• The KillerFrogs

2019 MLB Thread

There’s some pretty ridiculous records for inside the park homeruns, number of times stealing home, and triples as well.

Number of complete games is the most ridiculous one though. If I remember correctly, Cy Young had like 600+ CGs in his career.

Yeah, but people said that about the most consecutive game with a homerun by a team until the 2019 Yankees came calling.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
It is kinda remarkable. They've homered in 29 straight games counting today.

The stadium they're playing in in London this weekend is only 385ft to centerfield so you'd have to think they're going to keep that streak going for at least the next couple of games

Ron Swanson

Keep in mind the Astros have been missing the former AL MVP (Altuve), WS MVP (Springer), and 1st pick in the 1st round (Correa) for the last month or so.

Been patching together the lineup with a bunch of call-ups

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Keep in mind the Astros have been missing the former AL MVP (Altuve), WS MVP (Springer), and 1st pick in the 1st round (Correa) for the last month or so.

Rangers have the same problem. Been without Gallo and Pence for most of June. Gallo just came back Tuesday and Pence won't be back until at least next week.

Purp

Rangers have the same problem. Been without Gallo and Pence for most of June. Gallo just came back Tuesday and Pence won't be back until at least next week.

Was going to say the same thing as bmoney said. This is shaping up to be an entertaining pennant race. The division has had a transformation in June going from only 1 team over .500 to only 1 team below .500. It may not just be down to the Rangers and Astros as the Angels have also gotten hot. The better play throughout the division will keep the race tighter at the top too.

Bmoney is right; a solid closer and another starter at the deadline could be the missing pieces the Rangers need. I'd add another set-up type arm in the pen too, but they're definitely way closer than I expected them to be this year. Houston will be tough to beat when they get healthy too.

Purp

I really can’t tell if you’re being serious.
I'm pretty sure he is being serious. I agree with him that it was an impressive record and one of the more unlikely to be broken after the steroid era ended, but not on the same level of near impossible that CGs, Wins, Doubles, Ks, etc. are.

I think he really believes that record was on the same level, though. Given the way the game has shifted toward generating runs with power over manufacturing them with BA, OBP, and speed added to the recent decline of effective relief pitching due to over-use (see the article posted earlier) I'm not so sure the Yankees won't see their new record snapped reasonably soon either.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
but they're definitely way closer than I expected them to be this year.

I'm not going to lie, before the season started I thought we had no chance of even sniffing the playoffs. I thought we would be so far in last place that I'd be counting down the days to football already. Woodward deserves alot of credit.