• The KillerFrogs

2021 Frog Baseball (General)

Punter1

yesterday i was just looking over the frogs roster to see who might be coming back next year for the frogs and holy cow....porter brown is listed as a redshirt freshman this year after being granted an injury redshirt in 2019 and then granted an additional year with covid last season

this raises the question could porter brown become the rarmon flanigan of tcu baseball?

I contemplated starting a thread about this because with the shorter draft this year and the eligibility confusion due to covid last year...I have almost no idea who is coming back next year.

Eligibility is gone for sure. I think...

Hump
Shep
Russ
Wolfe
Henry
Wood
Green
King
D. Brown

Draft eligible who MIGHT/COULD leave...

Krob
Sikes
Sacco
Porter Brown
Kodros
Ray
Rodgers
Hill
Augie
Beethe

Moose could elaborate more but I'm not sure we will have anyone taken in this year's 20 round draft. Krob maybe? Beethe maybe because of his measurables and velocity??? Could potentially have the whole group back.

Purp

I contemplated starting a thread about this because with the shorter draft this year and the eligibility confusion due to covid last year...I have almost no idea who is coming back next year.

Eligibility is gone for sure. I think...

Hump
Shep
Russ
Wolfe
Henry
Wood
Green
King
D. Brown

Draft eligible who MIGHT/COULD leave...

Krob
Sikes
Sacco
Porter Brown
Kodros
Ray
Rodgers
Hill
Augie
Beethe

Moose could elaborate more but I'm not sure we will have anyone taken in this year's 20 round draft. Krob maybe? Beethe maybe because of his measurables and velocity??? Could potentially have the whole group back.
One thing about these draft eligible guys is that many are going to have more leverage than usual due to the corona year. Porter, for example, could realistically play 3 more years. I doubt that happens (it would cost him a small fortune well after he has a degree in hand), but it's not inconceivable that a lot of these guys return knowing they still have the same leverage in negotiating the following year.

Another factor you didn't mention is the restructuring of the minor leagues. I'm not sure how that will influence decisions either, but it feels like an advantage for the college game.

jake102

I'm pretty sure Russell Smith has eligibility remaining. Feels pretty likely he will get drafted and will leave, but I think he could come back.

Krob and Sikes are the two guys I'm most interested in.

hometown frog

I’m guessing we lose Russ and Sikes to the draft. As somebody else said both can come back but I don’t know if either would/should. Maybe somebody takes a flyer on Krob as well?

is Marcielo Perez eligible? Seems like we always get a flamethrower drafted out of the pen just on their velo alone. I could see Perez being that guy this year.

Moose Stuff

One thing about these draft eligible guys is that many are going to have more leverage than usual due to the corona year. Porter, for example, could realistically play 3 more years. I doubt that happens (it would cost him a small fortune well after he has a degree in hand), but it's not inconceivable that a lot of these guys return knowing they still have the same leverage in negotiating the following year.

Another factor you didn't mention is the restructuring of the minor leagues. I'm not sure how that will influence decisions either, but it feels like an advantage for the college game.

I wouldn’t say they have more leverage. MLB teams value age more than ever and 23 year old college guys aren’t that attractive to anyone. Yeah, they might get drafted but the bonus is gonna be minimal.

Moose Stuff

I’m guessing we lose Russ and Sikes to the draft. As somebody else said both can come back but I don’t know if either would/should. Maybe somebody takes a flyer on Krob as well?

is Marcielo Perez eligible? Seems like we always get a flamethrower drafted out of the pen just on their velo alone. I could see Perez being that guy this year.

On this team it’s far easier to list the guys that AREN’T eligible…. Nunez, Taylor, Boyers, Ridings, Meador, Wright, Savage…. Among guys that made more than just a very minimal impact that’s it.

Purp

I wouldn’t say they have more leverage. MLB teams value age more than ever and 23 year old college guys aren’t that attractive to anyone. Yeah, they might get drafted but the bonus is gonna be minimal.
Interesting. I figured fewer minor league outlets would result in MLB clubs more interested in kids that were more battle tested with less downside. But from your comment I'm gathering they've gone the other direction and become even more interested in the younger kids with higher upside?

Sounds like the organizational/personnel equivalent to the modern collective approach at the plate. Go big or go home. Not much room on MLB rosters anymore for guys who just get on base and don't drive in runs. It's like they'd rather wait 5 years for a 40 HR kid batting .230 to get his average up to .260 than ride a 5 HR kid who hits .300 and hardly ever strikes out. It's made MLB baseball a lot harder to watch for me in recent year. I think the first time I noticed it was when Ian Kinsler transitioned from the high average and on base guy to the power hitter/infield fly guy over a couple seasons and everyone seemed to celebrate it. It's maddening.

But I digress. I find it fascinating that MLB clubs sound like they're taking more risk than ever before, but maybe that's a byproduct of the kinds of kids high school and tournament teams are producing nowadays?

Moose Stuff

Interesting. I figured fewer minor league outlets would result in MLB clubs more interested in kids that were more battle tested with less downside. But from your comment I'm gathering they've gone the other direction and become even more interested in the younger kids with higher upside?

Sounds like the organizational/personnel equivalent to the modern collective approach at the plate. Go big or go home. Not much room on MLB rosters anymore for guys who just get on base and don't drive in runs. It's like they'd rather wait 5 years for a 40 HR kid batting .230 to get his average up to .260 than ride a 5 HR kid who hits .300 and hardly ever strikes out. It's made MLB baseball a lot harder to watch for me in recent year. I think the first time I noticed it was when Ian Kinsler transitioned from the high average and on base guy to the power hitter/infield fly guy over a couple seasons and everyone seemed to celebrate it. It's maddening.

But I digress. I find it fascinating that MLB clubs sound like they're taking more risk than ever before, but maybe that's a byproduct of the kinds of kids high school and tournament teams are producing nowadays?

MLB clubs are always gonna value talent and upside over “safe” players unless that safe player is also very talented.

Expanding on the age thing…. the SEC pitcher of the year is 24 1/2 years old. The current consensus top minor league pitching prospect in all of baseball is already dominating AA at age 20. Which one would you rather have?

I will add however that the age thing applies more to a 21 year old college kid being more appealing than a 23 year old college kid. It doesn’t necessarily apply to an 18 year old HS kid being more attractive than a 21 year old college kid.

Last edited:

Eight

Because all things considered equal a younger player is more valuable than an older player for obvious reasons. I can name dozens of current good big leaguers that are younger than Haylen Green for example.

so mlb teams are not interested in college players with mortgages

flyfishingfrog

My assumption is the backlog of guys in college because of the extra year and the short draft last year along with less spots in the minors means the teams have the most leverage not the players