• The KillerFrogs

Fire Gary

HG73

Give smu some credit, they are well coached and light years ahead of where they were talent wise. They are no pushover especially when this game is their super bowl. We had a costly turnover at the beginning of the second half and that was the difference in the game.

Rather than starting every game behind we should consider taking the ball to start the game.

geefrogs

How do you fire a legend?

You'd hope he would ride out on a blaze of glory but, that aint happening and now the program is in danger of slipping into anonymity.

Im sure he's aware and hopefully he and the AD are having those conversations about a coach-in-waiting and creating the transition sooner than later.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Texas thought that about Mack Brown. Last year he was in the Orange Bowl. Texas had 8 years of a lot worse off.
Apples and Oranges. The UT situation is a dumpster fire at best, with any coach in a goldfish bowl due to the Longhorn Network, and DeLoss (or whoever) breathing down their necks along with a double dozen bigfoot alumni. The TCU job is a cakewalk in comparison.

GMFP has done this to himself. He has staffed his program with people he knows, and evidently does not care about results. He is loyal to his friends, which is a virtue in all other areas save sports. He refuses to clear out deadwood, and re-hired people who should have been kept far from Fort Worth. He bridles at criticism, however well-meaning. It is unquestioned that he is brilliant in his area of expertise, but the job of Head Coach has little to do with the implementation of the 4-2-5 and the proper instruction thereof, but in managing the coaching staff to perform to the best of their abilities, to motivate and guide the players so that they perform to the best of their abilities, and oversee the entirety of the Football program. He has gotten away with this for some years, but as the old mossbacked coaches he started with have drifted away, he is left with only people he looks down on. He is the smartest guy in the room. This leads to calcified thinking, repeating patterns, habitual thinking. More mentally adroit coaches take advantage of this, as has been seen in the last few years. A younger GMFP would make adjustments, out-think his tormentors. Old Gary just doubles down on what isn't working, thinking that if he just does it harder, it'll work out eventually.

The warning signs have been there, but we simply haven't chosen to heed them. We knew he'd come around, that he'd have one good year left to entertain us all. But, he doesn't. He just got skinned by a guy who skinned him two years ago in similar fashion. GMFP was ready, was prepared, even had an extra week to be so. And he was skinned.

The party's over. GMFP has run out of tricks. His players aren't buying into his plans, and his old buddies on the staff can't instruct or develop the talent that has committed to the team, and he can't motivate anybody in the program anymore. Multiple people report that the team is near-catatonic coming out of the locker room, something that never used to be the case.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Patterson needs to get them playing better no doubt, but he doesn’t make the tackles. Team is going to have to make a big improvement this week.
This is the dumbest line of logic going.

Did Dykes do the blocking Saturday? Does Saban ever block? It’s Gary’s JOB to put the unpaid kids in a position to succeed. He hasn’t done that job for years. If he wants to throw up his hands and say “They aren’t listening to me “ (which he does on occasion) that is tantamount to admitting he isn’t doing his job. He needs to go. Next man up. We can have our puck
If coaches for $6mm/year. Or even half of that

Showtime Joe 2.0

College football is a big business and it's getting bigger by the day. And successful college football programs these days have to be run like a business with the head coach thinking and acting like a businessman at all times. Successful businessmen are constantly adapting, innovating, and embracing change. And, yes, successful businessmen tend to be ruthless; they don't hesitate to throw dead weight overboard when needed. Friendships and personal loyalty always take a backseat to the bottom line, which, in football, is wins and losses. In fact, successful businessmen know better than to hire their friends in the first place.

There's no doubt that Gary Patterson is a talented football coach who's had great success in the past. But times have changed, as they always do. Kodak was one of the most successful businesses in the world for over a century but unimaginative and ossified thinking on the part of its management caused it to miss out on the Digital Revolution. The company is now a pathetic shell of what it used to be.

I don't want TCU Football to go the way of Kodak. But I don't think Patterson has the keen business sense needed to keep that from happening. Lately, and more often than not, he seems to be behind the curve instead of ahead of it. It's not so much that "the game has passed him by" but that he doesn't even realize that it's no longer a game at his level but, rather, a business. And I'm afraid that he's just not a good businessman.

Think about it. If you were on the board of a corporation that made widgets and you had to hire either Nick Saban or Gary Patterson as your CEO, realizing that neither man knows anything about widgets, which one would you hire?

I can only hope that "the powers that be" at TCU who'll ultimately decide Patterson's fate will make that decision in a business-like manner alone, casting all personal feelings, emotions, and nostalgia aside when they do so. They have to think and act like businessmen too.

Rabidfrog

College football is a big business and it's getting bigger by the day. And successful college football programs these days have to be run like a business with the head coach thinking and acting like a businessman at all times. Successful businessmen are constantly adapting, innovating, and embracing change. And, yes, successful businessmen tend to be ruthless; they don't hesitate to throw dead weight overboard when needed. Friendships and personal loyalty always take a backseat to the bottom line, which, in football, is wins and losses. In fact, successful businessmen know better than to hire their friends in the first place.

There's no doubt that Gary Patterson is a talented football coach who's had great success in the past. But times have changed, as they always do. Kodak was one of the most successful businesses in the world for over a century but unimaginative and ossified thinking on the part of its management caused it to miss out on the Digital Revolution. The company is now a pathetic shell of what it used to be.

I don't want TCU Football to go the way of Kodak. But I don't think Patterson has the keen business sense needed to keep that from happening. Lately, and more often than not, he seems to be behind the curve instead of ahead of it. It's not so much that "the game has passed him by" but that he doesn't even realize that it's no longer a game at his level but, rather, a business. And I'm afraid that he's just not a good businessman.

