• The KillerFrogs

Dixon?

Zubaz

We need to be aiming to do more then clear his predecessors low bars.
Clearly we are. I don't think we should use one lost season with a team decimated by injuries and transfers (and yet is still an NCAA bubble team, making it better than anything TCU has had in the 15 years prior to Dixon's arrival) as reflective of the overall job he has done. He has clearly raised the bar on both performance and expectation.

Eight

I am not one of those posters. I'd love to see a better half-court offense and a much improved in-bounds strategy. But, if the execution of our team is so bad, what other coach would be better?

impossible question to answer because to answer it you have to either assume every other variable would be the same or project other things that there just is no way to know.

example, if tcu had hired brad underwood instead of jamie we have no idea who is signed in underwood's 3 classes coming into this year, who transfers in, who transfers out, and if brad leaves for illinois after 1 season.

there is no doubt dixon has done good things with the program and the recruiting class has great potential. as i wrote above there are very definite things that have to be addressed to keep the program competitive in the big 12 and that includes filing out the roster, developing players, and making what changes dixon and his staff believe need to be made prior to next season.

not a make or break situation, but i do think it is important going into year 4 to start showing progress with his guys in his program. years 1 and 2 he had williams and vlad to carry a great deal of the load. year 4 will be his guys.

i did find this link to an old cbs article grading 15 heading coaching hires in 2016. interesting to go back and look at who really has had success in their new jobs, who is treading water, and who has been a bust.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ng-college-basketball-coaching-hires-of-2016/

LeagueCityFrog

Is there some intent with spelling Dixon's first name wrong every time or are you dyslexic?

My bad. I'm usually not a bad speller. My phone may have auto corrected wrong every time and I didn't catch it if I spelled it wrong and saved the wrong spelling once and I wasn't paying attention to my phone. I hate TCU grads that are also bad spellers.

I don't want this TCU basketball season to be a throw away after the potential when we started. Maybe we catch fire with the seven remaining guys we have and get on a winning streak. Stranger things have happened. Remember the Alamo.... Bowl.....

flyfishingfrog

If I were CJD reading this I might consider UCLA!! Do you remember where we were four years ago??

Seriously people!!
CJD is pretty smart - guessing he - like GMFP and Schloss - realize the fringe of crazies are the people posting on the board. We truly put the FAN in FANATICS - so not exactly rational thinkers...

Doubt he is making life decisions based on our contributions of logic or lack there of...

MTfrog5

CJD is pretty smart - guessing he - like GMFP and Schloss - realize the fringe of crazies are the people posting on the board. We truly put the FAN in FANATICS - so not exactly rational thinkers...

Doubt he is making life decisions based on our content or lack there of...
Based on how he acts on the sidelines, I think Dixon would agree with majority of our concerns

Eight

If I were CJD reading this I might consider UCLA!! Do you remember where we were four years ago??

Seriously people!!

playing in a high school gym because most of the resources of the athletic department were allocated elsewhere.

trent didn't do a great job, but some seem to have forgotten that when tcu joined the big 12 the facilities and the resources allocated to the men's basketball program were a damn joke compared to the other programs in the conference.

how the hell he every got the players he did on campus playing games in a [ Finebaum ]ty fwisd gym is a damn miracle.

LawFrog504

Since you are over simplifying, why don’t we just back to the time between Tubbs and Dixon? But don’t answer that, you are trolling.
Reading comprehension is clearly not a strength of yours. You completely misread and misunderstood my overall point. To be clear, for you and everyone else calling for my head because I want to continue to grow as a program, I am not disputing that the NIT is better than what we had previously. No one sane would dispute that.

I am simply stating that it's not something we should hang our hat on over and over 2 years later if we want to ascend as a program. Not sure why you are having such a tough time grasping this. Just pointing out that when we are playing at Tech or at Kansas or apparently at Ok State, and we have 5 straight possessions of absolutely no ball movement or play design whatsoever, Saying "we won the NIT" isn't acceptable. Am I happy we won that tourney in year 1? Absolutely. Does this give JD a free pass that exempts him from any criticism or examination forever simply because of the terrible past history of TCU Hoops? I would seriously hope not.
I can't even fathom how my posting of this idea would constitute "trolling," but here we are. Read better next time.

denverfrog

I remember Killer talking about how little it took to turn a team around, a couple of scorers and 3 good role team players and you could win 20. Conversely, it also emphasizes how easy for a team to fall apart with this loss of one or two. Anyone trying to associate this year as some kind of judgement on CJD is an idiot. Sorry, don’t really care what you think your basketball pedigree is.

MTfrog5

FWIW Lunardi dropped TCU to a 10 seed facing Mississippi State. UNC is the 2 seed if they win as well. I’d honestly take that both those matchups if we have 7 healthy players over a tough 8/9 game

Wexahu

I remember Killer talking about how little it took to turn a team around, a couple of scorers and 3 good role team players and you could win 20. Conversely, it also emphasizes how easy for a team to fall apart with this loss of one or two. Anyone trying to associate this year as some kind of judgement on CJD is an idiot. Sorry, don’t really care what you think your basketball pedigree is.

CJD is now 20-29 in Big 12 play with a 7th place finish, a 5th place finish, and what looks like to be a 7th place finish again this year....in a 10-team league (albeit a good one).

At what point should we expect to see better results? I don't think anyone is saying we should be winning conference championships and hanging with Kansas every year, but when a guy is getting paid $3M+/year it does need to start getting better really soon or you're paying a lot of money for a lot of mediocrity.