1. The KillerFrogs

Bizarre NCAA basketball news

Discussion in 'Scott & Wes Frog Fan Forum' started by Moose Stuff, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Shocking. And by that I mean NOT shocking.

2. College Basketball is so dirty, it makes SEC college football look squeaky clean by comparison

3. Reddit thread about it. So far 4 asst. coaches have been named.

Has to do with a major international sportswear company as well. Apparently it's Nike and Adidas

4. [​IMG]

5. So, payola to players and recruits is at the discretion of the NCAA of potential violations, but involve a sportswear/goods company into the mix and it opens the door for the Feds to come in? Interesting.

6. Basketball has been dirty for a long time. These "AAU" teams are part of the problem.

Salfrog likes this.
  7. AAU is cancer, just like travel/select baseball is cancer for baseball

Wish both would go away

8. Curious if it becomes a Federal matter when the businesses are the ones providing the funds to have the kids sign with schools that rep the apparel.

Not a new story in any stretch of the matter, but the difference here between this and a regular NCAA investigation is the Feds have the ability to track the money. if you recall the Michigan basketball scandal with Chris Webber and other players it was first the IRS and then the Feds who were able to show the transfer of money. Something the NCAA just does not have the ability to do and why Bob Knight years ago said the best group to end cheating was the IRS.

Horned Toad, BABYFACE and MTfrog5 like this.
  9. Wish they would all go away, but sadly it isn't that way anymore. I don't know how you reverse it.

10. http://newsok.com/osu-basketball-as...ged-with-fraud-and-corruption/article/5565560

NEW YORK — Oklahoma State assistant Lamont Evans was among four college basketball coaches facing federal charges Tuesday in a wide probe of fraud and corruption in the NCAA, authorities said.

The other coaches identified in court papers were Chuck Person of Auburn University, Emanuel Richardson of the University of Arizona and Tony Bland of the University of Southern California. It was not immediately clear who would represent them at initial court appearances.

They were among 10 people charged in Manhattan federal court. Others included managers, financial advisers and representatives of a major international sportswear company. The details were to be discussed at a news conference on Tuesday afternoon.

Evans was brought to Stillwater from South Carolina as a part of Brad Underwood’s staff in April 2016. According to court documents, Evans took at least $22,000 in bribe money to steer athletes to financial advisers.

11. Busting people that cross the line between the merely unethical/reprehensible and criminal money laundering or tax evasion is a pretty good start.

JogginFrog likes this.
  12. Please God let Baylor be involved.

13. You really can't because of the money flowing through it and how it corrupts all the parties involved in something that portrays that it is all about promoting the kids.

Consider the rise of Josh Pastner, his father, and their relationship with shoe companies.

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/AAU-Success-leads-to-scrutiny-of-Hal-Pastner-1713389.php

14. You quoted me about my statement about AAU and select sports for youths. There could be zero corruption and club sports will continue. I am all against stopping corruption. My point in my last post was I wish it was they way when I grew up and parent/volunteer coaches coached the kids thru 8th grade and then handed them off to the high schools. However, the reality is that it is easier for college coaches to scout showcase tournaments than trying to go to a bunch of HS games. Trust me when I say that I don't like the way things are.

15. It doesn't apply to certain teams like Ohio State....they have a 'get out of jail free card'. NCAA Immunity

Salfrog likes this.
  16. I know club sports aren't going away. Hell, myself and another member on this board coach a high school aged select softball team. While I am involved and coach select/travel, that doesn't mean I like the way things have evolved.

2314 likes this.
  17. Then you know as well as any of this that the biggest thing screwing up kids' sports is adults.