Think about it. If you were on the board of a corporation that made widgets and you had to hire either Nick Saban or Gary Patterson as your CEO, realizing that neither man knows anything about widgets, which one would you hire?

I can only hope that "the powers that be" at TCU who'll ultimately decide Patterson's fate will make that decision in a business-like manner alone, casting all personal feelings, emotions, and nostalgia aside when they do so. They have to think and act like businessmen too.
the "bidness" type thinking is the reason why this country is in the sad shape it's in. Wrong values. I like guts, loyalty and tradition. So I am sticking with Gary and his boys. They'll reach down deep and find out what they're made of.

Eight

great example of eastman kodak and someone on this site gave a very appropriate comparison with gary in tom landry.

both were way ahead of their time with not only the defensive alignment and the way they taught their players to read keys in certain positions, but the manner in which they could almost anticipate what offenses were going to do until......along came bill walsh and his short passing game and scripted openings that didn't follow the pattern and trends of everyone else

Eight

the "bidness" type thinking is the reason why this country is in the sad shape it's in. Wrong values. I like guts, loyalty and tradition. So I am sticking with Gary and his boys. They'll reach down deep and find out what they're made of.

years ago had a prof at tcu say that evolution was real in all aspects of life. they weren't arguing for darwin theories of evolution, but the thought that the one constant in life is change and if you fail to adapt you die.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
5-4 in the Big 12 in 2020....again, if being mediocre is your cup of tea....drink Earl Gary all day long.
2021 is this season obviously, but check the defensive stats...we haven't even played anybody that good yet.
2020 lost 2 games by 3 when max missed camp and had heart surgery. Only OU has done better. 7-2 in the last 9. 7-2 vs Texas. You don’t fire a GP with that.
Lol...it we are doing that math - he is 23-22 since 2016...(not including this season).. Again, if being mediocre is the goal...Gary is your guy.
ignore all of the success and just talk the problems. He can do it again.
Apples and Oranges. The UT situation is a dumpster fire at best, with any coach in a goldfish bowl due to the Longhorn Network, and DeLoss (or whoever) breathing down their necks along with a double dozen bigfoot alumni. The TCU job is a cakewalk in comparison.

GMFP has done this to himself. He has staffed his program with people he knows, and evidently does not care about results. He is loyal to his friends, which is a virtue in all other areas save sports. He refuses to clear out deadwood, and re-hired people who should have been kept far from Fort Worth. He bridles at criticism, however well-meaning. It is unquestioned that he is brilliant in his area of expertise, but the job of Head Coach has little to do with the implementation of the 4-2-5 and the proper instruction thereof, but in managing the coaching staff to perform to the best of their abilities, to motivate and guide the players so that they perform to the best of their abilities, and oversee the entirety of the Football program. He has gotten away with this for some years, but as the old mossbacked coaches he started with have drifted away, he is left with only people he looks down on. He is the smartest guy in the room. This leads to calcified thinking, repeating patterns, habitual thinking. More mentally adroit coaches take advantage of this, as has been seen in the last few years. A younger GMFP would make adjustments, out-think his tormentors. Old Gary just doubles down on what isn't working, thinking that if he just does it harder, it'll work out eventually.

The warning signs have been there, but we simply haven't chosen to heed them. We knew he'd come around, that he'd have one good year left to entertain us all. But, he doesn't. He just got skinned by a guy who skinned him two years ago in similar fashion. GMFP was ready, was prepared, even had an extra week to be so. And he was skinned.

The party's over. GMFP has run out of tricks. His players aren't buying into his plans, and his old buddies on the staff can't instruct or develop the talent that has committed to the team, and he can't motivate anybody in the program anymore. Multiple people report that the team is near-catatonic coming out of the locker room, something that never used to be the case.
not apples and oranges. Same thing. A bunch of front running wankers think they are geniuses.

CountryFrog

The time to reach down deep would've been halftime of the SMU game when the DL was getting manhandled. Then they came out in the 2nd half and played just as bad on defense and even worse on offense and special teams.

You don't have to call for anyone to be fired. It's a weird phenomenon in our world where so many people are so fast to want everyone else to be fired from their jobs all the time. It's not something I'm a fan of. At the same time, sports should be the ultimate meritocracy and whether you want someone to lose their job or not then at the very least have a realistic discussion about what this program has been over the last 10 years and which parts seem to be improving, which parts are staying static, and which parts seem to be getting worse.

I said after the game Saturday that this is the type of performance that results in coaches being fired at just about any big time football program and I stand by that. That's not me calling for anyone to be fired, that's simply the reality of the business. You don't have to like that it's a business but when coaches are making millions and assistants are getting high 6 figures then I'm not sure what else you call that.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs

This is the Jimbo Fisher CEO thinking. Ark is the worst team in the SEC and their ol boy coach kicks CEO’s butt within a year.

Fiscuits

2020 lost 2 games by 3 when max missed camp and had heart surgery. Only OU has done better. 7-2 in the last 9. 7-2 vs Texas. You don’t fire a GP with that.

ignore all of the success and just talk the problems. He can do it again.

not apples and oranges. Same thing. A bunch of front running wankers think they are geniuses.
Lol....Dutch , you stick to your guns I will give you that.

1) a loss is a loss. We could knit pick a BUNCH of games we actually won, we should not have, using this same logic..(see Texas from last season for a prime example).
2) Not ignoring any success...that's why he should be given a chance to retire. But we have not been relevant in 7 years.
3) If you want to continue watching .500 football that is going no where....Gary is your guy.

I like Gary as a person. I am grateful he has been at TCU. But EVERYTHING comes to an end at some point. And his, was over four years ago.