• The KillerFrogs

2019 MLB Thread

Purp

I'm not going to lie, before the season started I thought we had no chance of even sniffing the playoffs. I thought we would be so far in last place that I'd be counting down the days to football already. Woodward deserves alot of credit.
I didn't expect last place, but I didn't expect better than .500. I figured there were too many question marks, especially in the rotation with so many guys coming off of major recent injuries, to expect more than that.

A guy at work this week gave me credit for predicting their success this season, but he misunderstood me or forgot what I said. My only point was that there was enough talent to do really well this year. We'd definitely score a lot of runs and the defense should be pretty good. But the pitching worried me b/c the talent was hard to rely on given the injury history. But if the stars aligned it could be a good year.

It looks like the stars are aligning so far.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
I didn't expect last place, but I didn't expect better than .500. I figured there were too many question marks, especially in the rotation with so many guys coming off of major recent injuries, to expect more than that.

A guy at work this week gave me credit for predicting their success this season, but he misunderstood me or forgot what I said. My only point was that there was enough talent to do really well this year. We'd definitely score a lot of runs and the defense should be pretty good. But the pitching worried me b/c the talent was hard to rely on given the injury history. But if the stars aligned it could be a good year.

It looks like the stars are aligning so far.

I knew we would score runs, but didn't think the pitching would hold up. I wasn't really excited about the Lance Lynn signing but he's proved to be a great pickup and Minor has been way better than I thought he would be.

MTfrog5

I knew we would score runs, but didn't think the pitching would hold up. I wasn't really excited about the Lance Lynn signing but he's proved to be a great pickup and Minor has been way better than I thought he would be.
If we somehow get another starter via trade that will be a pretty good top 3. Kind of conflicted trading some of our key young pieces for someone this year though even with the pitcher having multiple years of control left.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
If we somehow get another starter via trade that will be a pretty good top 3. Kind of conflicted trading some of our key young pieces for someone this year though even with the pitcher having multiple years of control left.
I'm ok with trading some young guys away as long as whoever we get in return has a couple of years left on their contract. Don't waste anybody on a rental.

MTfrog5

I'm ok with trading some young guys away as long as whoever we get in return has a couple of years left on their contract. Don't waste anybody on a rental.
Don’t think JD will do many rentals unless we are truly one player away or already best team and would make us really deep. Dempster trade is one of the few bad ones he’s made

Ron Swanson

I'm pretty sure he is being serious. I agree with him that it was an impressive record and one of the more unlikely to be broken after the steroid era ended, but not on the same level of near impossible that CGs, Wins, Doubles, Ks, etc. are.

I think he really believes that record was on the same level, though. Given the way the game has shifted toward generating runs with power over manufacturing them with BA, OBP, and speed added to the recent decline of effective relief pitching due to over-use (see the article posted earlier) I'm not so sure the Yankees won't see their new record snapped reasonably soon either.
If I had to go and pick any of the all-time records that I thought were most likely to be broken, the number of games in a row that a team hit a HR mark of 28 would have been near the very top of the list.

FBallFan123

Gave up a lead-off hit to start the 6th, with Belt, who hit the earlier HR, coming back up.

We’ll see what kind of leash Young has here...around 70 pitches.

Action in the bullpen.