• The KillerFrogs

Diehards: Deante Gray calls debate over paying players ‘laughable’ after NCAA earnings report

Eight

I know that, but without the NCAA as the organization that governs the sport and ties the whole thing together, I'm not sure how much those conference rights would be worth. I know I personally would be way less interested in the sport if conferences operated independently of the NCAA and each other.

why? what does the ncaa provide that validates the level of competition?

they don't regulate how much schools can spend on their programs, you have schools continually circumventing rules on staff, scholarship limits, contact during recruiting, enforcement of recruiting rules.

the schools and the conferences are the brand and not the ncaa. the ncaa is merely a screen used to obscure the fact people/ institutions are making billions off athletes under the guise of being a non-profit. joel osteen is jealous of this arrangement.

Eight

Like I said, if he thinks he can squeeze the NCAA, go for it. I’m not sure they made much of GG’s likeness, though.

the issue is not the amount they made off an individual likeness. the issue is they make money off the likeness of the individual and they restrict the individual from doing the same.

netty2424

why do people not grasp this concept. the scholarship comes from the school not the ncaa. the ncaa is a third party that is not only making money off the likeness and services of the athlete, but restricting the athletes ability to even seek a part time job
So you're saying when kids sign an LOI to play sports for a college/university, they are somehow blindsided by the games being televised and profits being made by the NCAA? Confused by your stance.

Surfrog

So you're saying when kids sign an LOI to play sports for a college/university, they are somehow blindsided by the games being televised and profits being made by the NCAA? Confused by your stance.

While I too struggle with eights lack of capitalization and punctuation, here is my stance: the NCAA restricts where student athletes can work. Student athletes must be approved to work a job in what little off season there is, many employers simply refuse to fill out the paperwork. Also, if a student athlete wants to host a football/basketball/baseball/etc camp or teach lessons, they are not allowed to use their name or the fact they play xyz sport for blank blank blank school.

The NCAA needs to be blown up. 1.1 billion made from "amateurs" is insane The "NON PROFIT" status with the board making high six figure salaries is near criminal. Coaches earning 5+ million a year while some kids struggle to pay bills is stupidity.

As for others saying "it's a choice." No, you either play a sport to go to school, or you don't go. You don't have a "choice" when your family relies on you.

As for "Off season" - there is no "off season" for any sport. you simply have a "competition season" it is near impossible to have a job as a student athlete.

Wexahu

blindsided? no.....do they understand all the conditions placed by the ncaa? can't say, but based upon the discussions i have had with friends in coaching there isn't much discussion about things such as part time jobs, being on campus and having no money, etc....

i can not think of any other situation where a third party is allowed to profit off the use of an individuals services and likeness.

The NCAA isn't really a "3rd party" though. Without them, or without an organization very similar to them, I'm not sure any of the money being thrown around even exists.

Eight

The NCAA isn't really a "3rd party" though. Without them, or without an organization very similar to them, I'm not sure any of the money being thrown around even exists.

really? the ncaa in my mind is far closer to the irs than a marketing and branding organization.

they didn't create the identity and interest of college sports, that was done by the schools and the accomplishments.

remember that at one time the nit tournament was a a far, far bigger event than the ncaa. so did the ncaa validate college basketball or merely offer a better deal to the colleges?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
if a regulatory body were to profit off this process that your friend developed would that be appropriate?

not shell who he received compensation from, but a regulatory body whose function was to oversee and control their activities. a regulatory body who he did not work for, received no compensation, and really contributed nothing to the developmental process?

Again, anyone is free to seek justice if they feel they are being abused. But it would be hard to argue the case after the first question by the opposition would be-“were you aware of the situation before signing your LOI? If not, we’re you not aware the rules are publicly available?”

Eight

Sorry, those are the rules known going in.

you sure about that? jeremy bloom who was from an educated, upper-middle class family didn't seem to know there would be an issue with his football scholarship if he received endorsement dollars from legit sponsorship for being a world class mogul skier.

Eight

Again, anyone is free to seek justice if they feel they are being abused. But it would be hard to argue the case after the first question by the opposition would be-“were you aware of the situation before signing your LOI? If not, we’re you not aware the rules are publicly available?”

abuse? who said anything about abuse? interesting choice of words

Dogfrog

Deante, the only reason I buy season tickets and donate to Frog club is to watch student athletes play football and to see hardworking motivated young men get a valuable college degree they wouldn’t have otherwise received.

If I wanted to watch professionals play football I would be a Dallas Cowboys season ticket holder. I only speak for myself but once TCU athletes start getting paid salaries I am out.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Deante, the only reason I buy season tickets and donate to Frog club is to watch student athletes play football and to see hardworking motivated young men get a valuable college degree they wouldn’t have otherwise received.

If I wanted to watch professionals play football I would be a Dallas Cowboys season ticket holder. I only speak for myself but once TCU athletes start getting paid salaries I am out.

Well, probably not the Cowboys...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
you sure about that? jeremy bloom who was from an educated, upper-middle class family didn't seem to know there would be an issue with his football scholarship if he received endorsement dollarsh from legit sponsorship for being a world class mogul skier.

Did he ask? I bet they would have told him where to look.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/ncaa-...tudent-athletes-receives-final-court-approval

I will be getting paid by the NCAA in the coming months for just the reasons I was saying earlier in this thread. A full scholarship doesn't pay for everything. The NCAA has made it better but there is still a long ways to go.

Brog

hey Brog you ever tried to pay all of your rent, car payment, insurance, and phone bill on $755 a month? hit me back when you make it work

Hey, Miner, have you ever tried to pay for all this, rent, car, insurance, phone, etc, without getting a damn dime from the school and without getting tuition, books, six meals a week? Try it some time.

Bizarro Frog

I don’t have the answers but I would imagine if the players got paid then their salary, tuition, food, lodging etc would all become taxable? Get paid $50,000 cash but pay taxes on $120,000 of total income? You would not have much left.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
Hey, Miner, have you ever tried to pay for all this, rent, car, insurance, phone, etc, without getting a damn dime from the school and without getting tuition, books, six meals a week? Try it some time.

Yes in fact I am doing it now, as I have re enrolled in college to try and get into professional school. I can take whatever classes I actually need rather than ones that can fit my workout and practice schedule. I would love to have worked to supplement my income in college but the NCAA doesn't allow you to have a job. So yes I have been on both sides of this issue and I'm still in the athletes corner.

DickBumpastache

Do you bring in any sort of revenue to the school? Do people pay money to watch you solve equations or put together PowerPoint presentations? Do they sell video games and apparel based off what you look like/wear?

If the answer is no, then why are you complaining?