• The KillerFrogs

2012 Updates (updated)

West Coast Johnny

Apparently Mario Edwards Jr just committed to FSU

Bad news for TCU that the best D-End in the state is going to Florida. It means that Devonte Fields probably gets an offer from the Whorns and the tallent pool gets a little more shallow. After Fields, we need to start looking at guys like Victor Irokansi or Taiwan Johnson. Devall, if he does committ to TCU is more like a linebacker than a d-end.

Taiwan Johnson is intreguing and is getting looks from Big 12 & SEC teams.

West Coast Johnny

Devall is already almost 240 lbs according to Rivals, I can't think of a time we took a guy who ended up at LB who was that size coming out of HS.

You could be right, but he looks like our prototypical DE prospect to me.

You could be right. He's one of those LB / D-End hybrids that is so much in demand right now - and unfortunately for us, perfect in a 3 - 4 scheme.

Genbukan

DE is one spot that I am not worried about at all. LHCGP has shown that he can get All Conference and All American performance out of high school RB's (Blake and Hughes), LB's (Ortiz), Safeties (Panfil) and DE's (the Schobels).

DT and CB's are much harder to get, IMHO.

Houston Frog

DE is one spot that I am not worried about at all. LHCGP has shown that he can get All Conference and All American performance out of high school RB's (Blake and Hughes), LB's (Ortiz), Safeties (Panfil) and DE's (the Schobels).

DT and CB's are much harder to get, IMHO.

This is all true, but despite that, we've had more success recruiting CBs and DTs in these last two classes than we have DEs.

Genbukan

This is all true, but despite that, we've had more success recruiting CBs and DTs in these last two classes than we have DEs.

Lets give the new guys a chance. I'm excited about the potential of Blake Roberts (another former LB), Austin Terry and Murphy. And we haven't even mentioned that Matt Anderson - a high school RB/S played extensive minutes as a true freshman. McFarland is going to be REAL good.

We'd all love to land a Mario Edwards, Javonte McGhee, Jemario Rasco and especially a Reggie Wilson - I just think, for whatever reason, that LOHCGP's defense relies on DE skills that are not prototypical for the position.

Houston Frog

Lets give the new guys a chance. I'm excited about the potential of Blake Roberts (another former LB), Austin Terry and Murphy. And we haven't even mentioned that Matt Anderson - a high school RB/S played extensive minutes as a true freshman. McFarland is going to be REAL good.

We'd all love to land a Mario Edwards, Javonte McGhee, Jemario Rasco and especially a Reggie Wilson - I just think, for whatever reason, that LOHCGP's defense relies on DE skills that are not prototypical for the position.

Yeah I think Clifton Murphy, Blake Roberts, and Matt Anderson all have the chance to be real good. (Austin Terry is going to be a LB though according to reports). I just feel like we aren't developing a ton of depth at that position, and we're relying a lot on potential. If there's a couple injuries or a couple guys don't pan out, we could be hurting.

And I'm very excited about McFarland, I just want one or two more of him in this class.

talor

Lets give the new guys a chance. I'm excited about the potential of Blake Roberts (another former LB)

I too am excited about Roberts. He moved really well for a LB and is not listed at 6'4" 242..
He likely will be 2nd or 3rd string this year, but in 2012 we will be fielding what could be the most talented DL we have seen in a while.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
OK one more out of SoFla:

ATH/WR James Brooks 5-9/195/4.4 Groveland, FL (South Lake) trans from Oacala, FL (Forest)

Overall MVP winner at UA camp

“My passion is to play receiver, but whatever I can go to college for and get my education paid for, is fine with me,” he said.

Of course, there is the possibility he moves to another spot on the field in time. Luckily, for Brooks, he has proven to be quite the “all-purpose” athlete for Forest over the last two years.

“I played defense, a little safety, corner, rover and linebacker. I played a little bit of quarterback and running back in the spring,” Brooks recalled. “I've basically played all of the skill positions on the field.”

From Swamp247 (Florida):

And as to where he might want to spend his college years playing football? If Brooks has it his way, he won't be going too far from home.

“I always wanted to play for Florida,” he added. “It's every kid's dream to play for Florida.”

But what if things don't work out for the Gators? Then what?

“If I can't play for Florida, I'd probably go out-of-state for college,” Brooks said. “Maybe a place like Ohio State, TCU or Cal. Any team that runs an offense that can work me into the passing game.”

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Probably need to start a new thread, but 2 more dbs to follow and one is from SoFla (Burns getting in some travel time down there):

Ezra Robinson 6-0/175/4.45 Sarasota, FL (Booker) plays wide receiver, corner, safety, and even OLB for his school, 1st team at the US Army National Combine, Co-Defensive MVP at IMG Madden Football Academy Kick-off Weekend.

From IMG Madden Football Academy defensive backs coach Mike Hawthorne on Robinson:

“Ezra is a very explosive athlete. He is a rangy defensive back who can cover great distance on the ground, provide a strong initial punch at the line scrimmage with his long arms to jam a receiver, and he has tremendous leaping ability. If the ball is up in the air and he leaves the ground, he’s going to get it. Ezra has all the tools to be a special defensive back at corner or safety.”

D.J. Singleton 6-2/200/4.46 Jersey City, NJ (St. Peter's Prep) SS/RB Offered by Miami, Rut and NC and favors OhioSt but Florida, LSU, Oregon, TCU and Georgia also showing heavy interest.

Video: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/70826/dj-singleton