• The KillerFrogs

2021 Frog Baseball (General)

tcumaniac

Possible huge development.

When I first saw this, I got him confused with Jacob Meador thinking Riley was the one that transferred to DBU, and was thinking to myself, "damn."

I had almost entirely forgotten about Riley, but after refreshing my memory, I was reminded how good he looked at the start of 2020 as a freshmen, yet barely made an appearance last season.

Hopefully he's corrected any issues he was dealing with and becomes a big time contributor in 2022.

flyfishingfrog

Arkansas wasn’t a baseball member in the SWC when I was at TCU…
ok....

was there a point to your statement?

Assume you were at TCU pre-1977 or after they left for the SEC then.

One of the guys who played baseball back before the SWC tournament started in 1977 can probably provide details around how a team made the "post-season" and what the Road to Omaha looked like.

But if I recall Arkansas was playing baseball as part of the SWC by 1977 - the first year we had a tournament that provided an autobid for the champion to the post-season. No idea if that was the year they "joined" the conference for baseball or not but guessing it might have had something to do with it.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
ok....

One of the guys who played baseball back before the SWC tournament started in 1977 can probably provide details around how a team made the "post-season" and what the Road to Omaha looked like.

But if I recall Arkansas was playing baseball as part of the SWC by 1977 - the first year we had a tournament that provided an autobid for the champion to the post-season. No idea if that was the year they "joined" the conference for baseball or not but guessing it might have had something to do with it.

Arkansas was a member of the SWC 1915-16 thru 1990-91.

Available (i.e. google records) indicate the Razorbacks have fielded baseball teams during that entire span with the following exceptions: 1898-1900; 1904; 1906; 1907; 1917; 1918; 1921; and 1930-1946.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Arkansas was a member of the SWC 1915-16 thru 1990-91.

Available (i.e. google records) indicate the Razorbacks have fielded baseball teams during that entire span with the following exceptions: 1898-1900; 1904; 1906; 1907; 1917; 1918; 1921; and 1930-1946.

Yes, they were a member of the SWC and they did field baseball teams the entire time, but as an independent until 1974.

1973 schedule-
https://gofrogs.com/sports/baseball/schedule/1973

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
ok....

They were an independent until 74.

No point, just an aside, apparently not a very interesting one I guess.

Yes, pre 77, 76, 75…

flyfishingfrog

They were an independent until 74.

No point, just an aside, apparently not a very interesting one I guess.

Yes, pre 77, 76, 75…
actually I think it is interesting - would like to hear from someone that played baseball back before 1977 when the SWC tournament first started and gave the champion an auto-bid.

How did teams get selected for post season? was it AP vote/ranking like or a beauty contest because as you said - several teams seemed to have been independent back until the late 70's even though the CWS started back in the 40's.

So there had to be a path to get there as an independent or schools would have joined a conference sooner.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
actually I think it is interesting - would like to hear from someone that played baseball back before 1977 when the SWC tournament first started and gave the champion an auto-bid.

How did teams get selected for post season? was it AP vote/ranking like or a beauty contest because as you said - several teams seemed to have been independent back until the late 70's even though the CWS started back in the 40's.

So there had to be a path to get there as an independent or schools would have joined a conference sooner.

The country was divided into districts and teams were selected their districts starting in 54.

In 71 we tied with UT for the SWC title. Bridgers, the former Baylor AD flipped a coin in Waco on a conference call with Windegger and Gustafson. I don’t have to tell you who won that toss…

From 1947 through 1974, the NCAA Tournament was divided into static geographic districts. Each district would send a representative to the College World Series.

• In 1947, the eight representatives played in two sets of single elimination playoffs, with only the two winners advancing to the College World Series in Kalamazoo.
  • In 1948, the eight representatives played in two sets of double elimination playoffs, with only the two winners advancing to the College World Series in Kalamazoo.
  • In 1949, the eight representatives played in four sets of best-of-three series, with only the four winners advancing to the College World Series in Wichita.
  • From 1950 through 1953, the eight representatives all advanced to the College World Series in Omaha, but the participants in various district playoffs and tournaments are not considered to have been part of the NCAA Tournament.
  • From 1954 through 1974, each district selected its representative either by committee, or after a district tournament consisting of 2 to 6 teams. Any team that participated in a district tournament is considered to have played in the NCAA Tournament.

Last edited:

froglash88

Not sure where to place this, but hopefully some future frogballers:

Watching the 13U Perfect Game Select Festival

My son’s 14u Florida Pokers teammate Manny Lantigua is pitching (plays up with us). Fastball was 87 mph and slider 80. Amazing for 13 years old!

It’s at the university of Oklahoma

It says it’s on CBS. But I’m watching on PerfectGame.tv