• The KillerFrogs

2017 Baseball Season Thread

GeoFrog

GoFrog Yourself said:
Tickets are up for the Shriner's Hospital Houston College Classic:
http://houston.astros.mlb.com/hou/ticketing/college_classic.jsp

FWIW: looks like they're extending the seating this year, as the Crawford boxes (Left Field) are open for GA. Should be a huge turnout with Aggy, LSU, and Ole Miss bringing their fans. I hope Tech makes a good showing after their CWS run last year, and darn Baylor.

Right now there's tickets for sale in the premium seats behind home plate. Don't remember that being an option last year. 
Friday, March 3, 2017, 7:05 pm vs. LSU
Saturday, March 4, 2017, 7:05 pm vs. A&M
Sunday, March 5, 2017, 1:35 pm vs. Ole Miss

Well, damn! For personal reasons, I was hoping we were the middle game on Saturday vs. A&M. Should be able to make Friday night and hopefully Sunday, however.

ftwfrog

Darn. Did I miss the chance to buy parking? I've gone back & forth but have recently decided to try and get a spot. Explaining to the wife that we need to go to the game instead of some other [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] plans she'll have will be easier to convince if i use the "don't want the parking spot to go to waste"

TCUdirtbag

ftwfrog said:
Darn. Did I miss the chance to buy parking? I've gone back & forth but have recently decided to try and get a spot. Explaining to the wife that we need to go to the game instead of some other (El Toro Waste) plans she'll have will be easier to convince if i use the "don't want the parking spot to go to waste"
since Friday was he renewal deadline im sure you can call Monday AM and still get a spot

TCUdirtbag

Sounds like Nick Lodolo and Charles King are both legitimately pushing for spots in the weekend rotation.  Along with top returners Traver, Janczak and Howard.  (And here's your reminder Baker won't be pitching). 

Lodolo's shot is very real as he's the only lefty in that bunch.  I think Howard has to be a near lock, too.  Things could really get interesting, though.  My guess is we wind up with a Howard-Lodolo-Traver rotation, but I wouldn't count Janczak or King out at all. 

I wonder if Janczak could work into a Teakell-like role for us in '17. We could really use that, especially without Trieglaff (though I have a lot of faith in Burnett, Wymer and Feltman and realize we have a bunch of other pitchers on the roster). 

It's getting so close.  Think we're at least another week away from much preseason coverage from D1, BA and PG, though.  Anyone know when spring workouts start? 

Punter1

TCUdirtbag said:
Sounds like Nick Lodolo and Charles King are both legitimately pushing for spots in the weekend rotation.  Along with top returners Traver, Janczak and Howard.  (And here's your reminder Baker won't be pitching). 

Lodolo's shot is very real as he's the only lefty in that bunch.  I think Howard has to be a near lock, too.  Things could really get interesting, though.  My guess is we wind up with a Howard-Lodolo-Traver rotation, but I wouldn't count Janczak or King out at all. 

I wonder if Janczak could work into a Teakell-like role for us in '17. We could really use that, especially without Trieglaff (though I have a lot of faith in Burnett, Wymer and Feltman and realize we have a bunch of other pitchers on the roster). 

It's getting so close.  Think we're at least another week away from much preseason coverage from D1, BA and PG, though.  Anyone know when spring workouts start? 
Dalton Horton is also a lefty who pitched on the weekends for us and was 8-0 with a sub 2.60 Era. He has to be in any starting weekend rotation conversation.

TCUdirtbag

Punter1 said:
Dalton Horton is also a lefty who pitched on the weekends for us and was 8-0 with a sub 2.60 Era. He has to be in any starting weekend rotation conversation.
You're right. 2nd team all big 12, too.

He's got good stuff. Just got buried a little bit late as Janczak got hot.

Sand Frog

TCUdirtbag said:
(And here's your reminder Baker won't be pitching)

Curious, but what drove the decision on Baker?  He seemed to have the potential for pretty elite stuff on the hill.

I believe I read the reason he came to college and didn't sign a major league contract out of high school was he wasn't sure if he wanted to pitch or hit.  Just wondering if the decision was finally made he was better at the plate than on the mound and decided to focus on that?

pgdaly84

Sand Frog said:

Curious, but what drove the decision on Baker?  He seemed to have the potential for pretty elite stuff on the hill.

I believe I read the reason he came to college and didn't sign a major league contract out of high school was he wasn't sure if he wanted to pitch or hit.  Just wondering if the decision was finally made he was better at the plate than on the mound and decided to focus on that?
I would guess that he and the staff got some opinions from scouts, etc., and the consensus was probably that he has a higher ceiling as a hitter. Plus, the injury from last year probably nudged our coaches in that direction. We have guys who can replace or exceed his production on the mound, not so much at the plate.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Moose Stuff said:
I think it's safe to assume that the injury is the main (if not only) factor involved in the decision.

I don't think that had much to do, if anything with  the decision.

It was more about what his best chance for success at the next level might be.

Could be wrong

Moose Stuff

wes said:

I don't think that had much to do, if anything with  the decision.

It was more about what his best chance for success at the next level might be.

Could be wrong
Continuing to pitch in college (assuming he's healthy) isn't gonna hinder his future as a pro hitter. He stopped pitching when he got hurt and hasn't pitched since. I think it's pretty safe to say that if he hadn't gotten hurt he'd still be pitching. And I agree that his future is more promising as a hitter but again that's not a reason to just stop pitching IMO, especially considering he was pretty good at it. Arguably the best player in the country (and a lock to be a first round draft) is Brendan McKay at Louisville and he excels at both.

tcumaniac

I didn't play baseball beyond middle school, because at the time, I found it so boring.

I've since grown to love and appreciate the game much more than I did growing up, but man, I feel like it would get so frustrating only being a DH. I mean it's just crazy to me that argually our best player only makes it into the game 4ish times a game. Granted, I think dirtbag mentioned Baker may play some first base this year.  

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Moose Stuff said:
Continuing to pitch in college (assuming he's healthy) isn't gonna hinder his future as a pro hitter. He stopped pitching when he got hurt and hasn't pitched since. I think it's pretty safe to say that if he hadn't gotten hurt he'd still be pitching. And I agree that his future is more promising as a hitter but again that's not a reason to just stop pitching IMO, especially considering he was pretty good at it. Arguably the best player in the country (and a lock to be a first round draft) is Brendan McKay at Louisville and he excels at both.

I'm just going with what I was told by a coach

However, I yield to your greater knowledge of the topic

Pharm Frog

tcumaniac said:
I didn't play baseball beyond middle school, because at the time, I found it so boring.

I've since grown to love and appreciate the game much more than I did growing up, but man, I feel like it would get so frustrating only being a DH. I mean it's just crazy to me that argually our best player only makes it into the game 4ish times a game. Granted, I think dirtbag mentioned Baker may play some first base this year.  

Good catch. It takes a special mindset to be a good DH. I can tell you that my son did not have it in high school but he better start learning it this year in college it appears. He batted over .350 points higher in high school when he was catching, 1B, or P than when he was the DH. (But he also hit over .150 points higher with more extra-base hits at 0-2 than 2-0 so maybe he's just weird).

It didn't appear that LB had any difficulty at all adjusting to the DH-only role last year. CW had no problem DH-ing in the freshman season. I would like to see LB get time at 1B this season.

Moose Stuff

wes said:

I'm just going with what I was told by a coach

However, I yield to your greater knowledge of the topic
I'm just speculating. And I'd be wary of anything the staff had to say about this. They're gonna protect the player at all costs (and rightfully so) so it's unlikely that they're gonna openly discuss an injury and its impact on a player.