• The KillerFrogs

You Make The Call - 2019

Question #14 (an easy one to answer)

Fourth and goal for Team A on Team B's 5 yard line. Team A's legal forward pass incomplete, but Team B interfered on its 1 yard line. RULING: First and goal for Team A on Team B's 1 yard line.

TRUE OR FALSE

Mean Purple

Question #14 (an easy one to answer)

Fourth and goal for Team A on Team B's 5 yard line. Team A's legal forward pass incomplete, but Team B interfered on its 1 yard line. RULING: First and goal for Team A on Team B's 1 yard line.

TRUE OR FALSE
False.
Ball was snapped at the 5 (outside of the 2 and inside [I think, 15 ... but would seem like it would be 17 considering the 2 yard designation]). So the ball is placed on the 2.

Purp

False.
Ball was snapped at the 5 (outside of the 2 and inside [I think, 15 ... but would seem like it would be 17 considering the 2 yard designation]). So the ball is placed on the 2.
I think true b/c I think PI is a spot foul if it occurs inside of 15 years from the LoS. Strangely, if the PI had occurred one yard further up field in the end zone I think you'd be right that it's spotted at the 2.

Mean Purple

I think true b/c I think PI is a spot foul if it occurs inside of 15 years from the LoS. Strangely, if the PI had occurred one yard further up field in the end zone I think you'd be right that it's spotted at the 2.
Can you imagine having to make some of these calls with 80,000 fans ready to go psycho on ya?
I am guessing there is a lot of top notch competition to be a D1 Ref.

The following will be scenarios that could occur during the course of a game. I will attempt to do 1 a day. If they do come up in a game, hopefully, you will understand what is taking place on the field a little better. Who knows? The person/persons sitting around you will not have a clue, and you can become the expert, if only for that one play. The season is starting in 8 days, and I should be able to provide enough scenarios to get to the Purdue game. After that, if you have a question about something that happened in a game, chances are I didn't see it, but will be able to help explain it. In no way will I comment on any judgment calls. That is not fair to the calling official.

Play Scenario #1

Third and 20 on the B-40. Late in the first half, both teams have one timeout remaining. Receiver A88 controls a pass at the B-25 and is hit immediately by B37 and goes to the ground with 0:40 remaining on the game clock. The Back Judge throws his flag and the Referee announces, "personal foul - targeting." Replays show B37 lead with his shoulder and hit A88 in the chest before he was able to complete the catch and protect himself.

A 4th and 5 on the B-25, no targeting, potential 10 second runoff. There is no foul for targeting since B37 did not make forcible contact to the head/neck area or with the crown of his helmet. The ruling on the field stopped the clock, but the correct ruling (no foul) would have allowed the clock to continue running, so there is a runoff. Either team can use a timeout to negate the runoff and the clock would remain at 0:40 and start on the snap. If neither team takes a TO, then the clock goes to 0:30 and starts on the Ready.

Play Scenario #2
Second and Goal on the B-8. Receiver A80 controls a pass in the end zone near the sideline while airborne and pins the ball to his left shoulder with both of his hands. He gets a foot down inbounds as he falls to the ground and when he lands on his back out of bounds the ball pops into the air. He regains control before it hits the ground. The Side Judge rules Touchdown.

A's ball, Third and Goal on the B-8. A80 is going to the ground to make the catch and must either maintain control when he lands or perform an act common to the game on the way to the ground. He does neither, so the pass is incomplete. In the field of play, this would be a catch since the ball never touched the ground, but in this play since it came loose when he hit the ground out of bounds, it is incomplete.

Play Scenario #3
Fourth and 2 on the B-42. QBA1 throws a quick screen pass from the B-45 to A80 near the sideline. A80 muffs the ball at the B-46 where it hits the ground and players from both teams attempt to recover. The ball is muffed forward and goes out of bounds at the B-39. The officials spot the ball at the B-41.

A's ball First and 10 on the B-39. This is a backward pass so the spot will be wherever the ball goes out of bounds. Thince that spot involved the line to can, it can be reviewed. The ball went OB beyond the line to gain, therefore it is a 1st down for Team A.

Heh. No "Stabler Rule" Eh?
Well, that could be interpreted as a "bat" which is illegal if towards your opponent's goal line. There is nothing wrong with batting a ball toward's your own goal line. If there is a "scrum" and players attempting to recover a loose ball, unless it's very obvious, I doubt you would see batting called.

