• The KillerFrogs

Fire Gary

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
I want to win. Big 12 championship game in 2017 = 7 years ? If you expect TCU to win the conference every year you are in fantasy land. Can we all agree that the answer is Art Briles or at least tape fingers ?

Mean Purple

I want to win. Big 12 championship game in 2017 = 7 years ? If you expect TCU to win the conference every year you are in fantasy land. Can we all agree that the answer is Art Briles or at least tape fingers ?
We would at least like to be in the running to play for the title every other year at least. We have not been in the running in the last 4 years.

Mean Purple

The time to reach down deep would've been halftime of the SMU game when the DL was getting manhandled. Then they came out in the 2nd half and played just as bad on defense and even worse on offense and special teams.

You don't have to call for anyone to be fired. It's a weird phenomenon in our world where so many people are so fast to want everyone else to be fired from their jobs all the time. It's not something I'm a fan of. At the same time, sports should be the ultimate meritocracy and whether you want someone to lose their job or not then at the very least have a realistic discussion about what this program has been over the last 10 years and which parts seem to be improving, which parts are staying static, and which parts seem to be getting worse.

I said after the game Saturday that this is the type of performance that results in coaches being fired at just about any big time football program and I stand by that. That's not me calling for anyone to be fired, that's simply the reality of the business. You don't have to like that it's a business but when coaches are making millions and assistants are getting high 6 figures then I'm not sure what else you call that.
This. Always frustrating that in game adjustments don't seem to exist with this program. Patterson over complicates it and rarely realizes he needs to shore it up.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
not apples and oranges. Same thing. A bunch of front running wankers think they are geniuses.
I give you good, thoughtful, respectful arguments, and get called a "front running wanker" for my troubles? Screw you, Dutch. You're wrong, and you know you're wrong. The only reason you lash out like an angry toddler is that you know you don't have a damned argument but you cling to what you know in fear of the great unknown. That's where I was last year...

Fiscuits

We would at least like to be in the running to play for the title every other year at least. We have not been in the running in the last 4 years.
At TCU....a reasonable expectation would be every 2-3 years, be in the mix for the title. Every year is not realistic for almost anyone. We haven't "truly" been in the mix since 2015. Gary's past success is the only reason to explain what had gotten him this far...but that credit in his account has reached a zero balance.

CountryFrog

Overall Big 12 Record
2012 4-5
2013 2-7
2014 8-1
2015 7-2
2016 4-5
2017 7-2
2018 4-5
2019 3-6
2020 5-4
9 seasons
5 losing
4 Winning
1 Championship
That pretty much sums it up. No one has forgotten any of the success that TCU has had since 2000 nor the many failures in the decades prior. The last 10 years is not a small sample size and nothing is being based on one bad game or a couple bad seasons. We've had 3 really good seasons and 6 bad to mediocre seasons. 2021 certainly appears headed toward the bad/mediocre column. That's 3 good years out of 10. I guess all of us get to decide for ourselves if 30% is a good rate for winning football.

And for the record I do NOT want Patterson gone. My preferred path would be to keep him as HC but tell him he needs to completely turn over his defense to a new DC who gets to hire his own staff and have complete control of that side of the ball. That doesn't seem like a realistic possibility, though.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
At TCU....a reasonable expectation would be every 2-3 years, be in the mix for the title. Every year is not realistic for almost anyone. We haven't "truly" been in the mix since 2015. Gary's past success is the only reason to explain what had gotten him this far...but that credit in his account has reached a zero balance.
Well, we did sort of back into the Championship Game in '17, and promptly got our asses handed to us.

Fiscuits

Dutch - No reasonable person expects us to win the conference every year. I don't. For TCU - every 2-3 years to be "in the mix" is realistic. However, we should NEVER have a losing conference record in the Big 12. Ever. Two of the last three seasons are under .500. 2019 we scraped by to get 3 wins. In 2017 - yes we were in the conference title game...however...if you recall that season....every team in the Big 12 not named OU was freaking terrible. Baylor coming off of Briles, Texas in the Strong mess, Iowa State wasn't Iowa State then and we still LOST to them in Aimes!... Kansas and Kansas State, well....were Kansas and Kansas State.

Overall Big 12 Record
2012 4-5
2013 2-7
2014 8-1
2015 7-2
2016 4-5
2017 7-2
2018 4-5
2019 3-6
2020 5-4
9 seasons
5 losing
4 Winning
1 Championship

Fiscuits

This. Always frustrating that in game adjustments don't seem to exist with this program. Patterson over complicates it and rarely realizes he needs to shore it up.
Great point...why do you think we always play better the last half of the season but always struggle the first 5-6 games? Could it be his defense is so freaking complicated that it takes that long to try and figure it out?

Wouldn't it make sense to simplify it some and let the playmakers, just be playmakers? Even in 2014 and 2015 (with arguably the two greatest teams in TCU history) it took a while to get rolling. We sure have lost a lot of game with this "defensive guru" while at the same time scoring on offense over 30 ppg.......

Pharm Frog

Got to hand it to y'all who are trying to convince Dutch. Ain't gonna happen. Whether TCU is .500, .300, .100 Dutch is gonna back his boy because he's done it before and so can do it again.

Pharm Frog

Great point...why do you think we always play better the last half of the season but always struggle the first 5-6 games? Could it be his defense is so freaking complicated that it takes that long to try and figure it out?

Wouldn't it make sense to simplify it some and let the playmakers, just be playmakers? Even in 2014 and 2015 (with arguably the two greatest teams in TCU history) it took a while to get rolling. We sure have lost a lot of game with this "defensive guru" while at the same time scoring on offense over 30 ppg.......

It could also be who we play in the back half of the season. I looked it up last year and it wasn't as clear cut an issue that the Frogs progressed.

Fiscuits

Got to hand it to y'all who are trying to convince Dutch. Ain't gonna happen. Whether TCU is .500, .300, .100 Dutch is gonna back his boy because he's done it before and so can do it again.
Have no issue with that...everyone has their opinions. In the end we're all wanting TCU to do better.

Mean Purple

Pharm pointed out that sometimes it has been who we were playing on the back end of the season, as opposed to earlier, but I think it goes beyond that. It takes his defense a while to get going, especially when there are some younger players. GP even said that in the post game on Saturday that the past three years it has taken them a while to catch on. Maybe he should be running a less complicated scheme on the front end?
Seems like most teams "make the biggest improvement from week 1 to week 2" , then TCU goes the other way.

tcufootballjh98

I know its early but some guys on defense looked like they've regressed. Hopefully they can prove me wrong, but the lack of player development ultimately falls on the coaching staff.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Dutch - No reasonable person expects us to win the conference every year. I don't. For TCU - every 2-3 years to be "in the mix" is realistic. However, we should NEVER have a losing conference record in the Big 12. Ever. Two of the last three seasons are under .500. 2019 we scraped by to get 3 wins. In 2017 - yes we were in the conference title game...however...if you recall that season....every team in the Big 12 not named OU was freaking terrible. Baylor coming off of Briles, Texas in the Strong mess, Iowa State wasn't Iowa State then and we still LOST to them in Aimes!... Kansas and Kansas State, well....were Kansas and Kansas State.

Overall Big 12 Record
2012 4-5
2013 2-7
2014 8-1
2015 7-2
2016 4-5
2017 7-2
2018 4-5
2019 3-6
2020 5-4
9 seasons
5 losing
4 Winning
1 Championship
44-37, 3 great seasons, 2 bad seasons, 4 competitive seasons.