• The KillerFrogs

You Make The Call - 2019

Thought I would throw another question in.

Question #6
On a sweep play toward the sideline, linebacker B55 goes out of bounds to avoid a block. Guard A66 is leading the play, and just as he steps on the sideline with his front foot he drives his shoulder in the waist at the front of B55 who is still out of bounds.
Ruling: Personal foul for blocking a player while out of bounds.
True of False

4 Oaks Frog

Trrruue? No, No False...I mean True! Yeah, that is it, True, no I mean False! Yes, True/False is true...
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe], True!!

Thought I would throw another question in.

Question #6
On a sweep play toward the sideline, linebacker B55 goes out of bounds to avoid a block. Guard A66 is leading the play, and just as he steps on the sideline with his front foot he drives his shoulder in the waist at the front of B55 who is still out of bounds.
Ruling: Personal foul for blocking a player while out of bounds.
True of False

Answer: False The player must have both feet out of bounds and block for it to be a personal foul. In this example, A66 only had one foot out of bounds.

Question #7

The ball carrier advances to the B-2 where he is hit. The ball comes out before the runner is down, goes into the end zone and over the end line. The Line Judge blows his whistle when he rules the ball carrier's knee touching the ground.
Ruling: This type of play is Reviewable by replay ONLY if there is clear recovery or the ball goes out of bounds in the immediate continuing action. Reverse to A's ball at the B-2 yard line.

True or False

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If memory serves, the whistle stops the action. Because of the inadvertent whistle, ball is spotted where the runner was "down." So, false.

On the new rule regarding blindside blocks, like the famous Baylor kicker getting laid out, how is the field of vision judged? By the shoulders? Angle of the head?

Question #7, CLARIFICATION
The last sentence of the question should have read: The ball remains in A's possession at the B-2 yard line due to the whistle by the LJ ruling the runner down.
TRUE OR FALSE

On the new rule regarding blindside blocks, like the famous Baylor kicker getting laid out, how is the field of vision judged? By the shoulders? Angle of the head?

Good question. In very simple terms, if the Baylor kicker had been able to see the block coming and could reasonably defend himself against the block, then it would not be a foul. What you won't be seeing this year is the "blow-up" block that fans/teammates enjoyed seeing. The block can be from the front or the side, but the player getting blocked must be able to see the hit coming. Plus, it needs to be with force. It will be a fairly easy call on the field. There is no disqualification unless the hit includes targeting. Only if targeting is called is it reviewable.

Question #7

The ball carrier advances to the B-2 where he is hit. The ball comes out before the runner is down, goes into the end zone and over the end line. The Line Judge blows his whistle when he rules the ball carrier's knee touching the ground.
Ruling: This type of play is Reviewable by replay ONLY if there is clear recovery or the ball goes out of bounds in the immediate continuing action. The ball remains in A's possession at the B-2 yard line due to the whistle by the LJ ruling the runner's knee down.
True or False

Answer: The answer is FALSE. It is reviewable to see if the ball was fumbled "prior" to the knee being down. In this case, it wasn't, and due to the fact the ball went out of the end zone, the Replay Official would Reverse to B having the ball, first and 10 at the B-20, due to it being a Touchback.

Question #8

Team A has the ball second and 8 at the B-26. A11 runs for a TD as time expires in the 4th quarter. After the TD, the score is A30, B40. Team A goes for 2 and is successful, making the final score A32, B40.
Tru or False

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Question #8

Team A has the ball second and 8 at the B-26. A11 runs for a TD as time expires in the 4th quarter. After the TD, the score is A30, B40. Team A goes for 2 and is successful, making the final score A32, B40.
Tru or False

I'm guessing the answer is False--due to some new rule that says if the extra point(s) don't impact the final win/lose outcome, there won't be any chance for Team A to attempt either a kicked extra point or going for two.

A win for TV networks who want the games to be shorter; a potential loss for sports gamblers.

Purp

Question #8

Tru or False
False. Isn't there a subsequent kickoff? Unless it's impossible for an onside kick to be advanced by the recovering team, in which case I can see it being over. But if the receiving team never touches it and the kicking team recovers in the end zone it would be possible to score a TD on a kickoff without advancing the ball.