• The KillerFrogs

2017 Baseball Season Thread

FrogsMcGee

Don't think I have seen it in this thread, but I saw dirtbag post in another thread that they are selling the baseball/soccer lot for season parking this year?  How much are they asking?  Will it just be part of the lot or the whole thing?

That's the best area to tailgate, but it doesn't make sense for me to buy a season parking pass when I'll only be in town for a few series this year.  Hope they don't kill a really good tailgate atmosphere with this.

Fully acknowledge that I can park across the street and still use the grass, but still....

TCUdirtbag

FrogsMcGee said:
Don't think I have seen it in this thread, but I saw dirtbag post in another thread that they are selling the baseball/soccer lot for season parking this year?  How much are they asking?  Will it just be part of the lot or the whole thing?

That's the best area to tailgate, but it doesn't make sense for me to buy a season parking pass when I'll only be in town for a few series this year.  Hope they don't kill a really good tailgate atmosphere with this.

Fully acknowledge that I can park across the street and still use the grass, but still....
$300 for the season--GA for the lot. It's lot "13W," so that small part by soccer may still be open for free. But that could be the handicap or operations/game staff parking--not sure.

I get that it's a revenue source. $10/game isn't bad but seeing it as a single $300 season expense seems steep. I'd expect lots of empty spots and some frustration in 2017 followed by a lot more people paying for parking in 2018.

Purp

FrogsMcGee said:

I saw the same thing and had the same question. I don't like how that sounds.

flyfishingfrog

Purp said:
I saw the same thing and had the same question. I don't like how that sounds.

My guess is since it is not assigned parking is that they will sell as many season spaces as they can and then sell the remainder on a game by game basis.

But we will see.

I signed up for it but I am a little skeptical.

​I never got a reserved spot in the initial lot because I actually kind of liked parking on the dirt lot.

But now that Victor converted it to intramural fields, parking has been a pain in the ass.

So I was excited to have an option for a parking spot - but generally when TCU does a pay for it but don't have a specific spot concept it tends to become a cluster.

What are they going to do when only 1/3 of the lot is full for a game in the 3rd inning - sell the rest or hold the spots for those that paid?

TCUdirtbag

flyfishingfrog said:
My guess is since it is not assigned parking is that they will sell as many season spaces as they can and then sell the remainder on a game by game basis.

But we will see.

​I never got a reserved spot in the initial lot because I actually kind of liked parking on the dirt lot.

But now that Victor converted it to intramural fields, parking has been a pain in the [Art Briles].

So I was excited to have an option for a parking spot - but generally when TCU does a pay for it but don't have a specific spot concept it tends to become a cluster.

What are they going to do when only 1/3 of the lot is full for a game in the 3rd inning - sell the rest or hold the spots for those that paid?
Hold it because people will pay next year. (This is part true, the other part is you have to hold it a little while for people coming from work etc on Tuesdays and fridays and church on Sundays and plus even if they open it up after 3 innings how many people actually show up then?). They'll sell more season parking in February and March once people realize what the deal is too.

Schloss is he highest paid coach in the county now. That don't come cheap. They need the revenue.

Brace yourself because if basketball starts winning and they sell out season tickets, then basketball parking is only a few years behind.

flyfishingfrog

TCUdirtbag said:
Hold it because people will pay next year. (This is part true, the other part is you have to hold it a little while for people coming from work etc on Tuesdays and fridays and church on Sundays and plus even if they open it up after 3 innings how many people actually show up then?). They'll sell more season parking in February and March once people realize what the deal is too.

Schloss is he highest paid coach in the county now. That don't come cheap. They need the revenue.

Brace yourself because if basketball starts winning and they sell out season tickets, then basketball parking is only a few years behind.

I am with you on that - basketball parking is really going to be worse than football

I can see them charging a premium for the west lots and letting you come in the back door , etc.

What I do know is that baseball parking will be even worse for those that don't have access to that new lot since in theory that is going to be another 100+ cars that have to park on the street (I guess we could be optimistic that they will take the shuttle from the football lots) when a bunch of season tix holders buy them but only go to 1/3 of the games during the regular season so the lot is largely empty.

But on the good side - it will give Maniac something else to witch about...

Purp

flyfishingfrog said:

But we will see.

But now that Victor converted it to intramural fields, parking has been a pain in the [Art Briles].

Yeah, I'm in a wait and see mode on this as well.  I won't buy the season spot unless I have to.  I expect we should make close to half of the games this year, but we've got a baby due in early March so I may be a little ambitious with that projection.  We'll see.  I just don't want to drop $300 for season parking when I can get it on an as needed basis throughout the season and likely can't get my money's worth out of it.

Purp

Ron Swanson said:
I believe that was Father's Day?

I was over at my parent's house watching that game with my dad and nephews, and my nephews think baseball is boring (they like soccer and basketball mostly). I went absolutely nuts when Baker hit that ball and I think they started to understand how baseball might be exciting.
The bond over baseball is pretty special.  If your nephews become baseball geeks they'll appreciate you for it forever.  

