• The KillerFrogs

East Side Club email

Frogcrates

Forget shade!

Do what they do in the stadium in Pamplona for bullfights:

People on the upper deck of the sunny side bring buckets and buckets of water with them that they pour over the side dousing the party section (think student section) below to cool them off throughout the event. It quickly becomes spring break in a stadium.

Would love to see TCU's version of this (and so would a national television audience).

tcu-rain1.jpg

Last edited:

pastorfrog

They won't. They're just adding high $$$ suites and club seats. Don't expect to benefit from this unless you're willing to shell out major dough.

I'm as conservative and capitalistic as they come, but our stadium is very elitist. Wish we focused more on creating a great game day atomosphere for our team, and focused less on creating a posh setting for our high society, country club "fans".

Snowflake Bernie Bro

TX_Krötenechse

I think it’s fine. The waiting list of fans who want Club seats is currently filling the lower Westside bowl, so if they move to new club seats, hopefully a new wave of more dedicated fans will migrate to their seats, and leave the damn +4s behind.

Anything that moves empty seats from the lower bowl to higher up, I’m in favor of.

i got it. I know they also personally interviewed some people with basically the same questions. They've already engaged some builders on this as they show pictures of potential design etc. Whomever posted that rendering appeared to have just mirrored the west side - that's not how they showed it unless i missed that page.

Major questions posed:
1) Would you tolerate an increase in your current seats (hypotheticals)
2) If you're interested in moving where would you want to move to given x price.
3) are you interested in the east side club (between the 20s). what amenities should it have
4) What would you pay (provided some hypotheticals - $2-3.5k seat IIRC)
5) in addition, what would you fork over as capital contribution depending on yardline - which you could pay over 4 years ("i would definitely pay this, maybe, no etc).
6) would you be interested in a loge style box of 4-8 to seats
7) would you be interested in a full suite holding like 16
corresponding pricing questions for those

Some other things about stadium atmosphere, amenities etc.

The capital contribution will happen. They've had it unofficially before - ~3yrs ago you could have jumped the line for west side club by committing a decent chunk over 4 years. Then it doubled. Not sure what it would take now.

It did mention the TCU Club thing. Don't think that's going to fly in FW at those prices.

Steep but the demand will be there as long as we're in big boy conference and putting a good product on the field.

Deep Purple

This is why they should have assessed this contingency when they did the initial rebuild. I'm in construction and this is essentially a remodel. There are/will be significant costs to make these modifications over and above what would have been required had this been done when the stadium was taken to ground level. I have a group of 17 people I buy tickets for and this would likely drive a price stake right through our group. Oddly enough I was interested in what they seemed to be brainstorming about a club open for other events and meals. The one time construction fees were quite steep for almost every option I looked at.
I appreciate your expertise as a construction guy, but your analysis seems really flawed -- or at least I don't know how you arrived at it without access to the technical specifications and plans for stadium changes. it's a huge leap of faith.

When the old stadium was demolished to ground level and the new stadium designed in 2010, it was always planned that the new structure would initially accommodate 45,000, but be expandable to least 50,000 by adding another deck to the East side. What they're discussing now is not adding a new East-side deck, but simply another club and club-seating section. They're also tentatively exploring interest in an East-side loge seating area and a permanent Membership Club, open 7 days per week, in the North endzone.

I agree with you that the prices to access these amenity areas are very steep and probably beyond the reach of most fans. But "most fans" isn't really who they design them for, is it? Chris Del Conte has been tasked with putting TCU Athletics on a paying basis without relying on university subsidies for financial survival. He's doing his very best to accomplish that. It necessarily requires focusing on Redmond Uppercrust over Joe Sixpack. That's neither snobbery nor elitism, it's simply economic realism.

rM3panno

I appreciate your expertise as a construction guy, but your analysis seems really flawed -- or at least I don't know how you arrived at it without access to the technical specifications and plans for stadium changes. it's a huge leap of faith.

When the old stadium was demolished to ground level and the new stadium designed in 2010, it was always planned that the new structure would initially accommodate 45,000, but be expandable to least 50,000 by adding another deck to the East side. What they're discussing now is not adding a new East-side deck, but simply another club and club-seating section. They're also tentatively exploring interest in an East-side loge seating area and a permanent Membership Club, open 7 days per week, in the North endzone.

I agree with you that the prices to access these amenity areas are very steep and probably beyond the reach of most fans. But "most fans" isn't really who they design them for, is it? Chris Del Conte has been tasked with putting TCU Athletics on a paying basis without relying on university subsidies for financial survival. He's doing his very best to accomplish that. It necessarily requires focusing on Redmond Uppercrust over Joe Sixpack. That's neither snobbery nor elitism, it's simply economic realism.

Maybe it is flawed maybe it is not, generally speaking a retrofit of anything is going to take time and money to get the structure to a point where it may otherwise would have been had it not already been completed in a different configuration. I'm in residential construction now but spent several years managing office space construction and it is the same situation there. We won't ever see a line item cost or bid sheet for this proposed or possibly future project but there will be some line items that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Additionally, construction costs for almost every item used in stadium construction are up drastically since the original "remodel". Steel, concrete, and significant labor increases in the trades (specifically concrete, electrical, plumbing and drywall).

Deep I really respect your contributions to the board and historic information on many topics. I chuckled a little to myself when I read your post because I have heard that point before. I can't tell you how many customers in both commercial and residential think that construction is somehow easier (i.e. cheaper) since something or someone is already there, "well, while your guys are here, can they do this?" The answer is invariably yes but at what cost. I have been around construction my entire life and have an undergraduate and masters in accounting and it never fails that the majority of people fail to account for the labor, materials, and subsequent markup/change oorder fee to do what they are asking. Many seem to think something is cheaper in construction as a result a other construction workers simply being on site.

pastorfrog

Economic realism isn't a desired trait of the left or the right these days! Totally agree with your assessment.

MN Frog

I agree with your assesment on the expansion. I would assume the new suites would almost be a freestanding addition to the stadium. The facade on east side would likely come down and they would push the stadium footprint back into Frog Alley by another 60-100' I assume. Living in MN I dont have a say in the seating portion, but it sure would be a nice addition Im sure. The stadium already looks bigger than it is, this would only help that perception. Not to mention the added noise by enclosing more of it with hard surfaces.

razor488

I received the survey but I said I wouldn't be interested in the club seats, country club, box etc... I sit in chairback east side and it asked if I would be willing to pay $175 per year seat donation instead of the current $125... So that might tell you what to expect for next year/future?

Volare

I received the survey but I said I wouldn't be interested in the club seats, country club, box etc... I sit in chairback east side and it asked if I would be willing to pay $175 per year seat donation instead of the current $125... So that might tell you what to expect for next year/future?

Right, and less home games as they get moved to Jerry World.