• The KillerFrogs

Fire Gary

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Hate to break this to you - but Gary is no longer a winning coach. And hasn't been for a while. Our record is the only stat that matters. We have lost more than won in the Big 12 and barely broke even 5 of 6 years.

We can't and will never fill a 40k+ seat stadium. Reasoning - we are a small school. We have never filled our stadium. It's like asking Southlake Carol - the best High School program with largest most passionate following in the country - to fill Cowboys Stadium every weekend. It's a ridiculous unobtainable argument.

And if we are being honest...Franchione started the program rebuild, not Gary. Gary DID take what Franchione left and built on it. There is no doubt about it. He helped TCU's brand name and help the University brand...of which TCU has provided him generational wealth for.
TCU does not "owe" Gary anything.

And as far as a "non flagship University" - I hate to break it to you - but TCU is one of the MOST popular Universities in America. Despite it's ridiculous cost of tuition...or in this case mediocre football team.

I am being very careful in the analysis looking at the only thing that is not effected by emotion, numbers. He should have been asked to retire by now.

Brown and Slocum were "asked to retire" for the same exact reasons that Gary's time is over and it could be argued they both built the brands as much or more than Gary (Mack won a freaking national title for crying out loud by was asked to go). Those schools know what we haven't learned. The coach is never bigger than the program. So when they started to slip...they were gone. And when their replacements slipped, they were gone.

Gary has been slipping for years. It's a results oriented business and his results are mediocre in the Big 12...at best.
Fran never was successful without GP.

Pharm Frog

Give him a break. Dutch is a GP defender and will always be a GP defender. And I understand it to an extent. There’s no season record of performance or sequences of seasons that will cause Dutch to prioritize the future over the past. It’s a very common worldview. Not one I subscribe to but still very common…and I get it. Especially for those who have been subjected to the trauma that was TCU football before the turn of the century.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Texas thought that about Mack Brown. Last year he was in the Orange Bowl. Texas had 8 years of a lot worse off.
Has lost the respect and confidence of his players? Did you attend a team meeting or did you just pull that one out of you butt. Lighten up Francis.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Give him a break. Dutch is a GP defender and will always be a GP defender. And I understand it to an extent. There’s no season record of performance or sequences of seasons that will cause Dutch to prioritize the future over the past. It’s a very common worldview. Not one I subscribe to but still very common…and I get it. Especially for those who have been subjected to the trauma that was TCU football before the turn of the century.
I am confident about the future Chicken Little.

Eight

Oh coaches are not teachers. Except Saban is; student and teacher:

200.gif

Fiscuits

Get it, problem is the TCU fan base is full of Dutch's (nothing meant personally). Guys (of which I am one) who remember the sting of 0-10 seasons or constant humiliation at the hands of the Aggies and Horns. Back before cable TV and the internet. It was that long ago. So long ago that Gary was probably still in high school when TCU was in that shape. Only encouraging Dutch to look at "the now" versus ancient, ancient history.

Prime BEEF

Texas thought that about Mack Brown. Last year he was in the Orange Bowl. Texas had 8 years of a lot worse off.
Not a fair comparison. Mack Brown was fired 4years after winning the conference and 8yrs after winning the national title.

GP’s last conference title was 2014 and has never won the national title. If you count the rose bowl undefeated year as a “national title”, that was 11 seasons ago. And the conference title was 7 seasons ago. TCU has given GP 3 extra seasons then Mack got.

Also, Mack went 7-2 in the big 12 and finished tied for 2nd in the conference the year he got fired. GP is nowhere near that level right now.

LisaLT

When is Gary's contract up? I am asking because if it is before or around the time UT and OU leave the conference, I could see retirement coming at that time, but probably not before.

The SMU loss was pitiful, but it will feel even worse losing to the horns (if that happens) as we have enjoyed a winning record against them - even during crappy seasons. Time to move on from the SMU loss and hope that the team never wants to see anyone running to plant a flag on their turf again. That act alone would fire me up as a player.

Conference play starts this weekend, and hopefully Gary and Co will get this ship righted. (fingers crossed).

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Not a fair comparison. Mack Brown was fired 4years after winning the conference and 8yrs after winning the national title.

GP’s last conference title was 2014 and has never won the title. If you count the rose bowl undefeated year as a “title”, that was 11 seasons ago. And the conference title was 7 seasons ago. TCU has given GP 3 extra seasons then Mack got.

Also, Mack went 7-2 in the big 12 and finished tied for 2nd in the conference the year he got fired. GP is nowhere near that level right now.
Only 1 conf champ in the Big 12 since 2014

Pharm Frog

When is Gary's contract up? I am asking because if it is before or around the time UT and OU leave the conference, I could see retirement coming at that time, but probably not before.

The SMU loss was pitiful, but it will feel even worse losing to the horns (if that happens) as we have enjoyed a winning record against them - even during crappy seasons. Time to move on from the SMU loss and hope that the team never wants to see anyone running to plant a flag on their turf again. That act alone would fire me up as a player.

Conference play starts this weekend, and hopefully Gary and Co will get this ship righted. (fingers crossed).

Is it 2025?