would hate to have you as a boss.

Look back over the last 6 of last year and we are not seeing a disturbing trend. The Cal game was not great considering it was the first game (you said we have to remove the 54 minutes), but was not bad. There were several good plays and some good 3rd down stops. Their rushing yards were too high, but that is something that then needs to be addressed (it was not - so on one note we fire the coach...).

I guess if our defense is not in the top 10 eery year, we just get a new coach every year and pretend to be UT. How's tht working out for them.

Eight

So you judge his entire future on 2 games, and you remove any positive notes first. I would hate to have you as a boss.

Look back over the last 6 of last year and we are not seeing a disturbing trend. The Cal game was not great considering it was the first game (you said we have to remove the 54 minutes), but was not bad. There were several good plays and some good 3rd down stops. Their rushing yards were too high, but that is something that then needs to be addressed (it was not - so on one note we fire the coach...).

I guess if our defense is not in the top 10 eery year, we just get a new coach every year and pretend to be UT. How's tht working out for them.

wait a minute. you said the defense was good, i asked outside of the first game and you now move the goal posts

you want a trend from last year, frogs struggled against the run against better teams and gave up the highest ypc since they have joined the big 12

they physically got whipped in the los against wvu and that was the only physical offense they faced in those last 6 games, but we saw it early as well against iowa state, texas, kstate, and ou.

i haven't called for gary to be fired, what my constant has been i don't expect changes to be made on one side of the ball as they have on the other and that is the defensive side.

i have pointed out that multiple times gary's defense has given up 300+ yards on the ground that last 4 seasons and that maybe the game with the emergence of the rpo and teams not playing the chains are causing problems, but go ahead and spin another response to something i didn't say

Last edited:

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
So...just disregard 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021...? I mean we won two National Titles in the '30's so we really should just be happy with that as well I guess..
21 ? 20 was COVID year and a winning season. You making stuff up again. 7-2 in last 9

Fiscuits

Judge the future on the entire sample size of being in the Big 12 since day one. It's terrible. Then judge it over the last five years. Then over the last 3....what happened last season has nothing to do with this one. He was 5-4 in the Big 12 last year. That sucks.

To put this in another light...say you were in sales. And were National Salesman of the year in 2014 & 2015....but your sales fell way off since then. You had one decent year in 2017, but no where near 2015...then you had been middle to bottom of the pack since then.
Think you are keeping your job?

Pharm Frog

Judge the future on the entire sample size of being in the Big 12 since day one. It's terrible. Then judge it over the last five years. Then over the last 3....what happened last season has nothing to do with this one. He was 5-4 in the Big 12 last year. That sucks.

To put this in another light...say you were in sales. And were National Salesman of the year in 2014 & 2015....but your sales fell way off since then. You had one decent year in 2017, but no where near 2015...then you had been middle to bottom of the pack since then.
Think you are keeping your job?
No. They’ll probably promote you to management.