• The KillerFrogs

Bizarre NCAA basketball news

Snitches get stitches and become [hundinnen ]. If you ever get ask any question by the FBI never ever answer anything except I invoke my fifth amendment right to not speak. I want a lawyer prior to discussing anything. Never speak with an FBI agent or Federal Prosecutor without a lawyer. Anything they construe as not completely truthful and they threaten you with a felony. If your lawyer speaks for you or better yet negotiates an immunity deal this can't happen.

Should the evidence be incontrovertible....then the FBI will have
to take control because the NCAA simply doesn't have the cojones
to respond. In their perception, sacred cows such as the SEC and
Ohio State are immune.

Horny 4 Life

And yet the NCAA has no clue it's going on.........

Eventually it will come out that the NCAA has been involved in this investigation and helping the FBI with targets. It's the only way they can begin to get answers on amateurism issues.

Everybody complains about the NCAA for not doing anything without acknowledging that there's not much they can do. They don't have any of the basic resources that the FBI or IRS have at their disposal. If a coach, player, or parent want to tell the NCAA a blatant lie or that they're not talking, there is almost nothing the NCAA can do to compel them to speak truthfully. They simply don't have those powers.

That's why NCAA investigations take so long and produce so little. They basically have to stumble upon a bad liar or an upset former player/coach/associate that is willing to provide the proof that the NCAA can't get for themselves.

W

Way of the Frog

The NCAA did know about this, heck anyone even with the slightest connection to AAU basketball knew about this, Sonny Vaccaro wrote a book and multiple television interviews about it, and while the NCAA doesn't have the resources to get the information or cooperation they also have had no interest to do anything to raise any doubt about the product that brings in their most revenue.

Hell, they have been investigating UNC for how long and yet to do a damn thing.

tcudoc

Snitches get stitches and become [ poofsters ]. If you ever get ask any question by the FBI never ever answer anything except I invoke my fifth amendment right to not speak. I want a lawyer prior to discussing anything. Never speak with an FBI agent or Federal Prosecutor without a lawyer. Anything they construe as not completely truthful and they threaten you with a felony. If your lawyer speaks for you or better yet negotiates an immunity deal this can't happen.
Dave-Chappelle-Pleads-The-Fif-On-The-Chappelle-Show-Skit.gif

BABYFACE

Should the evidence be incontrovertible....then the FBI will have
to take control because the NCAA simply doesn't have the cojones
to respond. In their perception, sacred cows such as the SEC and
Ohio State are immune.

Paying players to come to a school by boosters is not against the law. It is against NCAA rules. Kickback schemes are illegal. Let's not confuse the two.

f_399

Paying players to come to a school by boosters is not against the law. It is against NCAA rules. Kickback schemes are illegal. Let's not confuse the two.

I think where the law comes in is if those (bigger)payments are not declared for tax purposes.

The government gets mad when it doesn't get its cut.

Mean Purple

Have not had a chance to read the indictment. Just based on the video clip of the press conference, it would seem hard to make a bribery charge stick, if indeed they have charged on that. (considering the targets and definitions of jobs, etc.) If the sportwear company has the money on the books, it would be a one way tracking on any laundering. Tax issues abound obviously. And obvious ncaa issues.

Again, have not read through it. So it will be interesting to see what they actually charge on.

But a bad scandal none the less.

Very true. Where it will get interesting is that today, it's hard to pay someone large sums of money without some sort of "laundering." Not impossible, just trickier. There's also tax evasion implications for the recipients now that the Feds are involved. So when they start to line up possible payoffs, they can play the boosters and athletes against each other. They can threaten the athlete with tax evasion if he doesn't give up the booster. If the booster wasn't careful, he can be threatened with money laundering. The NCAA didn't have this leverage.

Yesterday might turn out to be the day collegiate athletics changed forever.