• The KillerFrogs

Big XII actively considering BYU

RangerUte

I know a whole bunch of you hate BYU. That's why they make the most sense to bring into the conference. That's what makes college football fun, the hate. Playing them means a good and rowdy crowd. They also bring in TV viewers, and that's what this conference needs most of all going forward. Boise does that too, but I worry about if they have a football drop off, you have a school in the middle of nowhere in your conference that doesn't add much. UCF , USF, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston are all viable candidates. The TV people will tell us who adds value.

I think you’re absolutely right. BYU cannot go to the PAC (Academics plus church affiliation) but their notoriety and nationwide fan base (basically any Mormon ward) make them an excellent choice. They would definitely add value to the conference, if not local liquor sales.

Froginbedford

Well if UH only had several hundred Cougars there, that would lead one to believe that Army fans brought a huge base, as it was the largest by far(almost sellout/44,700) of the previous some 20 previous bowls. So Army would be a much better candidate !!

Recall that Army used to be on conference schedule for TCU during the CUSA days....When the game was played here, soldiers from Fort Sill in Oklahoma created several hundred loud and vast quantities of food-consuming Old Army fans....

Virginia Frog

Correct. All our speculation over who will be added is a total waste of time. The TV suits will tell us who adds value. If they tell us to add the University of Afghanistan and N. Korea State then that's who will be added.
Better them than byu.
I understand that UofAfghanistan and NKSU are two of the great $values$ in affordable colleges today.

But once they become affiliated with TCU via athletic conference, they'll raise tuition & fees to similar astronomical levels a) "to compete" and b) rationalize it saying "we're leaving money on the table" as did the TCU administration 20 years ago. Jerks!:(

Spike

So you think people who took a summer course in micro economics would care about the football team? Hell, I graduated from University of North Texas after my parents cut me off at TCU and I don't give one rip about University of North Texas. Not sure if I even care to see University of North Texas.

When I was interning at the Denton DA a lot of the attorneys were Tech folks and they adopted University of North Texas as a second team. That was back in the Darrel Dickey Days (2000 to 2006 or so) when they were going to the New Orleans bowl every year and occasionally giving one of the big boys a hard time.

If UH wins they get more casual fans, if they don't, their die hard base is small. They did bring a ton of bodies to the 2007 Texas Bowl.

Spike

They can take their missions after their eligibility is over. No other conference members get two redshirt years. They need to be treated just like everyone else. They are not special. Except for their underwear.
There's a reason they are independent. No other P5 conferences will let them get away with this crap. If they can't comply then they stay independent.

Didn't we have a middle linebacker in the late 80s who was like 26? Lewellyn (sp?). What would you say to the Frogs who came in after playing minor league baseball or maybe a hitch in the military after high school?

While I may make fun of them I have no problem with BYU having older players.

Spike

Another prerequisite should be having an on campus dedicated football stadium, absolutely hate watching USF and Memphis play in quarter full stadiums not built for their programs, it’s bush league.

Houston has a gem, loved BYU and Boise when I was there. UCF and Cincy facilities are dedicated but I have idea if they provide a good fan experience.

Doesn't Memphis play in the Liberty Bowl? I think that's neat place.