• The KillerFrogs

Diehards: Deante Gray calls debate over paying players ‘laughable’ after NCAA earnings report

LVH

the only people who are not allowed to get a job if they want one are the basketball teams that people are paying to watch.

Absolute total 100% steaming [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ].

NCAA athletes are allowed to work. I was one, and worked. A lot of my teammates worked part time jobs and even full time in the summer.

LVH

but restricting the athletes ability to even seek a part time job

Absolute total lie.

I was an athlete at TCU and worked full time in the summer and part time in the offseason and even a day or two a week during the season.

Of all the steaming lies passed around during this debate, the "NCAA athletes aren't allowed to have jobs" has to be the worst one.

tcudoc

i can not think of any other situation where a third party is allowed to profit off the use of an individuals services and likeness.

Medical internships and residencies. Work 60-100 hours a week or more for $50,000. Hospital profits and you get education and experience in return.
I'm sure there are similar internships in law and other career paths.
Unless you are the big boss, someone somewhere is making money off of the labor that you perform. It is up to each individual to decide if they are okay with the risk/reward of the situation. In medicine, it is a required training in order to be able to provide care independently. In football, it is the chance to play a game you love, get excellent coaching/instruction, and see if you might be good enough to move to the next level. The trade off is a free education (that many of them would never have achieved on their own) for those who aren't going to make it a career.

Zubaz

Whatever, tough guy.

Show us the business plan to pay college athletes and keep the NCAA and the schools from losing a [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]-ton of money.
I'm about 95% sure there's at least one other football league in the United States that has developed a business plan somehow able to turn a profit even though it pays the players.

LVH

I could maybe see if a bunch of jerseys are sold with a specific players # on it some kind of compensation being paid to the player. But what if a bunch of jerseys are made with a specific # that are sold at a loss? Would that player owe the school or NCAA for the loss? What about the many many #4 TCU jerseys that are still sold. Who would get that cash? LT or the kid at TCU currently wearing #4?

This is just one small example of something that would seem very simple but is anything but. As was mentioned before, this would be an almost impossible thing to set up, monitor and keep track of. Take the NCAA profit and divide it by whatever how many schools/athletes there are and the money to be divided would be a drop in the bucket.

What about multiple numbers on the football team?

I know when Andy Dalton played he was #14 but so was a walk on wide receiver named Emmanel Asalou. Would both of them get a theoretical cut of #14 jersey sales?

LVH

I would say the NCAA provides the structure and organization that allows for all the money to be made. Without the NCAA, I'm not sure college athletes (football players specifically) would be playing in front of $50k+ plus fans every week and million of TV eyeballs.....so the money they are talking about maybe wouldn't be there.

Maybe nobody would really know who Johnny Manziel was when he was 20 years old if the NCAA didn't exist. So how much money could JM have made signing autographs?

Bingo.

NCAA sports are popular not because of the players but because of the association with the university they are tied to.

Take the Kentucky Basketball team and sever their ties with the University of Kentucky. The basketball team spins off into its own entity known as the Lexington Wildcat Basketball Team. Most Kentucky fans would stop caring and no one would go see them. It would essentially be minor league sports.

How many of you would care about TCU Football if the team detached itself from the university and was just known as the Fort Worth Horned Frogs Football Team? Even if it had the same roster, coaches and players?

Eight

Medical internships and residencies. Work 60-100 hours a week or more for $50,000. Hospital profits and you get education and experience in return.
I'm sure there are similar internships in law and other career paths.
Unless you are the big boss, someone somewhere is making money off of the labor that you perform. It is up to each individual to decide if they are okay with the risk/reward of the situation. In medicine, it is a required training in order to be able to provide care independently. In football, it is the chance to play a game you love, get excellent coaching/instruction, and see if you might be good enough to move to the next level. The trade off is a free education (that many of them would never have achieved on their own) for those who aren't going to make it a career.

thanks, that is a good example though i will say our youngest is doing an internship with an accounting firm while being a student on an academic scholarship.

i understand you most likely don't have time for a second job, let alone eat and sleep, but if you wished to work a second job could you?

my entire issue is that the ncaa limits how a student can earn money in an attempt to ensure the athlete is an amateur but there are numerous situations where the ncaa allows team sport athletes to be a pro in one and a college athlete in another.

i could be wrong, but isn't there a ceiling on how much a tennis player can earn playing as a pro and still be considered eligible for collegiate play?

LVH

As for "Off season" - there is no "off season" for any sport. you simply have a "competition season" it is near impossible to have a job as a student athlete.

Impossible, give me a break.

I worked 60+ hours a week in the summer. Sometimes 80+.

During the offseason I worked 3 or 4 nights a week.

During the season I would try to squeeze a Monday night in there.

I can list off many of my former teammates who had no trouble holding down a job.

LVH

No you did not. Did you have to spend your entire summer at the facility training?

Another lie. Summer workouts totaled 10 hours a week, max. You had weekends off. You had Wednesdays off after a morning run. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday were the only 3 days of the summer you had to spend more than 45 minutes at the facility and even then the total time was under 2 hours. Plenty of time to do other [ Finebaum ] during the week.

LVH

https://www.usatoday.com/story/coll...ettlement-ncaa-scholarship-lawsuit/875055001/

The NCAA has already started losing this fight. There's a reason they are paying $208 million to ex college athletes. You may not like it or agree with it but the reasons we are stating in this thread are some of the focal points of this lawsuit.

Most of that $208 million went to the lawyers. I know because I got a letter in the mail from the lawyers asking if I wanted my piece of the pie. Which would have been like a dollar.