Play scenario #4
This isn't a scenario, but a rule that I think might occur during a game, and could confuse some fans. It has to do with how much time is put on the play clock after the game clock is stopped for an injury.
1. The play clock will be set at 40 seconds for an injury to a player of the defensive team and at 25 seconds for an injury to a player of the offensive team.
2. If there is a 10-second runoff the game clock will start on the Referee's signal. If there is no 10-second runoff the game clock will start on the snap.
3. The 10-second runoff may be avoided by the use of a charged team timeout if available.
4. There is no option of a 10-second runoff if there injuries to opposing players.
A 10-second runoff could result in the end of the game.

If the player injury is the ONLY reason for stopping the clock (other than his or a teammate's helmet coming off), with less than one minute in the half, the opponent has the option of a 10-second runoff.

Was this instituted to try and cut down on the "phantom injury" stopping the clock late in the game?
To curtail a possible time-gaining advantage by feigning injuries, attention is directed to the strongly worded statement in The Football Code (Coaching Ethics, Section g) which says, "Feigning an injury for any reason is unethical. An injured player must be given full protection under the rules, but feigning injury is dishonest, unsportsmanlike, and contrary to the spirit of the rules. Such tactics cannot be tolerated among sportsmen of integrity."

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
To curtail a possible time-gaining advantage by feigning injuries, attention is directed to the strongly worded statement in The Football Code (Coaching Ethics, Section g) which says, "Feigning an injury for any reason is unethical. An injured player must be given full protection under the rules, but feigning injury is dishonest, unsportsmanlike, and contrary to the spirit of the rules. Such tactics cannot be tolerated among sportsmen of integrity."
Heh. And we all know that such things never happen...

Good explanation on the rule! Knowing just a little bit more might help with the inevitable bewilderment at some junctures in the game.

Play scenario #5
Instant Replay / Dead Ball and Loose Ball
QB A12 is hit while attempting to throw a forward pass and the Referee rules an incomplete pass. The ball hits the ground and bounces back into Team A's end zone where it goes into a pile of players from both teams that scramble for the ball. The ball is clearly in the end zone. After review, Replay determines that it was clear and obvious that A12 fumbles the ball.
RULING: There is no clear recovery by the defensive team, so a touchdown cannot be awarded. However, the ball is obviously in the end zone where someone recovered while grounded, making the ball dead by rule: SAFETY. The on-field ruling of an incomplete pass is therefore reversed to fumble and a safety.
Key words: No clear recovery by the defensive team which would give them a TD.
What if this happened in the field of play??? The on-field ruling of an incomplete pass would stand. A would retain possession of the ball.

Final scenario before the season starts:

Due to fact BrewingFrog was under the impression that the whistle killed the play, and "inadvertent whistles" happen
occasionally, here are a couple of examples. Doubt it will ever happen, but in case it does:

1. Team A punts on fourth and 15 at the A-30. B44 is in position to receive the kick. In attempting to catch the ball, B44 muffs it at the B-35. The Back Judge blows his whistle when it appears that B44 is catching the ball, but it rolls along the ground after B44 muffs it. A88 chases the ball, and in the immediate continuing football action, he recovers it while grounded at the B-30. RULING: for games without Instant Replay: Inadvertent whistle rule applies. The ball is returned to the previous spot and the down repeated. Team A, fourth and 15 at the A-30. For games with Instant Replay: Team A will have the ball at the B-30, first and 10.

2. Team A punts on fourth and 15 at the A-30. B44 is in position to receive the kick. In attempting to catch the ball, B44 muffs it at the B-35. The Back Judge blows his whistle when it appears that B44 is catching the ball, but it rolls along the ground after B44 muffs it. The ball disappears into a pile of players. RULING: for games without Instant Replay: Inadvertent whistle applies. The ball is returned to the previous spot and the down repeated. Team A, fourth and 15 at the A-30. For games with Instant Replay: Inadvertent whistle applies. Since the Instant Replay official does not have indisputable video evidence as to which team recovers, the ruling of the dead ball stands. Team B's ball, first and 10 at the B-35.

I will be at the kfc lunch tomorrow and hope to meet a few of you.