• The KillerFrogs

Big XII actively considering BYU

BYU, UCF, Cincy and Houston make sense. If WVU should bolt you add USF as UCF’s EST zone partner.

If anyone else is able to bolt for a P5 conference then this thing is dead anyway…if it isn’t already.

Boise and SMU don’t bring enough to the table to make any sense to me. I would look to Memphis before either of those two.
I would look to Memphis before UH

HG73

I freakin love BYU...loved them since they beat SMU with a last second hail mary in a bowl game in 198whatever.

Their teams are competitive, the schools cares about sports, their fan base is passionate and shows up with 6 kids to every game.

BYU + UCF keeps the Big 12/10/whatever a Power 5...
And three wives.

Spike

Good Lord! Houston adds nothing and detracts the Big 12. Houstonians will not watch the Cougars when UT, T A&M, LSU, OU, and other alumni who live in Houston and could care less about supporting UH when their teams are playing the same time and or day. The other three I agree with. Add Colorado St. Then you have a conference.

Houston brought a huge crowd to Reliant when we played them in 2007. Maybe they don't draw a big following to play Tulane, ECU, or Colorado State, but what if they were actually playing someone interesting? There are a number of folks in that area w ties to the school, may not be their favorite team but a lot of folks have done a summer or a semester there then graduated elsewhere. They have upgraded their academics, the campus, and have a new stadium. Really don't understand the UH hate. It's not the 90s anymore.

Houston brought a huge crowd to Reliant when we played them in 2007. Maybe they don't draw a big following to play Tulane, ECU, or Colorado State, but what if they were actually playing someone interesting? There are a number of folks in that area w ties to the school, may not be their favorite team but a lot of folks have done a summer or a semester there then graduated elsewhere. They have upgraded their academics, the campus, and have a new stadium. Really don't understand the UH hate. It's not the 90s anymore.
I don’t hate them but question whether adding them further dilutes Texas recruiting and whether if we are stuck with this long term, adding another Texas team is the best way to go about increasing the profile of the conference.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
All good points. Not to mention proximity is still important to fans, the closer two schools are the better chance of a strong rivalry. Houston in the Big 12 makes a lot of sense and gives fans a drive able away game to a major metro area.

Eight

houston in their last three full seasons with attendance only broke 40K once and that was against wazzu of all teams at reliant in 2019

they never broke 30K in any of their home games on campus despite playing 4 ranked teams in houston. a big part of this is that houston, like the metroplex is an area that focuses first on the nfl. then you have the large number of texas, atm, and lsu alums and they are very similar to tcu in being down the list a bit when you are talking about priority among the media, fan focus etc..

they have done well when they have won, but in 2017-2019 when they struggled so did their attendance. they hosted tech in 2017 and drew 36K, but that isn't a great crowd when you consider the number of tech alums in houston as well as the fact houston has an enrollment of over 40K

they are trying, but i would be cautious to make the leap that if you bring better teams bigger crowds will follow. think i have heard that somewhere else and it hasn't played out that way.

Mean Purple

PAC-12 has it's issues, but expansion with leftover Big 12 schools doesn't really solve them, unfortunately. Who knows what happens in the distant future- things can and will change- but in the immediate future the remaining 8 have to make do with the cards dealt.
Just realized that those who don't visit the Pit may think my edgy response to your earlier post was a bit over the top. That's what they get for missing out on the Pit.

Spike

they are trying, but i would be cautious to make the leap that if you bring better teams bigger crowds will follow. think i have heard that somewhere else and it hasn't played out that way.

The powers that be ran off some good fans with the reseating and the +4, then upping prices after the awful 2016 team. The diehard crowd for TCU seems to stuck around 30K and the remainder are now occupied by visiting fans. To me it's like the 70s all over again. The powers that be don't seem to care that half the stadium is the wrong color as long as the seats are getting sold. I think that complacency is hurting us.

Spike

All good points. Not to mention proximity is still important to fans, the closer two schools are the better chance of a strong rivalry. Houston in the Big 12 makes a lot of sense and gives fans a drive able away game to a major metro area.

I would make that game most years. PAC or ACC, not so much.

Spike

houston in their last three full seasons with attendance only broke 40K once and that was against wazzu of all teams at reliant in 2019

they never broke 30K in any of their home games on campus despite playing 4 ranked teams in houston. a big part of this is that houston, like the metroplex is an area that focuses first on the nfl. then you have the large number of texas, atm, and lsu alums and they are very similar to tcu in being down the list a bit when you are talking about priority among the media, fan focus etc..

they have done well when they have won, but in 2017-2019 when they struggled so did their attendance. they hosted tech in 2017 and drew 36K, but that isn't a great crowd when you consider the number of tech alums in houston as well as the fact houston has an enrollment of over 40K

Interesting points. Thanks for sharing.

Putt4Purple

The Armed Forces Bowl 2 years ago here in Fort Worth. Army vs University of Houston. Houston representatives were the players, the band and a few fans which were primarily family and friends of the players and band. The Cougars got stomped. UH did not represent their College University. It was shameful. Where was the support? This is what your asking for when you invite the U. of H. Cougers to the Big 12. Think about it!!!

Last edited:

OmniscienceFrog

Good Lord! Houston adds nothing and detracts the Big 12. Houstonians will not watch the Cougars when UT, T A&M, LSU, OU, and other alumni who live in Houston and could care less about supporting UH when their teams are playing the same time and or day. The other three I agree with. Add Colorado St. Then you have a conference.
Colorado St ??????????

What do people see as a positive with Colorado St?

Yeah, I know, a weekend trip to Colorado every other year, maybe. Big whoop.