• The KillerFrogs

Dixon?

tetonfrog

I do remember those. But the bar has been raised. That's what happens when you join a P5 league, pump a bunch of money into massively upgrading your arena, and start paying a coach $3M/year +.

I'm happy he's here, i just want to watch more games where I can say at the end we sure looked like the better-prepared, better-coached team.

The flip side is that it is exciting to have high expectations for the basketball program.It sucks that the Frogs probably won't meet them this year. It is disappointing we probably wont see the Frogs in the sweet 16 this year, but the future is bright.

The team should be good again next year. I still believe JD is the guy who can take this program to the highest level it has ever been. Can you guys think of any other coach who would come here and stay and do it?

froginmn

Yes, how dare I question continuing to celebrate being the 65th best team in the country nearly 2 full years later?
I was thinking more along the lines of: that was probably more impressive than any professional accomplishment in your career (or mine). Discounting it is stupid.

LawFrog504

I was thinking more along the lines of: that was probably more impressive than any professional accomplishment in your career (or mine). Discounting it is stupid.
Lol ok, let's move it into a completely unrelated and irrelevant context. Me saying move past the NIT win somehow is related to you or my occupation? Would love to hear how that works

froginmn

Lol ok, let's move it into a completely unrelated and irrelevant context. Me saying move past the NIT win somehow is related to you or my occupation? Would love to hear how that works
You can say we need to target higher accomplishments without calling the biggest basketball success in the last 20 years "cute and all".

LawFrog504

You can say we need to target higher accomplishments without calling the biggest basketball success in the last 20 years "cute and all".
I have no earthly idea how those 3 words triggered you this much, but all I'm saying is it was good for the program at the time, but in order to keep progressing we need to stop beating our chest about winning a tournament of the 32 best teams to not make the big dance

tetonfrog

I have no earthly idea how those 3 words triggered you this much, but all I'm saying is it was good for the program at the time, but in order to keep progressing we need to stop beating our chest about winning a tournament of the 32 best teams to not make the big dance

It is true that our goals are bigger than winning the NIT now. But it was a big deal at the time. Stop discounting that. It is disappointing that the Frogs might be back in it this year, but it was the first time TCU experienced any success in basketball since Tubbs' team made it to the tourney in '97.

Our goals are higher than that now. But it is still a milestone for our program. We are waiting for the next milestone - win a game or two in the NCAAs. it sucks that it probably won't happen this year, but I bet it will happen soon under Dixon. Do you think there is another coach out there who can take us there?

Zubaz

We've won 5 Big 12 games in this, a disappointing down year plagued by injuries and departures of key players. We are probably good for at least one more. This coming the year after our first NCAA tournament appearance since before Bill Clinton was impeached, and the year before that winning the NIT.

His predecessor won 8 Big 12 games in 4 years . He never finished better than 9th (he did that once), zero postseason appearances, and we went winless in conference one year. HIS predecessor didn't do much better.

Cool out.

Eight

It is true that our goals are bigger than winning the NIT now. But it was a big deal at the time. Stop discounting that. It is disappointing that the Frogs might be back in it this year, but it was the first time TCU experienced any success in basketball since Tubbs' team made it to the tourney in '97.

Our goals are higher than that now. But it is still a milestone for our program. We are waiting for the next milestone - win a game or two in the NCAAs. it sucks that it probably won't happen this year, but I bet it will happen soon under Dixon. Do you think there is another coach out there who can take us there?

i do believe the end of the year success and the chance to play those extra games set this team up for the success they had in the 2017 season.

yes, 2017 finished with a loss but when i am comparing year's and results it easily trumps 2016 namely because of the 9-9 finish in a very, very good big 12 that season. you had very good teams, very good talent and tcu competed at the highest level that season.

for tcu to get into the ncaa tournament meant winning against the very best in the country.

the nit in 2016 was nice, it was fun to watch, but when comparing the two it was an incremental step.

as far as who else could do the same at tcu, don't know. don't know who would be interested in the job, don't know what tcu would be wiling to provide in regards to resources and don't know what expectations are being asked of the coach.

Last edited:

LawFrog504

Jesus Christ man, I already said it was big at the time. My only gripe here, no matter how far out of context you and others continue to take my initial, only point, is that I'm tired of going on game threads after losses in conference and seeing "Hey, stop, we won the NIT" anytime someone questions a decision made by JD. Questioning the usage of personnel or lack of any offensive scheme whatsoever should not be met with "2 years, ago we won a 2nd tier postseason tournament so you can't complain." 3 million a year? give me a break.

OmniscienceFrog

Fisher is probably done and who said Jaime didn't want Alok to go down the road. We just need to finish as strong as we can this year and then have an incredible off season this year. If Bane and Noi come back for next season, plus Davis, and maybe we hit on some transfers and this recruiting class then all problems go away. Keep marching Coach Dixon.
Is there some intent with spelling Dixon's first name wrong every time or are you dyslexic?

tetonfrog

Jesus Christ man, I already said it was big at the time. My only gripe here, no matter how far out of context you and others continue to take my initial, only point, is that I'm tired of going on game threads after losses in conference and seeing "Hey, stop, we won the NIT" anytime someone questions a decision made by JD. Questioning the usage of personnel or lack of any offensive scheme whatsoever should not be met with "2 years, ago we won a 2nd tier postseason tournament so you can't complain." 3 million a year? give me a break.

I am not one of those posters. I'd love to see a better half-court offense and a much improved in-bounds strategy. But, if the execution of our team is so bad, what other coach would be better?