• The KillerFrogs

Big XII actively considering BYU

Nolaeer

BYU is in the top 2. People need to accept it.
UCF is a clear number 2.

Big 12 gets them it may stop at 10.
If not, there is not set next tier. Cinn, Houston, USF, Memphis?
My guess is cinn. would get 1 spot. not sure who gets the last.

Brog

BYU Sports Nation on BYUtv today was ALL over it - calling the last 14 hours as the most consequential in BYU sports history. Their unscientific poll was 77% in favor of joining the Big 12 and 23% in favor of staying independent.

I'm in the process of gradually accepting the fact that we're once again going to be mates with those conference killers. If past is prologue, they'll be great fans and everything will be hunky dory for 2-5 years and they'll then turn on a dime and start undermining the conference at every turn over some minor issue. But they're certainly controversial and controversy generates interest and sells.

Jared, I've followed the Frogs now for nearly 70 years so my memory is going, going... So I don't remember the BYU experience enough to know why you call them "conference killers." Can you share some details? Thanks. (Edit: don't know why the hell my computer underlined the lines above and I cant correct them. More than memory is going, going......)

froginmn

So you think people who took a summer course in micro economics would care about the football team? Hell, I graduated from University of North Texas after my parents cut me off at TCU and I don't give one rip about University of North Texas. Not sure if I even care to see University of North Texas.
But see, University of North Texas is a bigger draw than some people are willing to admit.

Jared7

Jared, I've followed the Frogs now for nearly 70 years so my memory is going, going... So I don't remember the BYU experience enough to know why you call them "conference killers." Can you share some details? Thanks. (Edit: don't know why the hell my computer underlined the lines above and I cant correct them. More than memory is going, going......)
They are called conference killers for the same reason Jamie Lannister was called the KingSlayer. I mean, like, you know, they kill conferences or whatever. Back in 1998, lil ole TCU was just whistling a happy tune and enjoying life while trying to adjust to the post-SWC world in the WAC-16 with its unique pod system and its Cotton/Holiday Bowl tie-ins and its ESPN contract and we had just beaten SMU (despite losing every other game) and good ole boy Frank had finally announced his retirement and we had just stolen some new guy coach named Fran or something from New Mexico (with a weird hyper DC named Gary something) and we had a freshman RB from Waco whose initials were LT or something...

And then, suddenly and deliberately, without warning, the unholy BCS was maliciously formed by Roy Kramer and his evil minions in order to monopolize all post-season money and freeze out all non-BCS members. But the heroic Karl Benson, the WAC Commissioner, went to Congress to testify about the BCS's patent unfairness and create momentum behind access for the struggling masses yearning to breathe free. But he had a toothache and while briefly laid up in the hospital for surgery, just as suddenly, a cabal, no, a "Gang" of 5 WAC CEO's, each on the board of the WAC with a fiduciary duty to protect the conference's interests, met at old Stapleton Airport outside Denver (not the new one that loses luggage all the time) to plot the WAC-16's demise. Their frontman was "Airport Al" Yates, from CSU, but lurking in the background, as always, like Harry Lyme in The Third Man, was BYU, the WAC's universally-acknowledged "leader," who could simply have said no to the whole scheme, but didn't. What resulted was an utter travesty - the Gang of 5 aped the UT Longhorns and withdrew from the WAC and immediately extorted (with a 24-hour deadline), UNM, SDSU and UNLV to join them, leaving the WAC depleted with no winning teams and spread out from Texas to Hawaii. And no Cotton Bowl; no TV contract; no bowl tie-ins and no prospects. It was utter devastation. Like Dresden in Slaughterhouse 5.

Fast forward in a flash (35-34 over AF; Sun Bowl; Landry Burdine; USC; little Fox deal; LT breaking records; Mobile Alabama Bowl; SJfSU; Fran's red tie; GP as coach; C-USA; ESPN deal; beating CSU in Airport Al's final game at the Liberty Bowl; Miami to ACC; break-up of C-USA; MWC; Comcast/CSTV deal; 51-50 over BYU when our player clearly and unequivocably crossed the goal line before the fumble; 13-10 L to Utah in 2008; Top 10 finishes!; Poinsettia Bowl over BSU!; Fiesta Bowl against BSU??!!; major push for BCS waiver to get MWC as BCS conference; invitation to Boise assuring success; Utah to Pac 12 )...

2010. A mere 4 days after the invite to BSU to join the MWC, Utah left. But our hopes to join the big time were not gone! With BSU, BYU and TCU, the MWC still had a chance. But unwilling to share the SLC/Provo market with a BCS (now P5) school, BYU decided to consider independence. But instead of just doing it like Utah, there was intrigue. The dastardly Karl Benson had other plans. Working with Utah State, he tried to entice BYU to place its non-football sports back in the WAC; which they considered strongly. The effort will forever go down in history as The "Benson Project." And not only that, he tried to completely destroy the MWC by also enticing UNLV and SDSU to change back. What did BYU know and when did they know it?? Did they maintain plausible deniability? Were they the archetypical mastermind like Dr. Evil in his lair? Luckily, loose lips sink ships and there was a leak and Hair Thompson (now the hero and earlier the villain) immediately invited Fresno State and Nevada (who very helpfully beat Boise State so we could go for the Roses later that year); killing off the threat of the MWC's untimely demise.

