• The KillerFrogs

2017 Baseball Season Thread

Pharm Frog

H-Town Frog said:
Most assume Brown as leadoff, but I wouldn't be so quick to take Austen Wade out of that spot.

Options galore and lots of room to position hot bats. How would you like to be a right-handed starter and face Brown then Wanhanen then Skoug then Baker then Watson then Wade and you see Barz hanging out on deck? If I were the opposing manager I might be inclined to start the RH and have a lefty already hot in the pen....just kidding but not by a whole lot.

Sand Frog

2016 Barz had 14 stolen bases and Wade had 13.  In 2015 Brown had 19 with Cody having 33.  Last year I don't think TCU had anyone that really put pressure on a defense like Cody did when he reached base.  I think Brown can do that.  Dane did a good job in center, but there were lots of balls I think Brown runs down Dane couldn't get to.  As long as he's healthy, Browns legs bring a lot of upside to defense and offense.

SuperBarrFrog

Is Baker giving up on pitching altogether? I read he was gonna focus on hitting this year, but he seemed pretty awesome when he got pitch last year.

Pharm Frog

SuperBarrFrog said:
Is Baker giving up on pitching altogether? I read he was gonna focus on hitting this year, but he seemed pretty awesome when he got pitch last year.

Heard that he may give up pitching and turn that attention to field goal kicking during innings that he isn't DH-ing. Seriously, I think its too early to tell what the future holds for him in the mound v batter box debate.

Purp

Punter1 said:
Dalton Horton is also a lefty who pitched on the weekends for us and was 8-0 with a sub 2.60 Era. He has to be in any starting weekend rotation conversation.
TCUdirtbag said:
You're right. 2nd team all big 12, too.

He's got good stuff. Just got buried a little bit late as Janczak got hot.
Dalton was great for about 6 weeks last year, but like LB, he didn't seem to go very deep into games.  He also pitched mostly midweek games IIRC.  I think that because I remember sitting behind his family at a couple night games so that means they were either Tuesday or Friday.  Nevertheless, he had his mysterious off-field issue that somebody here rumored to be a girlfriend issue (don't know if that was ever substantiated), but then he never seemed to regain form.  If he can get back to the type of consistency he had during that stretch he'll be another excellent option.

pgdaly84 said:
One of the bigger subplots going into the season, IMO. He was awesome his freshman year and equally terrible last year. If he can bounce back to freshman form then this lineup becomes ridiculous.
I think CW had some injury issues early and then had a slump get in his head after he tried to come back.  Those issues at the plate were compounded by defensive struggles.  The fact that Landestoy filled in so admirably for him both defensively and at the plate added even more pressure to him.  I'm hoping the time off to clear his head, refocus, and play ball free and easy will be good for him.  If it isn't I'm confident we'll have somebody who can step in a play well defensively and produce between his freshman and sophomore form.

TAINTed frog

Purp said:
He's my 2 hole hitter.
giphy.gif

ftwfrog

Ron Swanson said:
Cam Warner really came on late last year and Schloss seemed real high on his offense. Wouldn't be shocked if he was somewhere at the top of the lineup.
Dammit. Warner, Watson, Wanhannen. I get confused.

cdsfrog

Sand Frog said:
not sure you put Barz in the 2 hole.  If CW is back to freshman form put him there and Barz in the 5 hole.
Huge if. Better to wait it out and see. I sure hope so though. We get him anywhere near that level and we will be dominant hitting and pitching wise. This year is gonna be so much fun even with high expectations. So loaded

Ron Swanson

cdsfrog said:
Huge if. Better to wait it out and see. I sure hope so though. We get him anywhere near that level and we will be dominant hitting and pitching wise. This year is gonna be so much fun even with high expectations. So loaded
I'm already envisioning your meltdown when things don't go as planned

Latest posts