LVH

They do get paid.

I was a non scholarship player and didn't get a dime. I had a partial academic scholarship but still had to borrow a good amount of money to go to TCU. I played for free.

The scholarship players got all their tuition, room, board, and extras paid for. I didn't get any of that. Yet I had to put in just as much time and effort as the scholarship guys did. Everyone will dismiss me because I was a walk on who didn't contribute but name one thing I didn't have to do that the scholarship guys did have to do. The only thing they did I didn't was play meaningful snaps on game day. I still had to go to the same workouts, treatments, film sessions, meetings, etc. every single one.

So while the players got over $150,000 in free tuition I had to borrow it. And after graduating I had to work 3 jobs over the span of 5 years to get my student loans paid off. 5 years of busting my ass working multiple jobs. I could have stretched out my student loans over 20 years but chose not to.

Meanwhile these scholarship players who got all that paid for and didn't have to worry about a dime of student debt or tuition are whining and bitching about not getting paid. Boo scheissing hoo. You got spared from what I got spared from, working 3 jobs over 5 years to pay off my tuition they got for free. scheiss that [ Finebaum ]. Stop whining. You got plenty compensated.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
I find a lot wrong with your replies to me so I will set the record straight

You wouldn't have to worry about rent if you chose to live on campus.

You are right I didn’t have to move out. If I decided to live in the dorms I got $150 dollars a month and the 6 meals. We didn’t have a cafeteria at my school readily available for athletes. We ate at Lubys. 6 times a week. That was our meal plan.

Most of that $208 million went to the lawyers. I know because I got a letter in the mail from the lawyers asking if I wanted my piece of the pie. Which would have been like a dollar.

I will be getting $6300 from this law suit so I guess you weren’t a part of a team for very long.

So they are forced to participate in throwaway majors? They have no choice?

No, I never said I was forced to be in a bad major. But if I wanted to do what I had to do to play (which was put all of my energy into football) I didn’t have many options.

Another lie. Summer workouts totaled 10 hours a week, max. You had weekends off. You had Wednesdays off after a morning run. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday were the only 3 days of the summer you had to spend more than 45 minutes at the facility and even then the total time was under 2 hours. Plenty of time to do other [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] during the week.

I wish I went to wherever you did. Because my experience was not like this. I had workouts from 6-9 w/ Wednesday mornings off. I then had a summer class from 9:30-12:30. Usually in the afternoon we had a “optional” practice run by the players (which means my coach gave us the rotations to run in 7 on 7 and the drills to do in individual drills). Say that starts at about 4-6. Then I went home to do my homework and start the day over again. In the extra time I had I went to treatments, ice baths, etc.

Chico Dusty

If you don’t like the “game”, don’t play it. It’s as simple as that. If these players don’t like the terms, then start something different and see how it goes. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Not a direct correlation, but Jay-Z and bunch of artists didn’t like the terms Spotify and Apple laid out for compensation and started Tidal, another streaming service and it failed miserably.

Eight

Absolute total lie.

I was an athlete at TCU and worked full time in the summer and part time in the offseason and even a day or two a week during the season.

Of all the steaming lies passed around during this debate, the "NCAA athletes aren't allowed to have jobs" has to be the worst one.

you are correct, i am wrong in saying the ncaa prohibits an athlete from working in and out of season. the ncaa over the past 15-20 years has changed their rules to allow students to engage in certain types of work.

what i should have said is the ncaa restricts and in some cases does prohibit work.

there are limits on the dollar amount that can be earned and athletes may not set up a business that the athlete uses their name, photo, or athletic experience to market their business. there are instances of athletes being told they must either shut down a business or separate from it because the player mentioned their athletic history.

compare that with our daughter who while an accounting student did book keeping for some small businesses and did identify herself as an accounting student at her university.

I'm about 95% sure there's at least one other football league in the United States that has developed a business plan somehow able to turn a profit even though it pays the players.
Seriously? Have you looked at NFL revenues compared to colleges?

Where are all the additional revenues going to come from to pay these athletes. They are already operating in the red.

Eight

here is a brief bit i referenced on college tennis players. someone please correct me if i am wrong or this is no longer in effect but:

In tennis, prior to full-time collegiate enrollment, an individual may accept up to $10,000 per calendar year in prize money based on his or her place finish or performance in athletics events. Such prize money may be provided only by the sponsor of an event in which the individual participates. Once the individual has accepted $10,000 in prize money in a particular year, he or she may receive additional prize money on a per-event basis, provided such prize money does not exceed the individual's actual and necessary expenses for participation in the event. The calculation of actual and necessary expenses shall not include the expenses or fees of anyone other than the individual (e.g, coach's fees or expenses, parent's expenses). (Adopted: 4/26/12, Revised: 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13)

https://www.tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=1771

Zubaz

Seriously? Have you looked at NFL revenues compared to colleges?

Where are all the additional revenues going to come from to pay these athletes. They are already operating in the red.
Nobody is saying NFL salaries, presumably salaries are adjusted based on overall revenue, but the assertion that it's somehow impossible to successfully a league while paying players is pretty absurd.

Nobody is saying NFL salaries, presumably salaries are adjusted based on overall revenue, but the assertion that it's somehow impossible to successfully a league while paying players is pretty absurd.
Again...show me where the additional revenues are going to come from to pay 460,000 athletes.

If you think for a minute that you’ll be able to pay a football player, but not pay a women’s lacrosse player, you are out of your mind.