• The KillerFrogs

You Make The Call - 2019

Mean Purple

So it struck me today … we all site here trying to remember rules we have learned over the years, along with updates we have read about, mostly from Zebra, and come of with an answer to these question. On one of them, I sat there for 5 minutes making the effort to give my best at answering. But Zebra and other refs, have to think of all of this with near instant decision.

Easy to see why GP rarely goes after a ref.

Question #11

1/10 on B-5. A80 controls a pass in the air in B's end zone, gets both feet down and is then hit by a defender causing him to go to the ground where he loses possession of the ball. The pass is ruled incomplete due to the receiver going to the ground and losing possession of the ball. Correctly ruled.
TRUE OR FALSE
FALSE - This is a TD. The receiver was not going to the ground to make the catch.

Question #12

Fourth and 10 for A from the A-20. B1 is in position to catch A3’s high punt. B3 is in front of B1 and attempts to legally block A4, but A4 shoves B3 above the waist from the front. The contact causes B3 to bump into B1 just as he is attempting to catch the ball at the 50 yard line. The ball bounces off B1’s hands to the ground and is recovered by A5 at B-45 yard line. B1’s touching of the ball is ignored because A4 caused the contact.
True or False

Question #12

Fourth and 10 for A from the A-20. B1 is in position to catch A3’s high punt. B3 is in front of B1 and attempts to legally block A4, but A4 shoves B3 above the waist from the front. The contact causes B3 to bump into B1 just as he is attempting to catch the ball at the 50 yard line. The ball bounces off B1’s hands to the ground and is recovered by A5 at B-45 yard line. B1’s touching of the ball is ignored because A4 caused the contact.
True or False
False
B1 is considered to have touched the ball. It would be A’s ball, 1st and 10.

Question #13

On a Try from B's 8 year line, A2 takes the snap and advances to B's 4 yard line and fumbles (going for 2 points after a 5 yard penalty). The fumble rolls into B's end zone where B1 bats the ball across the end line. This is a foul for illegally batting in the end zone and results in a 1 point safety for Team A.

True or False

Mean Purple

Question #13

On a Try from B's 8 year line, A2 takes the snap and advances to B's 4 yard line and fumbles (going for 2 points after a 5 yard penalty). The fumble rolls into B's end zone where B1 bats the ball across the end line. This is a foul for illegally batting in the end zone and results in a 1 point safety for Team A.

True or False
False.

Question #13

True or False
FALSE
For BrewingFrog, let's go through this play and break it down.
To be a 1-point safety, Team B would have had to put the ball in it's own end zone.
The ball rolls into B's end zone as a result of A's fumble, so a 1-point safety can be ruled out. (this would automatically make the answer to the question False)
Batting the ball in an end zone is always a foul, but where would the enforcement spot be?
Illegal batting is enforced from the end-of-the-run
The end-of-the-run was B's 4 yard line, thus the enforcement spot is from the 4.
The result of the penalty is that it's A's ball at B's 2-yard line and Team A will replay the Try from the 2.
Tricky? Maybe a little. :)

Now that is a new one on me! I did not know that a team could score a 1-point safety.
See, you can learn something by reading this thread. :)
I haven’t seen one in years, but here is an example of how it can happen:
On a one-point try attempt, Team A’s kick is blocked and B75 recovers at the 2-yard line. B75 then fumbles and the ball rolls into the end zone, where B61 recovers while grounded. Ruling: Safety. Award Team A one point.