Airport Al and the Gang of 5 and the Benson Project are the reasons BYU is known as a conference killer. Hey, you asked...

tcudoc

Not understanding the Boise backlash. Other than a short-lived rivalry with them I don't see a reason to hate. They've shown a commitment to football, are improving their academics and Boise is the fastest growing city in America.

The 15 fastest-growing cities in the US

Table of contents
The 15 fastest-growing cities from April 2010 to July 2019 (City populations of 50,000 or more)
Frisco, Texas
Buckeye, Arizona
New Braunfels, Texas
McKinney, Texas
South Jordan, Utah
Meridian, Idaho
Cedar Park, Texas
Fort Myers, Florida
Conroe, Texas
Irvine, California
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Round Rock, Texas
Goodyear, Arizona
Franklin, Tennessee

Not understanding the Boise backlash. Other than a short-lived rivalry with them I don't see a reason to hate. They've shown a commitment to football, are improving their academics and Boise is the fastest growing city in America.
I would hope that the Big 12 would make it a condition of entry that they install a normal field instead of that hideous blue turf. Way too gimmicky for Big 12 teams to have to put up with.

asleep003

They are called conference killers for the same reason Jamie Lannister was called the KingSlayer. I mean, like, you know, they kill conferences or whatever. Back in 1998, lil ole TCU was just whistling a happy tune and enjoying life while trying to adjust to the post-SWC world in the WAC-16 with its unique pod system and its Cotton/Holiday Bowl tie-ins and its ESPN contract and we had just beaten SMU (despite losing every other game) and good ole boy Frank had finally announced his retirement and we had just stolen some new guy coach named Fran or something from New Mexico (with a weird hyper DC named Gary something) and we had a freshman RB from Waco whose initials were LT or something...

And then, suddenly and deliberately, without warning, the unholy BCS was maliciously formed by Roy Kramer and his evil minions in order to monopolize all post-season money and freeze out all non-BCS members. But the heroic Karl Benson, the WAC Commissioner, went to Congress to testify about the BCS's patent unfairness and create momentum behind access for the struggling masses yearning to breathe free. But he had a toothache and while briefly laid up in the hospital for surgery, just as suddenly, a cabal, no, a "Gang" of 5 WAC CEO's, each on the board of the WAC with a fiduciary duty to protect the conference's interests, met at old Stapleton Airport outside Denver (not the new one that loses luggage all the time) to plot the WAC-16's demise. Their frontman was "Airport Al" Yates, from CSU, but lurking in the background, as always, like Harry Lyme in The Third Man, was BYU, the WAC's universally-acknowledged "leader," who could simply have said no to the whole scheme, but didn't. What resulted was an utter travesty - the Gang of 5 aped the UT Longhorns and withdrew from the WAC and immediately extorted (with a 24-hour deadline), UNM, SDSU and UNLV to join them, leaving the WAC depleted with no winning teams and spread out from Texas to Hawaii. And no Cotton Bowl; no TV contract; no bowl tie-ins and no prospects. It was utter devastation. Like Dresden in Slaughterhouse 5.

Fast forward in a flash (35-34 over AF; Sun Bowl; Landry Burdine; USC; little Fox deal; LT breaking records; Mobile Alabama Bowl; SJfSU; Fran's red tie; GP as coach; C-USA; ESPN deal; beating CSU in Airport Al's final game at the Liberty Bowl; Miami to ACC; break-up of C-USA; MWC; Comcast/CSTV deal; 51-50 over BYU when our player clearly and unequivocably crossed the goal line before the fumble; 13-10 L to Utah in 2008; Top 10 finishes!; Poinsettia Bowl over BSU!; Fiesta Bowl against BSU??!!; major push for BCS waiver to get MWC as BCS conference; invitation to Boise assuring success; Utah to Pac 12 )...

2010. A mere 4 days after the invite to BSU to join the MWC, Utah left. But our hopes to join the big time were not gone! With BSU, BYU and TCU, the MWC still had a chance. But unwilling to share the SLC/Provo market with a BCS (now P5) school, BYU decided to consider independence. But instead of just doing it like Utah, there was intrigue. The dastardly Karl Benson had other plans. Working with Utah State, he tried to entice BYU to place its non-football sports back in the WAC; which they considered strongly. The effort will forever go down in history as The "Benson Project." And not only that, he tried to completely destroy the MWC by also enticing UNLV and SDSU to change back. What did BYU know and when did they know it?? Did they maintain plausible deniability? Were they the archetypical mastermind like Dr. Evil in his lair? Luckily, loose lips sink ships and there was a leak and Hair Thompson (now the hero and earlier the villain) immediately invited Fresno State and Nevada (who very helpfully beat Boise State so we could go for the Roses later that year); killing off the threat of the MWC's untimely demise.

Airport Al and the Gang of 5 and the Benson Project are the reasons BYU is known as a conference killer. Hey, you asked...

BYU wouldn't have nearly the power in a Big 12 they in the Rockies 10 yrs. ago. Surely they would have restrictions about the no Sunday play business and etc. Their 1 vote would be it for power... especially as an out of the foot print member.