TCUdirtbag

Purp said:
Yeah, I'm in a wait and see mode on this as well.  I won't buy the season spot unless I have to.  I expect we should make close to half of the games this year, but we've got a baby due in early March so I may be a little ambitious with that projection.  We'll see.  I just don't want to drop $300 for season parking when I can get it on an as needed basis throughout the season and likely can't get my money's worth out of it.
We are moving to FW in April and I didn't add parking so our GA ticket renewal for the same reason (wait and see). I will say though, that if I'd dropped $300 and they started letting people in for free I'd be pissed. So I'd at least understand why. On the flip side, I'm not too concerned about neighborhood parking. If there was enough space for the 7k plus at each A&M super in the neighborhoods, then there's enough parking in the neighborhoods for regular season games. Thy should probably make the outfield gate into a more noticeable stadium entry though.

Purp

TCUdirtbag said:
We are moving to FW in April and I didn't add parking so our GA ticket renewal for the same reason (wait and see). I will say though, that if I'd dropped $300 and they started letting people in for free I'd be pissed.
Maybe I misread your post, but I gathered that the lot would still be open for GA parking at a rate of $10 per game.  Is that not correct?

Sand Frog

TCUdirtbag said:
We are moving to FW in April and I didn't add parking so our GA ticket renewal for the same reason (wait and see). I will say though, that if I'd dropped $300 and they started letting people in for free I'd be pissed.

Ditto, but I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the parking.  With two small kids we were either way early to the game or making it in the 3rd/4th.  Arriving late with small kids sucked for parking.

TCUdirtbag

Purp said:
Maybe I misread your post, but I gathered that the lot would still be open for GA parking at a rate of $10 per game.  Is that not correct?
No, sorry. That was confusing. My understanding, which could well be wrong, is that it's season parking only. That was just the math of the approximate value (around 30 home games, so $300/30 is $10/game)

TCUdirtbag

Sand Frog said:
Ditto, but I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the parking.  With two small kids we were either way early to the game or making it in the 3rd/4th.  Arriving late with small kids sucked for parking.
Makes sense. If you go enough, knowing you can always roll into that lot and have a spot would be nice. If I was going to be in FW all season I'd probably do the same.

Sand Frog

TCUdirtbag said:
Makes sense. If you go enough, knowing you can always roll into that lot and have a spot would be nice. If I was going to be in FW all season I'd probably do the same.

That's my dilemma.  I bought GA season tickets last year.  The kids loved it, but I'll have to add two more this year for them.  Not sure how much use we will get out of the 4 tickets.  I also have access to seats right behind home plate when my friend and his family don't come into town for a game.  He could probably add seats for me, but I don't get PPs that way either nor feel like I'm contributing since my education was paid for with an athletic scholarship.

Punter1

Ron Swanson said:
I believe that was Father's Day?

I was over at my parent's house watching that game with my dad and nephews, and my nephews think baseball is boring (they like soccer and basketball mostly). I went absolutely nuts when Baker hit that ball and I think they started to understand how baseball might be exciting.
It was Father's Day...I got a hall pass because of it and was watching from the 19th hole at Pebble Beach. Life was pretty darning good that day.

atofrog

Contributor
Sorry for being fashionably late to the discussion... :smile:

Due to high demand for more season parking, especially after adding the GA season ticket last year, Lot 13 (between baseball and soccer) was added as a season parking option for the 2017 baseball season.  The donation price is $300 and the lot will be "general" or first-come, first-served, not individually reserved spaces like Lot 14 (baseball/tennis lot).

As expected, this lot is filling up fast.  As of this post, we have less than 30 spaces remaining.  We anticipate the entire lot, including the area nearest to soccer, to be sold out for the season.  In other words, no single game parking available in this lot.  So if you are on the bubble as some have mentioned, I would suggest purchasing a season pass now before it is too late.  Might be difficult to add on later this season or next.

Thanks for your support and see you at Lupton Stadium soon!

Go Frogs!

Purp

atofrog said:
Sorry for being fashionably late to the discussion... :smile:

Due to high demand for more season parking, especially after adding the GA season ticket last year, Lot 13 (between baseball and soccer) was added as a season parking option for the 2017 baseball season.  The donation price is $300 and the lot will be "general" or first-come, first-served, not individually reserved spaces like Lot 14 (baseball/tennis lot).

As expected, this lot is filling up fast.  As of this post, we have less than 30 spaces remaining.  We anticipate the entire lot, including the area nearest to soccer, to be sold out for the season.  In other words, no single game parking available in this lot.  So if you are on the bubble as some have mentioned, I would suggest purchasing a season pass now before it is too late.  Might be difficult to add on later this season or next.

Thanks for your support and see you at Lupton Stadium soon!

Go Frogs!
Bummer.  I understand the reasons for doing this, but the unfortunate reality here is that the lot will be less than half full for nearly every game and will complicate tailgating for those that didn't get this memo in time now.  I may take the plunge on season parking now.  I expected there to be enough empty spots every game that I'd still be able to pay for a spot each game.  That clearly isn't going to happen though.

Pharm Frog

Purp said:
Bummer.  I understand the reasons for doing this, but the unfortunate reality here is that the lot will be less than half full for nearly every game and will complicate tailgating for those that didn't get this memo in time now.  I may take the plunge on season parking now.  I expected there to be enough empty spots every game that I'd still be able to pay for a spot each game.  That clearly isn't going to happen though.

That's what they want you to do...  Don't give up so easily and pay for what you won't use to the fullest extent of your investment. You gotta fight back against the machine!  :smile: